Gamma bug after text language change

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

As a fix for an unresponsive trading post, total gems not loading, no mouse over descriptions, greyed out buy/sell buttons, non-loading/gold spinny issues, you can follow these steps:

1. Open your trading post (leave this open until finished)
2. Open your options panel
3. Change the language to French
4. Wait for the trading post to reload in French
5. Change the language back to English (anglais)
6. Test trading post

However, on the Mac client exclusively, this introduces a gamma bug. Upon changing the language the first time, the screen will go really dark. But once the tp is fixed, now you have to fix this.

The fix is easy, just go to the graphics panel and move the gamma slider, the screen will instantly go back to normal allowing you to just put the slider back on your default/desired setting.

My concern is, why is this happening? And more importantly, why is it happening to me now without switching languages? On random occassion over the last week, I have had this gamma bug occur by simply pressing O to open the tp… It actually loaded fine with the exception of my gamma going haywire.

As additional info for this, my hubs also plays on a Mac and experiences this same type of gamma bug, but only after he changes resolution (he’s never once needed this text language fix, so it’s sort of irrelevant to the initial statements here). He plays on a large, external monitor in his office, but if he logs off while using that screen, then later opens the game on his default laptop screen, the resolution is off, but the colours look fine. After he changes the screen resolution to slightly less than the default retina display resolution, he has the gamma bug.

Since we have a new Mac guy who seems to be reading this forum, I’d like to put this out there to see if we can get a solution to this some day. Or at least an acknowledgement that, yes, this is a bug and yes, Anet now knows about it and is on their “we’ll get to that someday” list.

Thanks Luis!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

This happened to me the other day but didn’t have anything to do with the TP. It just happened randomly as I was running to a waypoint and I was confused. I asked in /map if there was a key I might have pressed to change the gamma and was told to go read. Go figure LOL. Anyway I found the fix the same way by moving the slider a bit. Hasn’t happened since.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

Weird! I mean, my hubs has been experiencing this for months due to monitor swapping, we tried the usual fixes, but nothing worked. Then I found it a few weeks ago associated with the “fix” listed above for the tp. But only in the last week has it happened on its own without provocation. Hopefully yours doesn’t become too bothersome.

Definitely looking forward to some Anet feedback on this.

Posted by: Luis Machado.4256

Luis Machado.4256

Technical Support

Next

Hey Kyllaa,

I’ve setup a ticket for this issue with our hardware lab to see if we can reproduce it, which is always the first step in trying to figure out any bugs. I’ll update this thread as soon as I hear back. I’d like to try to get a feeling for how widespread this is, if anyone else is having this issue can you please post here on this thread? Including your specs and the circumstances surrounding the issue would be helpful as well, more info is always helpful.

Kyllaa.1385

Thanks for that! I really appreciate having you here to help us

I also realised how silly I am for not posting system specs… Whoops!

My system is:
MBP 15" late 2011
2.2ghz intel core I7
8gb 1333 MHz ddr3 ram
Amd radeon hd 6750m 512mb

My hubs system is:
MBPr 15" mid 2012
2.7ghz intel core I7
16gb 1600 MHz ddr3 ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 650m 1024mb
I don’t know his external display specs or resolution.

Hopefully this helps figure out what’s up. However, I don’t think many Mac users have tried this out to “intentionally” cause this issue, but maybe we can still find out what is causing my hubs to get it on after starting the game without the external display connected and why Trog and I are getting it randomly.

Also, I think one other user tried the language change above and had the gamma bug, if I find the post again, I’ll link it.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i noticed my gamma go dark whenever i interact with a trading post npc, no matter where i do this.
if i load it by pressing O, this won’t happen although sometimes in LA the TP won’t ever open, but i have no issues in other areas

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Kyllaa.1385

Luis, any word on this? It’s getting worse!

Do I need to post anything or should I start a ticket for this?

The instructions listed in my opening post allow me to create this bug every time, but I’m even getting it when I use O. It’s been horrible in the Labrynthine Cliffs when talking to the trading post npc.

Thanks!

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It happens to me all the time!

Previous

Luis Machado.4256

Technical Support

Next

Hey Kyllaa,

So far we haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on our end, I’ve sent your specific specs to our devs and the OS you’re using, so we can recreate the issue. I’ll let you know as soon as they get back to me on the issue.

Posted by: yakslap.2051

yakslap.2051

This has been happening to me too recently! Nothing seems to be a specific cause.. the gamma just goes SUPER dark for no reason, or with the TP. Never used to happen, but now it happens several times per play period.

Kyllaa.1385

Thanks for the update!

Have you given them this to try out:

6. Test trading post

I can reproduce the gamma bug consistently with that.

Previous

Luis Machado.4256

Technical Support

Next

Thanks for the update!

Have you given them this to try out:

6. Test trading post

I can reproduce the gamma bug consistently with that.

Hey Kyllaa,

Yes I have forwarded that info to reproduce the issue, I’ve also tried it on my machine here but wasn’t able to reproduce it, though I’m using an iMac and don’t have access to a Macbook Pro, so I’m suspicious if it’s specifically related to the MBP in some way. I’ll update this post as soon as I hear anything else, thanks for hanging in there.

Kyllaa.1385

Great, thanks for keeping me updated!

Anyone else experiencing this, please post what system you are on and your specs to help.

Posted by: Goody.9035

Goody.9035

Same issue:

MBP 15" mid 2012
2.6 ghz intel core I7
8 gb 1600 MHz ddr3 ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 650m 1024mb

Game Language German.

Apparently this happens not all the time but quite often opening the trading post.

Seems like the game is loosing “focus”:
if your playing in window mode and click outside the game window, the gamma goes dark the same way as opening tp in game.

That’s at least what i experienced…

Kyllaa.1385

I also found it occurs when changing resolution.

An interesting thing about the gamma bug, if you zone into a new map, it usually fixes itself.

(Dumb typo lol)

(edited by Kyllaa.1385)

Kyllaa.1385

I want to guess that there has been no progress made on this issue either?

It’s as bad as ever and occurs roughly every other trading post opening (sometimes I can get away with 3 trading post opens lol). But honestly, I’d take this gamma bug over constant crashes any day! Keeping fingers crossed for a resolution to both!!!

Posted by: Nema.2146

Nema.2146

Im also experiencing this problem for quite a while now. Thought I could handle it, but it’s getting increasingly annoying

My specs:
iMac 21.5", Mid 2010
Processor 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 512mb
Software OS X 10.8.4

Really really really hope this issue will get fixed soon!

Posted by: Trevayne.9215

Trevayne.9215

I am also experiencing this issue but I have found that it happens while I am standing in Lion’s Arch bank hub. To fix the problem when it occurs I command-tab to desktop and then command-tab back to gw2. Gamma goes back to normal.

I have also deleted the cache files under Finder/Go/Library/caches/com.transgaming.guildwars2, which has stopped the problem for longer periods of time as the “command-tab” solution only seems to work for shorter periods.

Specs
MBP 15" mid 2012
2.6 Ghz intel Core i7
8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GT 650m 1024MB
OS X 10.8.4

Previous

Luis Machado.4256

Technical Support

Hey Everyone, just a quick update.

Our QA has been able to repro this issue and a bug report has gone in for it. Hopefully we’ll see a resolution implemented soon but I have no ETA at this time. Thanks to everyone who submitted your information/reported the issue. I’ll update the thread again if there is any change in the progress.

Kyllaa.1385

Thanks again for the update

Posted by: J Night.3468

J Night.3468

old thread but i’m also experiencing this. any fix anytime soon?

Embrace the darkness..

Posted by: royalblue.5130

royalblue.5130

Bump. I’ve started running in windowed mode so when I dismiss the trading post dialog and the screen dims, I can set focus outside GW2 then set focus back to GW2 to get things working. I’m running a 2011 Macbook Pro 13".

Posted by: Trevayne.9215

Trevayne.9215

I’m assuming there is no update for this issue based on the lack of communication from Anet employees?

Appears the problem has now progressed to a cancerous stage with not being able to buy gems off your store in addition to most days of not enjoying the luxury of access to the TP. Don’t forget your gamma problem is still occurring if and when I feel the fancy to try my luck accessing said TP.

Support tickets have been made but the replies have been obtuse at best.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I don’t know about the gamma problem but there is a fix for the gem store if the patch from 10 Dec has caused your issue. You can find it in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/TgUpdate-1-11-everytime-i-open-the-launcher/first – look for a post by Felicja.

Posted by: Orinku.9210

Orinku.9210

Bump – I have the gamma change issue too, it seems to be connected with displaying a new window, either when the TP window is opened, or if I Cmd+Tab to swap to a different program – I’m playing GW full screen.

Not got my Mac details to hand but its a late 2012 iMac.

Posted by: Jacob.7930

Jacob.7930

Been having this issue for as long as I have used the game (about 2 months)

Have a Macbook pro 2.8gz Intel Core i7
4gb 1333 MHz DDR3

Running OS 10.9.1

I can get it back by messing with the gamma slider but still its quite a bother.