Game minimizes randomly while moving

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Deewayno.5712

Deewayno.5712

Hello,

Just to give you some back ground, I have a dual monitor set-up on this rig.

One for the game and one set-up vertically for reading.

Now, I use the mouse to move, left + right mouse button together. When I move fast or rapidly towards the right (where my second monitor is), sometimes the game will minimize itself. It is very frustrating.

I cannot replicate it properly or I don’t know how to, it always happens when I am moving fast, it is quite annoying.

Anyone know why this happens?

Is there an option to lock settings for full screen mode?

Thank you.

(edited by Deewayno.5712)

Posted by: CheckeredDemon.4962

CheckeredDemon.4962

I have this issue as well. I figured this should not happen as I also have it full screen mode.

Posted by: Puddin Cheeks.8539

Puddin Cheeks.8539

try not to use alt& tab at the same time. Just sayin’

this is why my target next button is set to C because i use alt to display names.

- Puddin Cheeks [W]
- [EA] Elephant Ambush
- DragonBrand since 8/25/12

Deewayno.5712

try not to use alt& tab at the same time. Just sayin’

this is why my target next button is set to C because i use alt to display names.

You just answered your own question. alt AND tab. My target button is middle mouse click.

This is not alt tabbing.

Think before you post.

Deewayno.5712

I have this issue as well. I figured this should not happen as I also have it full screen mode.

Do you also use dual screens?

I tried just using the one screen and the problem does not happen, it’s only with dual screens.

Posted by: Shaileya.7063

Shaileya.7063

Have you tried running with auto run to see if this is happening purely when your mouse hits the effective ‘edge’ of that screen? That might help them narrow down the cause if you do a little more testing of different controll combos.

Posted by: Crache.3269

Crache.3269

I’ve been having this problem and decided to see if I could find a way to reliably reproduce it. Managed to do it and looked to see if anyone else has reported it, then found this.

I’ll re-report the bug with this more specific information so that hopefully they’ll see it, but figured I’d respond here to let y’all know how it can be reproduced in case it helps you form habits to avoid it until it is fixed.

There seems to be some sort of short grace period after you release a mouse button (left or right, not middle click) where the cursor can leave the window. This does not occur on press, only on release.

To reproduce it, just move your cursor near the edge of the screen, hold down one of the buttons, then let go and throw the mouse as far right as you can as fast as possible. My mouse sensitivity is set very high so I can comfortably get the mouse anywhere on the screen rapidly with just small finger movements. I often don’t notice that the mouse has left the window and end up clicking again, causing Guild Wars 2 to lose focus, which then results in it minimizing.

Obviously the most common scenario where this occurs is when you’re holding right click to rotate the character then let go of the button before you have finished sliding the mouse in that direction.

It has almost killed me a few times. :P

Posted by: Eridian.3187

Eridian.3187

I just posted this in the other thread (exact same issue as this one) and how I got around this very annoying occurance (fullscreen mode) is Ultramon. It has the ability to set a hotkey toggle to only focus on one monitor. When I toggle this on, I no longer have the minimize issue.

Posted by: gnash.7584

gnash.7584

I came across with this problem during BWE and reported it in the beta forums.
Normally I play GW2 in full screen on the primary monitor. So the mouse pointer is captured on this screen. But during rapid mouse movment for camera adjust (use WASD for movement) in heavy action based moments the mouse pointer is able to leave his cage and appears on the second monitor. The next click, not recognizing the escape, will minimize the client – and you die in WvW.

[…] how I got around this very annoying occurance (fullscreen mode) is Ultramon.

To buy an extra tool is not an acceptable solution.
My workaround is just to disable the second monitor via display settings.

Deewayno.5712

Thanks for the reply guys. I hope ANet know about this issue, I knew I wasn’t the only one experiencing this.

@Eridian, could you please tell me the steps for Ultramon? I am also using this application.

Thank you.

Posted by: Alex.8103

Alex.8103

I just tried Ultramon trial version.
Technically it can prevent this issue from happening.
However it will cause a new problem.
When your right key is pressed, you drag it to your secondary monitor and release.
GW2 client considers it is not released.
So you enter first person shooter mode and your cursor won’t come back until you do it again.
At first I thought it’s quiet an amazing glitch’ed situation, I don’t have to keep pressing right key and it’s free to look. But it can happen unintentionally, and quiet often.

In the end, I choose not to activate it.
The most stable solution is, ironically, “DON’T USE MULTI MONITOR”.

(edited by Alex.8103)

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

I’m on dual screen and this happened to me but rarely.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Deewayno.5712

I would rather this problem be fixed than using a third party program to work around it.

Posted by: Kerigolas.8263

Kerigolas.8263

I’ve been having this problem and decided to see if I could find a way to reliably reproduce it. Managed to do it and looked to see if anyone else has reported it, then found this.

I’ll re-report the bug with this more specific information so that hopefully they’ll see it, but figured I’d respond here to let y’all know how it can be reproduced in case it helps you form habits to avoid it until it is fixed.

There seems to be some sort of short grace period after you release a mouse button (left or right, not middle click) where the cursor can leave the window. This does not occur on press, only on release.

To reproduce it, just move your cursor near the edge of the screen, hold down one of the buttons, then let go and throw the mouse as far right as you can as fast as possible. My mouse sensitivity is set very high so I can comfortably get the mouse anywhere on the screen rapidly with just small finger movements. I often don’t notice that the mouse has left the window and end up clicking again, causing Guild Wars 2 to lose focus, which then results in it minimizing.

Obviously the most common scenario where this occurs is when you’re holding right click to rotate the character then let go of the button before you have finished sliding the mouse in that direction.

It has almost killed me a few times. :P

I have exact the same issue and came to the same conclusion and i also nearly died a few time cause of this^^

Posted by: VictoriousMonk.7150

VictoriousMonk.7150

I’m having this problem right now as well (yes, 3 months after the initial post).

I also use dual monitors and full screen mode. The minimize only happens during battle and it has killed me a few times.

It is strange because it has only happened recently and I have not changed any hardware or software.

Can you please help out? I prefer not to fix it with a third party program.

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Same problem here

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Posted by: ICERadioUSA.2731

ICERadioUSA.2731

I am having the same issue with my game screen randomly minimizing. One big difference is I am on a laptop and do not have a second screen attached.
the Razor Naga Epic Mouse is the same I used since guild wars 2 came out except for not on this Laptop, so I doubt it is the mouse.

The laptop is brand new, with Windows 8 64 bit (which so is my desktop) .

The game is on an SSD drive. I have 12 Gigs of RAM, Using an ASUS G750JW laptop with the NVidia GeForce GTX 765M video card with the latest drivers.

My Desktop Resolution is set to 1920 × 1080 and Guild Wars Graphics is set at full screen 1920 × 1080. Refresh ate 60Hz.

I am confused why I am having this issue, especially with running just one monitor.

Posted by: Ariel Druss.4587

Ariel Druss.4587

I had this issue pop up today.
I thought about recent changes made and came up with the following solution.
Reinstall DirectX, restart PC.
Seems to have done the trick.

Posted by: Olin.2649

Olin.2649

My wife is having this same issue on her account… Seems to always happen in the midst of action. And she is running on just a laptop, no 2nd screen or anything.

- – - Number Two of Full Metal Pastry – - -
Enjoyer of all aspects of MMO’s
Find me on Deathraeyn

Posted by: Crupes.1952

Crupes.1952

Hey Olin,

I’ve been having the exact same problem as your wife. Wondering if you all found a solution to this yet. I’m also using a laptop, and noticed it tends to happen as I’m running into battle in WvW. Thank you in advance.