Game crashes, Radeon 6870

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Kayne.1389

Kayne.1389

My computer has been able to run Guild Wars 2 perfectly fine since I had installed it, however, recently my game has been crashing periodically, and causing me to restart my computer. I’ve gotten a blue screen once before, but after doing a few tests my GPU temps are only at around 60 so I don’t believe it’s overheated.

When this happens, everything I open becomes glitchy and and I get “rays” across my screen.

Are there any known issues with this card? Or are there specific drivers that do not work?

Thanks

(edited by Kayne.1389)

Posted by: vaulttech.5296

vaulttech.5296

I have a XFX Radeon HD 6870 1gb card and it has not had any problems so far. I am running on the most current drivers, 12.8

The only thing I can think of is check for the newest drivers?

Posted by: Roe.7490

Roe.7490

If you could, please post the dump files / logs.

Also, try uninstalling (clean uninstall) the drivers and then updating to the latest version.

Kayne.1389

Would the dump file happen to be the .DMP? I am currently re-installing my drivers.

Posted by: Roe.7490

Roe.7490

Yes.

Also, do you recall the BSOD error code?

Kayne.1389

Unforunately, I don’t remember the BSOD error code, and the forums are not allowing me to directly upload the .dmp file, is there another way to post it? I’ve reinstalled all of my drivers at this point.

Posted by: dave.5913

dave.5913

If you are getting graphics artifacts and lines actoss your video, it sounds like a hardware failure. This would also cause the game to crash.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your GPU is probably dying.

Kayne.1389

I dont believe this is the case, because I play tons of games on a day to day basis and the only game that has this problem is Guild Wars. Also, there are many times where the game simply freezes without artifacts and lines, and it simply freezes and stops responding.

Posted by: dave.5913

dave.5913

Not when the artifacts carry over to other applications..That indicates the video card.. Especially since you have made no changes and the problem suddenly appeared.
What other games have you played since GW2 started crashing. Maybe you should test some games that are fairly GPU intensive.
I could be wrong about it. But it has been my experience that screen artifacts are a symtom of a failing GPU.

(edited by dave.5913)

Kayne.1389

I have been playing WoW, League of Legends, and Dota 2 since I’ve had this problem. I’ve “tested” by playing them today and yesterday. Luckily, I havn’t found any problems with these games.

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

Kindly go to control panel → Administrative tools → Event viewer, then look for windows logs under it would have system logs filter the logs for any Errors or Warning and check the date , time and Event ID of the errors or warning due to crash.

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Zaron.1687

Zaron.1687

Appearantly this game HATES ATI. I have the same problem, with a slightly newer card, the 7700. It is getting worse every day. I can’t even play for more than 30 minutes today without a crash/computer lock up. This game was more solid in BETA than it is now. I put in a ticket, posted to twitter, but nothing from GW2 team. I guess i wasted $60 on a game that will not play.

Kayne.1389

Kindly go to control panel -> Administrative tools -> Event viewer, then look for windows logs under it would have system logs filter the logs for any Errors or Warning and check the date , time and Event ID of the errors or warning due to crash.

I have found what you are talking about, and I see multiple errors here, but the only one that includes Guild Wars states that it simply stopped responding.

Posted by: Conwen.4798

Conwen.4798

Hi, i know the latest reply here is 4 months old, but this is apparently the same problem that i seem to have with radeon 7850 card. My screen simply turns black after about 20-30 minutes of gameplay, and stop responding to anything.