Game unable to start since 11/13 mini patch

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nanoko.1850

Nanoko.1850

I do not receive any errors, it simply freezes at the initial download screen without the name/password boxes showing up every time I attempt to bring up the game. The only way I can get out of the screen after it locks itself is by force closing it with ctrl/alt/del. I can not minimize it or close it by usual means. I have tried rolling back my computer, updating my drivers again, and have reinstalled the game client but still run in to this.

Posted by: LukeFiasco.9758

LukeFiasco.9758

I’m having the same issue. It was working fine last night, but today i have the same symptoms as you. Launcher comes up, doesn’t download or anything, and just freezes.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

See if this helps:

• Close your game completely (not running in Task Manager)
  • Ensure your game is set to ‘Run As Administrator’ in the shortcut’s Properties > Compatibility tab and try launching it again.
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

LukeFiasco.9758

I have tried running as admin, tried different compatibility modes, tried deleting/moving/renaming the local.dat file. Tried running with -repair, -verify, and other commandlines on startup, done virus search, double-checked firewall settings, checked for up to date GPU drivers, checked temps and status of my CPU & GPU but all to no avail. The client just hangs, and after a few moments i get the " Gw2 has stopped responding message"

I downloaded the game downloader from this site, and that patching client ran just fine.
But i don’t want to re-download the whole game on my slow wi-fi connection, just to get the same error :/

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi LukeFiasco – Do you happen to have any security software running that could be conflicting with the client? Sometimes security software can suddenly start interfering with the client after an update so I would disable any security software or firewalls that you may have enabled.

LukeFiasco.9758

Hello Ashley.
Thank you very much for answering so fast.
Yes, i also made sure that my antivirus and firewall software gave gw2 the permissions needed. It might be worth mentioning that i was able to play on patch day, and all of yesterday. But today i haven’t been able to get past the client freeze. I haven’t installed any software or hardware since, and i am able to play other games without any issues.

I uninstalled the game, and ran registry cleaning to make sure everything is back to scratch, and atm. I am re-downloading the game hoping to see some results.
As this takes ages, i won’t be able to follow up on the matter before tomorrow.

add: While downloading, and writing this, i remembered i should check the windows error logs. This is what i found
Gw2.exe
52741f18
d3d9.dll
4ee53333
c0000005
15c8
01cedb1ce38496c0
D :\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe
D :\Guild Wars 2\d3d9.dll
1a216f97-4717-11e3-8e6d-08606e7c322e

“d3d9.dll " Seems interesting – Any word on how i should tackle this?

And thank you for your time and work.

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Howdy,

“d3d9.dll " is likely driver related but the tricky part is narrowing down which one. I’d start with a clean installation of your video card drivers in addition to making sure that you have the latest DirectX installation packages installed.

The first link will provide you with the June 2010 redistributable which will force Windows to update Direct X. I provided this link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (download and run this first)

Once installed, please use the following link to install all material post June 2010 for Direct X. Again this link is provided below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 (download and run this 2nd)

Please be sure to save the file to your Windows desktop. Then create a new folder on the desktop and extract the DirectX files into it. Once they have been extracted open the new folder and use the DXsetup file to install DirectX.

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

I just want to add a “Hello!” to Nanoko as I misread which one of you guys was the OP (not at all that I don’t want to help you LukeFiasco I just want to make sure Nanoko gets a response for this post as well!).

As I asked before, do you have any security software installed? I might even consider creating a new Windows User Account because sometimes they can become corrupted which can sometimes cause issues such as these.

LukeFiasco.9758

Thanks! I will try doing that when the download is done. And post the results.

And btw. Sorry in advance to Nanoko if you feel that i highjacked your thread, but i hope that the conversation i’m having with Ashley might help out your situation aswell.

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Another option Luke is to use -repair when starting the client to check for corrupt files: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

Make sure you don’t have something with an overlay running like mumble, steam, msi afterburner, or riva tuner. Especially the last two.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

Posted by: Nanoko.1850

Nanoko.1850

I have tried running it as admin, I have turned off all my security, and use the links that have posted and nothing would work. It would still freeze at the login window without a error message and have to be forced closed. I decided to reinstall a 3rd time and still get the same issues, however now the log in window is frozen for about 2 min and then it starts working.