Game crash with GTX 1080

Game crash with GTX 1080

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Jathra.9327

Jathra.9327

Hi, I just upgraded from a GTX 680 to a GTX 1080 on win7.

I have run GW2 flawlessly for years on the 680 but with the 1080, about 5-30 seconds after I load the game the GPU fans instantly shoot to 100% and both screens black out and the sound starts looping.

I have to hold the power button on the pc to get anywhere from that point onward.

I have another friend who has the same card (EVGA GTX 1080 FTW) and is having the exact same problem with GW2 and GW2 only. I didn’t search the entire help forum for this topic but I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem with the 1080 and if there is a known issue or fix to it.

I know the usual first answer is try changing your graphics driver. My friend has already tried several versions with no success and since I am getting the exact same crash I am assuming it is not a driver related issue, or if it is, all the driver versions are effected.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Game crash with GTX 1080

Posted by: Jathra.9327

Jathra.9327

Hm, think I fixed it with a combination of a driver rollback, turning shadows from ultra down to high and putting back on vsync. Disregard above message for now. Seems odd that I would have to do that on a GTX 1080 but as long as it plays well its fine.

Game crash with GTX 1080

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

I am bumping this thread because I have the same issue, and I am unable to resolve it with the suggested fix. CPU freezes up, requiring a hard reboot.

I have a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti card with an i7 7700

Windows 10

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

(edited by MrSilver.5269)

Game crash with GTX 1080

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I am bumping this thread because I have the same issue, and I am unable to resolve it with the suggested fix. CPU freezes up, requiring a hard reboot.

Windows 10

can you post your windows event logs of the freezing event?

Game crash with GTX 1080

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

Windows 10

How do I do that?

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Game crash with GTX 1080

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

It’s worth noting that a hardware failure like that just after a hardware upgrade suggests that there may be hardware related issues at heart — especially seeing as how you describe a whole system lockup.

I’d encourage you to investigate overheating, card mis-seating, power supply, etc, issues and see if you can’t eliminate the hardware problem that is leading to this crash.

It’s not impossible that it is software related, but it seems unlikely since most people with those cards don’t experience these problems. (Note: there were some shadow rendering issues recently, but they did not cause hangs or lock-ups.)

Game crash with GTX 1080

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Windows 10

How do I do that?

i believe the defaults for vista and up is in SystemRoot\System32\Winevt\Logs directory.

You have to post the *.evt and *.evtx files.

I just want to load those logs up on windows event viewer and find all those errors + warnings. you can take a look yourself.

win key
search evt
run evt

you can view it yourself

Either way, I am suspecting psu issues thou. I wonder if it can be other problems like tdr timeout etc. I dont wanna guess

(edited by loseridoit.2756)