Game Freezes to Black Screen (with sound and gold arrow only)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

I purchased GW2 a few days ago and have had it crash on me 3 times so far. After playing for 30 minutes or so, during combat usually, I am getting a black screen. When I press ctrl + alt + delete, I get an error message (attached).

I read the sticky topic for Nvidia drivers, and yes “Antialiasing – Mode” is set to Application-controlled.

I haven’t had this issue with any other games. I’ve played the Witcher 2 with no problems whatsoever, as well as ME3, SWTOR, etc.

The only thing that might be an issue is my internet/router. I am playing from wireless. But as it is saying a graphics error, I am assuming that is not the problem.

So far I have been able to forcefully shut down the game without doing a hard reset, but I’d prefer it not get to that point. Are there any known incompatibilities with my particular system?

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V deluxe – LGA 1155
CPU: i7 3770k @3.5Ghz
GPU: Asus GTX670-DC2T
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 (7-8-8-24) 1.5V
PSU: 850W

All my drivers are up to date.

Attachments:

(edited by Penarddun.6827)

Posted by: cjadthenord.4928

cjadthenord.4928

A lot of people are getting this error, myself included. My build is very current, yet incredibly different from yours. In fact, I’ve had this issue happen on two completely builds as well (one on an Intel with an ATI card, and now on an AMD with an ATI card).

From the posts I see, there seems to be no common factor with these black screen hangs. They just HAPPEN to certain people. No one in my guild experiences them but me.

Sorry to not have anything for you, but just thought I’d let you know you aren’t alone in this problem. It’s been happening to me since the three day headstart. I can’t do dungeons, WvW, sPvP, or anything except leveling in PvE. :C

Officer and Co-Founder of “The Power of Friendship”
Isle of Janthir Murderbot; let me kill your face!
Look at my charming hat! <|:D

Posted by: Dksopp.6092

Dksopp.6092

You guys are not alone, I have the the same thing since I upgraded my card to 660 Ti from 8800 GT. When you alt tab to desktop while it freeze, you could see nvidia driver notification saying driver failed and reseting. After the driver reset in like 10 sec, you can continue playing, tho you would probably die if u are in combat in wvw or dungeon. and the frame rate will drop dramatically for like 15-30min.

And ya, many of my guildies does not encounter this somehow. but i think its a driver related issue with nvidia new series. Btw, did you try the latest driver 306.97 or 306.63? I seems to encounter the issue way less now with these. from once in 30min – a few hrs to once or twice a day. QQ i wish there is a beta driver that fits the card and the game.

Penarddun.6827

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It does make me feel a bit better to know I’m not alone in this. I have only done PvE so far, but have died a couple of times because of it. I was used to having issues with my old PC, and having to jump through hoops to get a game to work, but I had thought new games would be compatible with new graphics cards. I can’t help but be a little perturbed I just spent $60 for a game I can’t play.

“and the frame rate will drop dramatically for like 15-30min.”

Yes! I couldn’t figure out why this was happening. I was changing the frame rate settings and then all of a sudden the game started to slow down and I checked and they were at 20-30 fps. I restarted the game when I saw this.

With the variety of graphics cards that are experiencing problems, it’s not really up to us to try and tweak our systems so maybe this one game will work (possibly causing problems with tons of other games/software). Is there any research going into fixing this problem? Will sending them my system info help, or are they not really looking into it that much?

Posted by: Horse.3580

Horse.3580

Exact same issue here as well. Everything will be running fine then randomly crash. Yesterday 3 times in 1 CM run, when the day before I ran it twice with no issues. I’ve tried the solutions I can find but none have seemed to help.
I’m running on windows 7 pro 64 bit
CPU – i5 661 @ 3.33GHz
4gb ram
GPU – GTX 550 ti (306.97 drivers)

Hope we can get an answer to this soon.

[AoS]Hoarse
Tankromancer
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Dksopp.6092

Dksopp.6092

Just to share a bit of experience after updating 306.97 driver and config 3D profile according to the sticking post for 2 days.

Not sure whether i didnt play enough or not, (6 hrs after work) I havent encounter any freezing or shuttering these 2 days.

frame rate is good, pve area 100-180, wvw 60+

if you guys havent try those yet, may worth a try.

Posted by: ZenBlade.6487

ZenBlade.6487

I had the same issue with an ATi/AMD card and I used this driver sweeper and the problem has gone away.

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Follow the steps as instructed. Won’t hurt to try even if it isn’t the fix. Make sure to run it as administrator if on Vista/7. After you’re done, reboot to normal Windows mode and reload the current newest drivers.

Penarddun.6827

I changed my ram settings in the bios to 1600 (seemed they were defaulting to 1333 before). Although I can’t imagine that being all that bad, since it’s more than enough.

I’m about to try again today, I will see if I get any crashes.

What exactly does that driver sweeper do? What are they referring to with “driver leftovers?” My computer is only 3 months old and the only drivers on it are the ones that I specifically installed myself.

Posted by: ZenBlade.6487

ZenBlade.6487

Well it may not be the fix in your case, but for me I was running out of options and figured I’d try it. I’ve had my system a while though so I’ve upgraded video drivers many times. You run it under safe mode so that only native VGA drivers are loaded, not the specific video card drivers and since you already have done the step to uninstall the current drivers before running this, it will scan for rogue files and registry keys related to the brand of driver (NVidia/AMD) and clean them all out. You then boot back to Windows normal mode and reinstall the latest drivers fresh. Hope it helps, as it did for me, but I’m sure it’s not necessarily the same issue with everyone, seems too easy for that. Hopefully though some that try it are successful like I was.

Penarddun.6827

Played all last night and it didn’t crash once. Played this afternoon and I got 2 crashes per hour, 3 in the last 25 minutes. And not all in combat anymore, pretty much anywhere. Talking to an NPC, walking around, turning the camera too fast. Anything.

Same thing, black screen, alt+esc, and I see the error message attached above, and then I have to “end task” on the program. Luckily my computer has not frozen up with it, the crashes seem to be completely isolated to the game itself.

The latest driver for my card is the 306.02 (beta), from 9/14/12.

(edited by Penarddun.6827)