Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Dick.4597

Dick.4597

Hello,
I’ve just received e-mail like this:
We are sorry to inform you that your login account xxx@gmail.com will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
[redacted]
Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld.

By: GM En Crankworx

So Guild Wars 2 Account Support Team
Did anyone else got it? I think it is a phishing e-mail so I’m not logging in using this links. I would appreciate any information regarding this. In and addition, I would like to add that I did access this site and ended up filling out the first part which consists of my email, the serial code, and one of my character’s name. I would really hope the support team could help me with this as I would hope not to be losing anything from the game or the entirety of the account itself!

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: tylian.2148

tylian.2148

Phishing for sure. Don’t go to that site and don’t enter ANY information at all on it.

Notice how it says that the message was sent from another player and not part of the Guild Wars 2 team? Yeah.

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

That is definitely a scam. You should use the in-game Report tool to report it.

Also, this is the wrong forum for this post.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You should contact the CS Team and advise them that you provided the phishing site your log-in credentials. You should read the Stickies covering Account Security and follow the suggestions to possibly keep your account from compromise.

Good luck.

Posted by: LunaDaysong.1764

LunaDaysong.1764

I got TWO of those just this morning. I was scared at first, then confused since the letter didn’t apply to me at all. Then I noticed that the message came from another player and immediately knew it was a scam and reported them.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Old news, redundantly reported many times in a day!!!!
BUT, Gaile, it has been asked/suggested many times that the notice about not coming from the GW2 is more eye catching—red or pulsating, moving flag—something that would draw attention to the fact that it is not from Anet to help those that panic and don’t read the entire e-mail.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yeah but Blude it’s like having an “are you sure” dialog popping up, people quickly learn to ignore it because 99% of the time it’s okay. A dancing, pulsing “this isn’t from ANet” would just get mentally filtered out especially if a player gets a lot of email from other players.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

A red message, at the top or bottom, would be something like Stickies. No one bothers to read them.

And, even when players read the ‘This is not from the GW2 Team’, they either ignore that and go to the site, or come here (which is, of course, better) asking if the in-game mail is real.

Thus, I’m not sure doing any more would make a difference.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I think it is a phishing e-mail

What is it about the “this was sent by another player” message at the bottom of that dialog left you in any doubt?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Yeah but Blude it’s like having an “are you sure” dialog popping up, people quickly learn to ignore it because 99% of the time it’s okay. A dancing, pulsing “this isn’t from ANet” would just get mentally filtered out especially if a player gets a lot of email from other players.

Yep, I see your point. I was debating posting about add a better notice or saying anyone who overreacts, doesn’t read the notice from anet ,visits the site and provides their info have only have themselves to blame. I’ll move to the user is at fault camp.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: Vitenka.7910

Vitenka.7910

I have also had this.

Full text of the in-game mail was:

We are sorry to inform you that your login account <<full account name>> will be shut down or partially limited in 72 hours duer to currency transactions of abnormal login. If you want to remove these restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
<< link that looks a bit like official arena net but is not >>
Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behaviour must be upheld

GM << Yeah, not saying it >>

So – thank you very very much for the “Note: This message was sent by another player” warning. Without it, I possibly might have fallen for it.

I did, of course, report this user for scamming. But it might be nice for Arenanet to make the warning more prominent when a URL is detected in a mail?