Game won't start? Try this!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Navigate to Finder (your desktop).
Click the ‘Go’ menu in the menubar.
Hold the Option key with the ‘Go’ menu open.
Click ‘Library’.
Go to the Application Support folder.
Go to the Guild Wars 2 folder.
Delete the Guild Wars 2 folder.

Please note that if you’ve installed the ‘beta client config tweaks’ from another thread in this forum you will have to do so again if you delete this folder (unless you save the config file).

I’d like to request that this thread be stickied since this seems to be such a common problem.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Aigisthos.3059

Aigisthos.3059

I agree that this should be a sticky. Now if only we could get a mod or dev to actually read these threads so they can actually set it up…..lol

Posted by: dTw.2506

dTw.2506

this actually worked for me! thanks

Posted by: Sukeile.4168

Sukeile.4168

Thank you so much!

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

I’m confused, delete the folder from the library?

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Yes, the game will create a new one when you launch it.

Hollow.9758

Yes, the game will create a new one when you launch it.

well, i knew that. But if those of us that did the config Vram tweak do that and redo it again. What difference does it make? kitten IT, i’ll try anything at this point.

Note: posted right after ‘3 dozen + crashes’ thread started.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Hollow.9758

wait, my game will start. it just is not playable for more than 15 minutes. no matter what i try. will this make a difference?

By Odins fine whiskers!

vince.5937

Hollow, have you tried making a new user account and running the client from it? Had to do this with the Cider port of City of Heroes; if the client runs great on a brand new Admin user account but not on your regular account, there’s an issue with your main account. If it doesn’t, it’s an issue with the client.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Naqaj.6219

Hollow, there are a few dozen problems with starting or running the game that are somehow related to some data in that folder, and deleting and rebuilding it tends to solve those problems. It’s a procedure with no side effects, so you should at least try it, the worst thing that could happen ist that it won’t solve your problem.

Also try what vince wrote above. On top of that some general maintenance for your system might be helpful too. Have Disk Utility check your file permissions and harddrive, and repair if neccessary.
If you have another volume or an external harddrive, try and install the game on that (fresh install, no copy) and see if it still crashes.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

Hollow.9758

Hollow, there are a few dozen problems with starting or running the game that are somehow related to some data in that folder, and deleting and rebuilding it tends to solve those problems. It’s a procedure with no side effects, so you should at least try it, the worst thing that could happen ist that it won’t solve your problem.

Also try what vince wrote above. On top of that some general maintenance for your system might be helpful too. Have Disk Utility check your file permissions and harddrive, and repair if neccessary.
If you have another volume or an external harddrive, try and install the game on that (fresh install, no copy) and see if it still crashes.

Thanks you guys again for all the help. This has been very frustrating, which because of how many kittens i’ve got is probably obvious by now. But how would i go about making a new Account for the game client? It’s to early, i need some coffee.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Hollow.9758

Alright I tossed that GW2 folder mug RIGHT into the trash. I’ll clean the trash out. Run a quick clean on the system, get ma coffee and see if it works. Step one down. Thanks again guys.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Naqaj.6219

Thanks you guys again for all the help. This has been very frustrating, which because of how many kittens i’ve got is probably obvious by now. But how would i go about making a new Account for the game client? It’s to early, i need some coffee.

He means a User account in OSX. Should be in System settings.

Hollow.9758

why would that make a difference?

By Odins fine whiskers!

vince.5937

Because sometimes installed programs or certain system preferences can interfere with applications. It happened a lot in the City of Heroes port, which used the same wrapper as what we use now. Give it a try and see if it the client runs any differently.

Basically, this helps us determine if it’s a machine issue or a client issue. The new user account will be a clean slate.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Blunt.9507

Blunt.9507

Been having this problem for over a month so I haven’t been playing.

Tried to delete the folder and as soon as i started gw2 the folder was patched, tried to delete it then but couldn’t as it ‘Was being used by an application’

Im verifying disk permissions right now but it says it will take 40 minutes.
I dont see why my account wouldnt have all permissions since its the only one?

Blunt.9507

:::::UPDATE:::::

surpriseingly allot of permissions needed
Fixing permissions now.

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UIAgent.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreenLeopard386.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/UIAgent.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreenLeopard386.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/UIAgent.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/UIAgent.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreenLeopard386.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/UIAgent.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreenLeopard386.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/MainMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/UIAgent.nib”, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

List goes on but post count is too high

Blunt.9507

Repaired permissions:: error still occurring.

Created new account under ‘admin’:: error still occurring

Stumped!

edit: done some more digging and have found

this faq: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FAQ-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Compilation/first#post1095415

Scroll down to 5.5 which is the problem, it has a bunch of possible solutions. Not sure what most of them mean but I am trying to update my driver (ati HD 4580) and am having lots of trouble with the amd website

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Am using this website to try and download the driver,
1st step, first tried to select mac graphics but then option of radeon 4850 HD is not in the list of the second step

So i go back to the first step and choose desktop graphic and than I am able to choose radeon HD series which takes me to the 4xxx model and than im stumped when I cant choose my OS , the only one available are Windows and linux.

(edited by Blunt.9507)

Hollow.9758

did you have to copy and paste all of that? I threw my folder in the trash and used magician to do a quick clean on my comp. started the game up and started tweaking graphics settings to make sure i’m getting 30+ fps at least. Seem to be working so far now. If i get more problem i’ll have to end up tried to make the new user profile on my comp to see if that makes a difference. But so far so good after deleting the file folder from app support, I also redid the VRam config tweak as well. Didn’t see a reason not too so.

By Odins fine whiskers!

vince.5937

Blunt, do not use the AMD website drivers. Macs have their own custom-built drivers that come via software updates and the original system install. Putting the downloaded drivers onto your machine might cause a severe drop in performance.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Blunt.9507

Alright so for everyone that this fix isnt working for, where do we go from here?

Hollow.9758

not to argue. but sense doing this, deleting the guild wars 2 folder from the application support folder in the library, I have not had any game crashes… at all. I’m honestly a weh bit surprised because of how many i was getting before. But yeah, I did this, then immediately did the Vram tweak from the game config tweaks. and so far having so problems. Thanks for the tip Vince, its worked amazingly for me!

By Odins fine whiskers!

Posted by: To Die For.1895

To Die For.1895

Click ‘Library’.

Please note that if you’ve installed the ‘beta client config tweaks’ from another thread in this forum you will have to do so again if you delete this folder (unless you save the config file).

I’d like to request that this thread be stickied since this seems to be such a common problem.

aaaaah !
THANK YOU!!

Hollow.9758

yes, sense doing this. Save for a bit of lag in some areas. I’ve even turned all of the graphics settings up, except the screen sampling for resolution. Two days of gaming for about 2 1/2 too 3 hours ish, with breaks. NO CRASHES, not one. Thanks again Vince i love you… no kitten

By Odins fine whiskers!

Posted by: DMEY.4185

DMEY.4185

I have done the config file tweak and i re-copied it like you said, but when I try to open GW2 now i just get a message that says something like “Application unable to open, blah blah blah” its referring to the config file saying it can’t copy it from the application to my computer or something like that. What did I do wrong?

vince.5937

Delete the folder again, but this time don’t copy the config file. Run the app and let it recreate the config. If the game runs, close it down and re-edit your config file.

Let us know what happens.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Hollow.9758

Delete the folder again, but this time don’t copy the config file. Run the app and let it recreate the config. If the game runs, close it down and re-edit your config file.

this is… EXACTLY, what i did. You cannot change the game config file until after you’ve tried to relaunch the game, AFTER deleting the file folder.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Hollow.9758

I should shut up so i don’t confused people more.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Posted by: Barsmid.4167

Barsmid.4167

PLEASE sticky this. This fixed all of my problems.

Posted by: fallensxxx.1308

fallensxxx.1308

THANKYOU, I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM AND THIS TOTALLY WORKED!! WHOO!

Hollow.9758

BUMP, cause this made the game playable for me again. After The Gathering Storm update i was crashing every 10 minutes.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Many people are finding this solution solves problems with Guild Wars 2, which is good.

There still appears to be some confusion, however.

The instructions from Vince at the top of this thread are correct. Add to them the following:

You must QUIT the Guild Wars 2 game application before attempting to delete the folder within Application Support. The Mac OS will correctly refuse to delete the folder when it knows that an application is using it.

The folder will be re-created with fresh data when you next start Guild Wars 2.

DO NOT attempt to make “tweaks” to the files. There are no user-adjustable settings and no benefits to be had. Fracking with the files will likely only lead to future problems.

For people having trouble locating the Library folder (it was changed to a hidden folder as of OS X 10.8), you can delete the folder using the following command line. Start a Terminal session (found inside the Utilities folder on your Mac) and copy & paste the line, below. Press Enter to execute the command. You won’t see any output; the command will execute instantly and give you a new command prompt line.

rm -R ~/“Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2”

Translated: rm is the Unix remove command. The -R indicates “recursive” because you are instructing the computer to delete all the contents of a directory (folder). The ~ is short-hand for the current user’s home folder.

Quit the Terminal session when you’re done.

vince.5937

DO NOT attempt to make “tweaks” to the files. There are no user-adjustable settings and no benefits to be had. Fracking with the files will likely only lead to future problems.

Look, I understand what you’re trying to get across here, but if people really are seeing FPS increases from adjusting the default VRAM usage in the config file, why not just let them do it? If it works for them, it works. There’s no reason to keep saying it doesn’t work, especially when others have posted that their FPS shot up by 15-20 frames. And even if things do somehow get worse down the line due to this, all you need to do is blast the Application Support folder and let the game recreate the default config file.

Please keep your ideas about what VRAM allocation might do in the threads about tweaking VRAM allocation, not in a thread about how to fix client problems.

Thanks.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Look, I understand what you’re trying to get across here, but if people really are seeing FPS increases from adjusting the default VRAM usage in the config file, why not just let them do it? If it works for them, it works. There’s no reason to keep saying it doesn’t work, especially when others have posted that their FPS shot up by 15-20 frames. And even if things do somehow get worse down the line due to this, all you need to do is blast the Application Support folder and let the game recreate the default config file.

Please keep your ideas about what VRAM allocation might do in the threads about tweaking VRAM allocation, not in a thread about how to fix client problems.

Thanks.

It’s my opinion that this is a part of the client-fix discussion because people are poking into files they don’t understand, attempting voodoo and possibly causing the very problems that cause their client to crash.

It is absolutely not necessary for people to do anything with the files within the Application Support folder. People are putting far, far too much importance into a single, dumb “FPS” number without understanding what it means and attributing voodoo to why the number goes up or down. It’s like the Tiger protection amulet that reputedly keeps you from being eaten by Tigers; if you’re wearing it and haven’t yet been eaten, then it must be working …

Sticking your fingers into these files creates a risk that you’ll screw them up. There is no benefit to trying to “tweak” them but doing so could result in crashing the client. This is why advice on not touching the files is an important part of the client fix discussion.

I see that you have already read the relevant posts on this subject. Here they are for others to read.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Mac-Beta-Client-Config-Tweaks-Files/1259814

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Mac-Beta-Client-Config-Tweaks-Files/1276001

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Many people are finding this solution solves problems with Guild Wars 2, which is good.

There still appears to be some confusion, however.

The instructions from Vince at the top of this thread are correct. Add to them the following:

You must QUIT the Guild Wars 2 game application before attempting to delete the folder within Application Support. The Mac OS will correctly refuse to delete the folder when it knows that an application is using it.

The folder will be re-created with fresh data when you next start Guild Wars 2.

For people having trouble locating the Library folder (it was changed to a hidden folder as of OS X 10.8), you can delete the folder using the following command line. Start a Terminal session (found inside the Utilities folder on your Mac) and copy & paste the line, below. Press Enter to execute the command. You won’t see any output; the command will execute instantly and give you a new command prompt line.

rm -R ~/“Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2”

Translated: rm is the Unix remove command. The -R indicates “recursive” because you are instructing the computer to delete all the contents of a directory (folder). The ~ is short-hand for the current user’s home folder.

Quit the Terminal session when you’re done.

I would really advise against using the Terminal if you have no idea what you are doing. Using that command can wipe your entire hard drive if you type the command in wrong. It is much much safer to go into the Library and remove the folder using the Finder.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Using that command can wipe your entire hard drive if you type the command in wrong.

Impossible unless Apple really messed permissions. The rm command should only be able to delete user files only unless sudo was used. Of course, deleting user files is not good either

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Yes yes, you need to use sudo but I actively discourage people who don’t want to learn the Terminal from using the command line (because they don’t know what sudo does so they may one day decide to use it and type it in a command wrong). Telling them to delete a file in a folder using the Finder is something they do every day and they’re much less likely to delete something accidentally (not to mention the Finder won’t let you delete something that is being used).

vince.5937

It’s my opinion that this is a part of the client-fix discussion because people are poking into files they don’t understand, attempting voodoo and possibly causing the very problems that cause their client to crash.

So you’re insistent that people seeing marked performance increases and fewer crashes after deleting the App Support and changing the VRAM allocation are… what, hallucinating?

It is absolutely not necessary for people to do anything with the files within the Application Support folder. People are putting far, far too much importance into a single, dumb “FPS” number without understanding what it means and attributing voodoo to why the number goes up or down. It’s like the Tiger protection amulet that reputedly keeps you from being eaten by Tigers; if you’re wearing it and haven’t yet been eaten, then it must be working …

You may not take any stock in what I say, but I’ve been fighting this fight since 2008 when Paragon Studios commissioned Transgaming to make a Cider port of City of Heroes. All of the problems we’re seeing right now? Yep! Been seeing them since Transgaming released a third build in 2009 and went absolutely dark, leaving the mac users of the game to figure out how to make this piece-of-crap excuse for a port work better. We actually got significant performance boosts out of the thing by screwing with it and submitted them to Paragon Studios to submit to Transgaming for changes. Surprisingly, Transgaming said nothing and we went about our business editing their shoddy emulation layer.

Furthermore, can you explain to me exactly what you expect to happen when you tell a program to use more VRAM? How on earth is an FPS increase not suitable criteria for performance checks? If you get more frames per second with the same graphical settings after making a change, and less if you undo the change, isn’t that a pretty fair indicator? What other way would you test this, Todd? What other performance would you look for when trying to improve your graphical performace?

Sticking your fingers into these files creates a risk that you’ll screw them up. There is no benefit to trying to “tweak” them but doing so could result in crashing the client. This is why advice on not touching the files is an important part of the client fix discussion.

This may ring true in the case of most other parameters in the config file, but even if this is causing a problem with the client, all you have to do is delete the config file itself and let the app rebuild the default.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Omnivious.6321

Omnivious.6321

Hey I need help doing this..I need this explained to me in very easy steps. Or someone taking over my mac. I just want to play the game. I’ve had this issue before. but after 5-10 tries it usually opened.

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated! i’ll give you in game gold when I can lol..

Posted by: Chinook.4123

Chinook.4123

Excellent. Thanks a bunch. Your fix worked like a charm. I am writing it down so I can find it next time (if it happens again that is.)

Posted by: David.2019

David.2019

Click ‘Library’.

Perfectly worked for me! Macbook Pro 15’’ Retina, mid 2012.

Posted by: Jaube Chie.2184

Jaube Chie.2184

it’s work! Merci!!!

Posted by: furrygiblets.9510

furrygiblets.9510

Vince, thank you SO MUCH! I was just about to throw my laptop down the stairs…. Deleting that folder worked perfectly, I will know what to do now if it ever happens again!

Posted by: Catterpillerman.1052

Catterpillerman.1052

Thank you so much! I am so happy now I could explode!

Posted by: ailsa.8132

ailsa.8132

YOU ARE MY FAVOURITE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD RIGHT NOW. I COULD KISS YOUR PERFECT FACE!!!

Posted by: Affinniti.3541

Affinniti.3541

So I’ve read everything you’ve said but there is no application support folder for me on my mac for GW2?

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

Your folder is probably hidden (as is the default). I found this after googling:

http://m.wikihow.com/See-Hidden-Folders-on-Mac-OS-X-and-Other-Recent-Models

I do remember doing something similar to this on mine, but it was over a year ago when I needed it for something else. Feel free to try it, or wait for someone else to post something. Others claim alt+clicking a file/folder unhides the contents, but that was never successful for me. At least the link has visuals for you. Good luck.

Posted by: Aghast.6470

Aghast.6470

Oh god I can finally play again!
Thanks bro!

Posted by: Agathorn.3582

Agathorn.3582

Thanks for this. It worked for me. Odd things is though, its not like I should have any bad settings or anything. I just got this mac, installed GW2, spent a few hours downloading, then clicked play and it errored out. I deleted the application settings as specified above and it worked perfectly.

Not sure how I had bad settings ON A BRAND NEW INSTALL lol

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

Yeah, that doesn’t seem to matter sometimes… As long as it’s able to be fixed when broken.