GW2 overheating my GPU [AMD RADEON HD 6850]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Xalon.2830

Xalon.2830

This also causes me to force restart goes to temps of 101 and 102 and this is just me testing in character select. I’m wondering why because skyrim,dota 2 etc. dont do this to me… Are there any tips to fix this? IM on the settings appropriate for my card. I think fan speed increasing will help me stop this but what program? Im currently trying evgma

Im a launch player btw always played ultra no problems support u can check I logged in on day 1 even though that character doesnt exist

Xalon.2830

Also with games like Metro 2033 at ABSOLUTE MAX the card is at 63 why with GW2 only at high it do this? and not even populated part just character creation it was like that

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

Different games have different shading techniques and different GPU usage scenarios. But for your GPU to be going past 100C is leading me to believe you have a faulty heatsink connection, “very” poor case ventilation, or are overvolting/clocking a lot on-top of those factors.

I have a totally different architecture card, but my 7850 at max gets around 65C with GW2. Back when I had my faulty 7850 card though (bad heatsink connection), temps would easily rise past 100C.

As for Metro, does it actually show high GPU usage and at high framerate? I can use highest-settings on Crysis 3, and only get 10 FPS, and have relatively low GPU temps, compared to a game that has high FPS, and low-graphics settings.

Posted by: Hoof.1523

Hoof.1523

clean the fan from dust and make sure u have a framelimter on in some way vsync/framelimter. gw2 normaly dosnt overheat the gpu but the cpu mostly, so also check ur cpu temp it can lead ur grafik card to overheat cause of bad ventilation if its running quite hot.

(edited by Hoof.1523)

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Software cannot directly cause hardware to overheat. All* hardware is designed to run at max load in all forms, not just direct GPU load.
If your card is hitting 100c then its deffinatly got a physical issue causing it.
It will ‘likely’ be one of hte following.
1)Fans not working/to slow (change fan profile)
2)Fans/heatsink clogged/dirty (clean them)
3)Extremely poor case airflow (keep case vents unobstructed and ensure intake and out fans are working)
4)GPU heatsink/TIM issues (reseat the heatsink with new TIM)
5)faulty GPU (RMA/downclock)

As i said hardware is designed to run at max loads, there may be ways to eleviate this issue on a software side but that will not fix the route cause, it wil just hide it. Make sure to fix the issue at the source (the graphics card).

*Exceptions to this rule are when using very low performing hardware and/or laptop bassed hardware that is aimed to be used lightly and not put under heavy load for extended lengths.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

This also causes me to force restart goes to temps of 101 and 102 and this is just me testing in character select. I’m wondering why because skyrim,dota 2 etc. dont do this to me… Are there any tips to fix this? IM on the settings appropriate for my card. I think fan speed increasing will help me stop this but what program? Im currently trying evgma

Im a launch player btw always played ultra no problems support u can check I logged in on day 1 even though that character doesnt exist

Try fps limiters. Like 60/30 in the video settings. If this isnt happening in other games I wouldnt recommend anything other than this. Simply force v-sync on gw2 if the in-game frame limiter doesnt solve this.

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Most likely, it’s a combination of dust and the card needs new thermal grease between the GPU and the heatsink. I did mine a while back, but it wasn’t getting nearly as hot as yours.

Anyway, here’s a couple of pics to give you an idea of what the repair involves (sorry for the slight blur, I’m not a great photographer – especially with my cell phone):

Attachments:

Xalon.2830

It was the fan and I got it up so temperatures are pretty good now but I still get a black screen issue like most people from 7770 its been since i upgraded to latest non beta driver where can I download a older one?