Good Laptop for Guild Wars 2 between $700 to $800

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Moses.5369

Moses.5369

I want to buy a new laptop to play this game. I don’t want to go over $800 but i want a laptop that would allow me to play with graphic options maxed out. Any comment are appreciated. Thanks

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

To max out the game, not possible. Even my $2000 desktop max out at only 40-50FPS in WvW….

You said laptop.. they are x2 slower than desktop performances… so $800 won’t even get you near max. You will be stuck at low, a decent $2000-$3000 laptop will gets you to 40 FPS WvW on Medium-High settings depends on your screen resolution below 1080p.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Moses.5369

So with $800 I wouldn’t be able to get a laptop that could give at least decent graphics on this game?

Posted by: Slark.1263

Slark.1263

DJRiful is correct. I think you would need over $3000 into a laptop to even consider running things at MAX if you want to maintain good FPS.

For $800 you could probably get a Very nice desktop system that you could run PVE at Max minus the Shadows, but in WvW you would still take a little bit of a FPS hit.

Slark.1263

So with $800 I wouldn’t be able to get a laptop that could give at least decent graphics on this game?

For $800 you might be able to get a laptop that would run minimum settings at about 40-50 FPS.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Depends what you define as “decent”, but $800 for a gaming laptop is on the low end of the spectrum and GW2 is rather demanding game.

However for $800 u can build a solid desktop for GW2.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Moses.5369

I have a good desktop, well is not the best thing ever but the game looks pretty nice there. It’s dou core with 4 gb of ram and a gtx 550 ti graphic card. If I can find a laptop that can play it the way my desktop does I would be happy.

kirito.4138

If you are happy with a 550 ti on your desktop and want something similar for a laptop. Find one with GTX 560M/6750M or better. Those mobile GPU are comparable to your 550 ti.

However, those laptop tend to be about $1000 or higher.

Moses.5369

So would think that for a 1000$ I should find a laptop that plays the game similar to my desktop. I know is a lot to ask but could you give me a link or laptop model?

kirito.4138

There are too many models out.
Try newegg, you can search/filter for specs you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Laptops-Notebooks/SubCategory/ID-32

Just for an example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141
(im not recommending or endorsing this model, just an example laptop that could run simliarly to you desktop)

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

@OP

The main issue wiht laptops is the hardware is a step or 2 down form a desktop. So a desktop 560ti is alot betetr than a 560m laptop gpu.

Also, laptop CPU’s are alot weaker than desktop one., and even current desktop CPU’s max out their per thread performance with GW2.

Bassicaly what im saying is, you could get a laptop to play PVE with ok fps so long as you get a good GPU in the laptop.. so a GTX 570m or above would probably do it. However you wont do very well in WvWvW or in large scale PvE events (like the halloween one) becouse the laptops CPU will be to slow to handle it.

£800 for a gaming laptop ..specialy one that could play a cpu bound game like GW2 in al laspects is just not possible. You need need a good couple grand to get somthign even remotly suitable.

£800 on a desktop however ..thats another story ..you could potentialy get (if you build it urself) a i5 2550k cpu OC’d, a 500 series gaming GPU, and all other components for that price. And play GW2 pritty much as good as it can be played atm.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Moses.5369

Thanks for all the answers. I am very technical when it comes to computer but I am not very updated it about gaming stuff. Thank you for opening my eyes about this topic.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

buy a desktop. your laptop will fry running gw2.

Posted by: Aeri.1452

Aeri.1452

Unless you absolutely need a laptop for other things besides games, your money will almost always be more well-spent getting a desktop for gaming. A laptop will cost a lot more for the same performance, and from the sound of it, you already have a laptop that you could use for non-gaming purposes.

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

Um if you just go out to best buy and buy a laptop for 800 dollars it probably won’t be all that good. But I can play GW2 on my 3 year old 1000 dollar gaming laptop. The thing is you have to look for good deals.

THE BEST deals you will find are around black friday, be sure to sleuth newegg.com at this time.

EDIT: Just read you want to MAX your settings hmm, as ppl have said here, the game scales pretty far so completely maxing it is hard even on a DESKTOP, but you can play it on high with playable fps if you get a good deal. Though that’s stretching it, the best I think you’ll find during a big sale is a laptop that can play the game on medium on 45+ fps. If you just went out and bought a laptop today for 800 dollars, you probably could only play the game on low settings.

Remember, this game is very processor hungry, you’ll need to have a laptop with fast processor speeds. Pay attention to that than even how many cores it has. The gfx card is also important, as the better card you have, the higher you’ll be able to push your settings, but the processor is the bottle neck. If you have a weak processor and a strong video card like me, you’ll get 30 fps at the lowest settings, AND 30 fps at the highest settings.

(edited by the uprising.6317)

Posted by: zgd.7930

zgd.7930

I’d agree with the uprising that if you keep an eye out (especially on newegg) you can find a laptop in your budget. I snagged an openbox Acer v3-571g 9435 off of newegg this summer for $575 and it runs gw2 on high settings at about 50 fps (though frame rate will drop a little in certain sections of wvw). Last time I checked I saw machines with similar specs (i7/640 GT) running about $750, so definitely keep looking.

Posted by: Brent.1764

Brent.1764

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Guild-Wars-2-Benchmarked.81604.0.html

Go read this as a starting point on what to expect from mobile graphics in GW2.

Posted by: ZyloWolfBane.2370

ZyloWolfBane.2370

Gaming
$700
Laptop

Pick two.

Sleep is for the weak, gaming is a lifestyle not a hobby!

Posted by: Catuk.4329

Catuk.4329

Ok hope this helps
I have a brand new laptop Aser Aspire v3-571g
i7 2.3-3.3 turbo
gt640m 2 gig
8gb ram ddr3
1tb hdd
7 64bit
15.6 led hd lcd
£690 was 1000 but price drop due to new gen being released, you can still buy this laptop just from amazon etc
Have been playing Gw2 maxed out apart from shadows which i have set to low.
Everything else is maxed and the game looks beautiful, i also play on wifi which amazes me, feels like a wired conection, but i do have 60 meg.
Fps 70-100’ though i have recently gone for vsync which brings them down to 60hz etc with no screen tear.
Now here is the thing my laptop gets stela reviews all over, apart from the fact its only 1366 dispay which is the trade off. But trust me the display is stunning and the game looks perfect to me.
Point is low price meets very high laptop spec combine with lower rez=ultra settings plus very high fps and im so happy. feels like top end dektop performance on a laptop for under £700.
If you read the reviews everyone comes to this conclusion, its a great laptop for gaming.
I woul not pay silly money for Alienware when spec is hardly any better than mine, plus you will up the rez and only get 25 fps because of rez shift.

Catuk.4329

Just noticed zgd two posts above has the same laptop as me, and he says the same.
So maybe this would be good for you too

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

A gaming laptop makes almost no sense. No upgrade options, so in a couple years when its time to upgrade you will need to start from scratch. Plus to get the same performance you’ll pay about 50-100% more to play on a smaller screen. Huge money sink for a less enjoyable experience. The list goes on…

Catuk.4329

Nope its all relative I live in a very small house, been there T shirt etc with huge noisy gaming rig. So for some folk who maybe have a very good reason for wanting to game on
a laptop it makes perfect sence.
My laptop is for all the family but lets me play mmos i couldn’t otherwise play.
We all know you can only upgrade so far anyway before a new scratch build is needed, so get a good spec and you can play for a good couple of years.
Point is laptops are slowly but surely becoming a more viable option for pc gaming

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

buy this laptop with window 7 version

con 1366×768 resolution and low battery life

windows 8 have some input bugs

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/y480/

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Slark.1263

Point is laptops are slowly but surely becoming a more viable option for pc gaming

It is not completely true that Laptops are becoming a more viable option. Laptops are not very viable option to new software and they never will be. Laptops are however becoming a more viable option for older software.

Laptops have always been, and will always be a couple steps behind a home PC. All electronics are developed large in size, then miniaturized as time goes on. Miniaturization is how you get from Room Size PC, to Home PC, to Laptop, to Calculator. Due to this process a Laptop will never equal a Home PC unless they just completely stop trying to make better computers.

Computer programs are always becoming bigger and more advanced. As computer programs are developed they are designed to work on Home PC or Better systems. With each game taking 4-5 years to develop companies actually have to start with there idea when it would not even be possible on a current system, hoping to align its release with a PC that can handle it .

Laptops are however becoming cheaper to buy. People are becoming more technologically dependent. People want things that are easy to use and portable, like laptops. The majority of people however do not understand how technology advances and do not have any interest in understanding this. This is why more and more people are buying laptops just to be disappointed they can not do what a home PC does.

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

Nope its all relative I live in a very small house, been there T shirt etc with huge noisy gaming rig. So for some folk who maybe have a very good reason for wanting to game on a laptop it makes perfect sence.
My laptop is for all the family but lets me play mmos i couldn’t otherwise play.
We all know you can only upgrade so far anyway before a new scratch build is needed, so get a good spec and you can play for a good couple of years.

That’s why I said “almost makes no sense.” But still in your situation I’d recommend buying a $3-400 laptop for the family (non-gaming). And save a little bit more for a $7-800 desktop. In a couple years just upgrade the GPU or CPU or add RAM or whatever to keep it rockin. Unless you absolutely need to be very mobile it’ll save ya.