Goodbye and ty to the the 1 who stole my name

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Tap Skis.8240

Tap Skis.8240

Q:

Rly sorry to bother again, but i would just like to know if my characters name will change back to its original state, since i’ve had to rename it cuz that ’’violation’’

original: Gender Bender
current state: Golden Kyo

ty for the feedback on my first question, and i guess i understand the account name issue aswell, which is no big deal.

Posted by: Breeze.1273

Breeze.1273

From Wiki

Gender bender is an informal term used to refer to a person who actively transgresses, or “bends,” expected gender roles.

it looks fine and no offence for me

Posted by: Drachdhar.7016

Drachdhar.7016

Heh, i’d be more worried about some strange copyright infringement for your names… Gender Bender – Futurama classic
As is Bender the Offender no? But personally I dont find em the slightest offensive, but it takes alot to offend me…

Posted by: Breeze.1273

Breeze.1273

well..I’m not native english speaker, so I dont actually fully catch how offensive it is XD.

Posted by: Ashlar.2519

Ashlar.2519

I would assume that if they required you to change the name of a character due to a violation, then you will not be able to change it back to that name later on.

Tap Skis.8240

they alrdy told me that they will uncensor my name but i wonder if my characters name will change back since i had to change it in order to play this character today (which i did cuz its my main)

+ bender the offender is in my posession aswell

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I will see if one of the team members can help with this. Please allow a bit of time; we’re all working on several projects right now. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Tap Skis.8240

ok now i really dont understand this anymore…

first all of that with my name, account name etc… and now ny account gets blocked for 3 days? what did i do? who did i insult? in really really confused right now…

Attachments:

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

No worries! We have to ban and unban and try to sneak that in without you seeing, but you ARE ok and can rename the flagged character with the original chosen name.

Sorry for the confusion.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Tap Skis.8240

Now the game says that the character name i had before is alrdy in use + if i pm gender bender from my other characters the message simply returns to me so i guess ill have to wait for that to be fixed, since it looks like the name is still bound to me.

Ty for all the feedback and the support.

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: black scholes.3795

black scholes.3795

Both “Gender Bender” and “Bender the Offender” are stage names used by Bender in the episode “Ranging Bender” on Futurama. They might be considered copyright.

Tap Skis.8240

could you please just change my name to its original form since i cant do that for some reason… and i had to use a diffrent name again to play my guardian..

Tap Skis.8240

oh well, my account is on waiting and i hope u’ll be able to fix my problem anytime soon cuz i rly dont want to play a character w/o the name i’ve used untill all of this happend.

ty for the understanding.

Posted by: LastDarkness.7390

LastDarkness.7390

A friend of mine who is a Minister of his own Church got many people banned in WoW by claiming their names were offensive to his religeon.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

A friend of mine who is a Minister of his own Church got many people banned in WoW by claiming their names were offensive to his religeon.

By that reasoning, I could say that cats are offensive, so therefore I report yoo for using cat in your name. You see how unreasonable that would be? Where is the line drawn for offensive names? And along with these names, there should be a way for the person accused to contest the action against the account, and if successful, be able to keep the name.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet doesn’t suspend accounts just because someone reported the name as offensive. They have a group that reviews names and applies (or attempts to apply) a consistent policy about what is allowed and what is not.

Anyone who is suspended can ask ANet to re-evaluate the decision. As one would expect, most of the decisions are upheld on appeal (mostly because the name was “obviously” unsuitable), but some are overturned — perhaps the original team misunderstood the context or was too strict in enforcement.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

ANet doesn’t suspend accounts just because someone reported the name as offensive. They have a group that reviews names and applies (or attempts to apply) a consistent policy about what is allowed and what is not.

Anyone who is suspended can ask ANet to re-evaluate the decision. As one would expect, most of the decisions are upheld on appeal (mostly because the name was “obviously” unsuitable), but some are overturned — perhaps the original team misunderstood the context or was too strict in enforcement.

Uh i doubt it is reviewed that much. I was forced to change my name twice, once literally just now.

It was “Unsanitary Napkin”. Tell me how that is offensive please?

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

So you named yourself after a play on words about a feminine hygiene product? Perhaps a used one? And you can’t figure this out for yourself?

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Loli Ruri.8307

Did the OP get his character name back?

Posted by: LastDarkness.7390

LastDarkness.7390

So you named yourself after a play on words about a feminine hygiene product? Perhaps a used one? And you can’t figure this out for yourself?

Youed be surprised, any word thats offensive in any language is subject to this reguardless of how innocent, gibberish or common the word is.
Sometimes even words that are close are a no,no.

Mythic once force renamed a female character I had in WAR named Futanare and refused to change it back or allow me to freely rename my character. I requested a name change twice and was threatend by permanet account banning if I sent them a email or ticket about it again. Which they did after I called them about it and demanded to speak to a supervisor.

Feel lucky OP

Kumu Honua.2751

Well, I can actually see it.

Just google the first 4 of your name. I guess I just know more “Questionable” material than most to be able to see it so easily.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Uh i doubt it is reviewed that much. I was forced to change my name twice, once literally just now.

Oh please, you are not asking that question seriously, are you? That’s straight-out vulgar.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Now the game says that the character name i had before is alrdy in use + if i pm gender bender from my other characters the message simply returns to me so i guess ill have to wait for that to be fixed, since it looks like the name is still bound to me.

Are you names all sorted now?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

This is accurate. We review carefully, and we respond to appeals if someone is truly confused about why a name was blocked. As this illustrates, we will rescind a block when appropriate.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Tap Skis.8240

no, cuz when you said that i could change it, i just couldnt do it since the game wrote that the name is alrdy taken, so if you could just jump into my account and change it to its original form i would rly apreciate it.

Kumu Honua.2751

I suspect that your haste to play and renaming the character to something other than “Gender Bender” may have screwed this up…

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

I agree, there is clearly no group of people that enforces a correct policy. If there were such a group, you would be banned immediatly for using that name. No appeal, no explanation, no reasoning, just ban immediatly.

People like you do not belong in a game.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Loli Ruri.8307

I agree, there is clearly no group of people that enforces a correct policy. If there were such a group, you would be banned immediatly for using that name. No appeal, no explanation, no reasoning, just ban immediatly.

People like you do not belong in a game.

You don’t say if somebody deserves to be, or not to be in the game, you report when you see something possibly in breach of ToS, and let ArenaNet decide. Us players are not the Judge here, we are participants and observers.

Tap Skis.8240

no since when u said that i can change my name back to original state, the game didnt let me to use Gender Bender cuz it was taken alrdy somehow. so i had to change my name again in order to play my guardian. i’ve posted a picture that proves what i’m writing about. So my wish would be if someone from a-net could jump into my account as u did to check if my name is ok, and change it to the original state, since i couldnt do that on my own. rly sry for all the bothering.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

no since when u said that i can change my name back to original state, the game didnt let me to use Gender Bender cuz it was taken alrdy somehow. so i had to change my name again in order to play my guardian. i’ve posted a picture that proves what i’m writing about. So my wish would be if someone from a-net could jump into my account as u did to check if my name is ok, and change it to the original state, since i couldnt do that on my own. rly sry for all the bothering.

We don’t jump onto anyone’s account. If the name was taken, I’m sorry, but it’s taken. We opened it up to use, but cannot now force someone else to rename a character in order to give you the name. You might try occasionally making a character, as the person currently using the name may delete the char or rename in the future.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Tap Skis.8240

We don’t jump onto anyone’s account. If the name was taken, I’m sorry, but it’s taken. We opened it up to use, but cannot now force someone else to rename a character in order to give you the name. You might try occasionally making a character, as the person currently using the name may delete the char or rename in the future.

no no no, when i pm the name i still pm myself so i guess the name is bound to me still, and when i wanted to change it didnt let me, so i guess you didnt unlock the name or sumtin

(edited by Tap Skis.8240)

Previous

Gaile Gray

no no no, when i pm the name i still pm myself so i guess the name is bound to me still, and when i wanted to change it didnt let me, so i guess you didnt unlock the name or sumtin

Ohhh, I see! Could you please update your ticket and an agent can set that right?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Tap Skis.8240

will do. and ty for all the help im getting from u Gaile.

Tap Skis.8240

As i got a reply from your staff my name was alrdy taken, so i ty for all the ’’help’’ and am rly sad to be leaving this game after 8 years of playing this series, but i lost all my will cuz this crap that happend.
and special thanks go to that person who stole my name.
cheers!

(edited by Tap Skis.8240)

Posted by: timmay.2613

timmay.2613

As i got a reply from your staff my name was alrdy taken, so i ty for all the ’’help’’ and am rly sad to be leaving this game after 8 years of playing this series, but i lost all my will cuz this crap that happend.
and special thanks go to that person who stole my name.
cheers!

That’s kind of a poor reason to quit playing a really good game.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I don’t see how that’s offensive considering we have an in game item called “Soiled Rag”..