Game Crashes my PC

Game Crashes my PC

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

Problem occured yesterday while I was playing spvp. My PC would randomly shutdown, then I’d get a 5 short beeps from the mobo being unable to turn it back on for the next 5 minutes. I’ve tried running different kinds of stress test on my CPU and my GPU and everything is in order. The PC only freezes in GW2 and from what I’ve noticed, so far only in Heart of the Mists/sPvP Games. My specs are:

Mobo: Asrock P67 Pro3
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4GHz
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 2×2GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel @ 1600MHz

The system with the current OC has been stable for about 3 years and I’ve been playing GW2 since release with no issues. Judging by all the new threads being created it is definitely some sort of code change during the past few days that makes many systems crash. I hope you resolve the issue soon.

(edited by Burn.5401)

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

“My PC would randomly shutdown, then I’d get a 5 short beeps from the mobo being unable to turn it back on for the next 5 minutes. "

This is a hardware issue. Software will not cause what you are describing.

A good place to start would be substituting a known good power supply in your system.

Game Crashes my PC

Burn.5401

As I said I’ve done hours of testing in various other games/troubleshoot programs etc.
Today I played WvW for 6+ hours with no issues whatsoever then I got in an sPvP game and crash after 10 minutes.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

And as Abomally said, it’s a hardware issue. Try doing what he said.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

If your system is Beeping at you 5 times on shut down, its a hardware error, you should check the motherboard manual for the beep codes, and see what 5 is.

Different Bios use different code setups to identify problems, if its 5 rapid short beeps its leaning towards hardware failure, the fact you cannot turn it on again suggests heat issue too, you should probably read up on the codes before continuing to play the game incase you to perm damage to your system.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/ami-beep-codes.htm

That is the only Bios I can find that uses 5 beep codes like you say.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: gelfling.6049

gelfling.6049

But here’s the thing: since the last Living Story update, there has been an unusually large number of people who went from a perfectly playable game to these constant freezes and restarts. Taken individually, yeah, they feel like hardware problems, but taken as a whole, it definitely seems like SOMETHING went wrong with the last patch.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

But here’s the thing: since the last Living Story update, there has been an unusually large number of people who went from a perfectly playable game to these constant freezes and restarts. Taken individually, yeah, they feel like hardware problems, but taken as a whole, it definitely seems like SOMETHING went wrong with the last patch.

It doesn’t matter what they “feel” like. This issue is a hardware problem. Period.

I have been doing this (repairing PC’s and much more) for quite a long time.

Game Crashes my PC

Avelos.6798

As Ok I Did It said, you should consider reading up the manual for the beep codes. I wouldn’t use it until I know what it was. For all you know, you could be damaging your PC depending on what that beep code means.

Game Crashes my PC

Burn.5401

I guess it was a wrong idea to write for support in these forums. Going to make a ticket instead.

Game Crashes my PC

Avelos.6798

I can’t fathom how you can continue to believe that it’s software related. Well, the PC shutting down and such, sure. But whatever was happening could have put enough load on your system to shut off, or a specific kind of load, but the motherboard doing it’s beeping has NOTHING to do with the game and is the result of a hardware fault of some sort. Maybe you should actually try what others have stated already. I’m fairly certain we know what we are talking about.

If it only does that with Guild Wars 2, then the only thing I can think of is that it’s stressing the RAM and the CPU since this is what the game does. Like a few of us have said, check your motherboard’s manual for the beep code. The game may have caused your PC to restart or shutdown, but something else is making the board beep and is up to you to figure out what it is, assuming you have a manual for that board.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Even the shutdown is never “directly” a problem of the game. When its a driver problem.

The following may happen :
GW2 tells DirectX to draw a circle. DirectX tells your NVidia Driver to draw the circle.
NVidia has again released a crappy driver and baaang .. Blue-Screen

I wasted endless hours with those NVidia drivers when i played Age of Conan and had an NVidia card. It was always as soon as there were some blue wet glowing structures and after a while a noticed it also only happened with Shader 3.0 .. Shader 2.0 was fine.

After testing different driver i found out that version 164.xx was fine an much more stable than the current 170.xx

Years later when playing Lotro i also learned that those NVidia Drivers hated SB-Live Soundcards and that thats also a reason of constant bluescreens.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Game Crashes my PC

Ok I Did It.2854

I guess it was a wrong idea to write for support in these forums. Going to make a ticket instead.

Be sure to come back and let us know what the specs of your new PC are after support cannot help you with your hardware fault, if you really do not wish to believe its hardware related, why not go into your local PC shop and tell them exactly what you told us, and im willing to bet they will say do not use the computer its a hardware fault.

Good Luck either way.

Game Crashes my PC

Burn.5401

Be sure to come back and let us know what the specs of your new PC are after support cannot help you with your hardware fault, if you really do not wish to believe its hardware related, why not go into your local PC shop and tell them exactly what you told us, and im willing to bet they will say do not use the computer its a hardware fault.

Good Luck either way.

Hey, support already helped me out and I’m playing without any problems right now with the exact same rig. Thanks for being so concerned though.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

GPU: GTX 560 Ti

/me facepalms. “NVidia. Typically.”

Your GPU may have a faulty firmware (not driver, but software burnt in your GPU). NVidia has, to cut down power usage, intentionally undervolted GTX500 series GPUs which made them unstable if on high usage pressure, i.e. high amount of shader usage.

See also:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120806

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208480/discussions/0/864951657971133033/#c864951657987042797

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9423292457#13

The only solution is to correct the VCore manually with the OC tools shipped by your GPU manufacturer. NOTE THAT THIS WILL VOID WARRANTY AND MAY DAMAGE YOUR GPU IF DONE WRONG

nVidia failed twice for me in a row. First, they castrated OpenGL rendering functions from their GTX400 series to “force” higher sales on Quadro series cards, then they failed on the GTX500 series. AMD Radeon GPUs are, for about the same performance, cheaper even.

(edited by Ettanin.8271)

Game Crashes my PC

Avelos.6798

Well good for you that your issue is apparently solved. If the mobo beeping happens again, check your board manual.

Game Crashes my PC

Posted by: DanielGames.5198

DanielGames.5198

Good Luck either way.

Hey, support already helped me out and I’m playing without any problems right now with the exact same rig. Thanks for being so concerned though.

Well what was the solution? You’re not the only one having hard shutdown problems here

Game Crashes my PC

Ok I Did It.2854

Good Luck either way.

That’s good, but either you told support something different from what you told us here, or there “fix” in the most likely game settings has only slightly changed the stress load on whatever hardware part was failing,

Bios beep codes are there for a reason, they are a warning to let you know something isn’t as it should be, sooner or later whatever is under stress will give up and fail completely.