Guild Wars 2 low fps, unplayable

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Thenameless.1420

Thenameless.1420

I just bought GW2 some days ago, but I have 10 fps in combat(even with only 3 ppl battling), 25 fps while not in combat on an empty place, if there are some ppl around me fps goes down to 15. Also while I’m turning the camera fps goes down to half. I did everything that I found in the FAQs, CPU/GPU temperature is never over 45 degrees celsius. I’m using Performance Preset, everything on lowest. Here are my specs:

Windos 7 SP1
Intel E7500 2×2.93 Ghz
4 Gb Ram
ATI 4850 512 mb
1280×1024 resolution

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

If lowering graphics settings doesnt change fps much .its likely your CPU bottlnecking. However ..you GPU is also rather old ..its somthing like 4 or 5 gpu generations old so it could jus tas easy be you GPU.
bassicaly, your frame rates are around what i would expect with a older rig such as your own. You could porbably pull extra performance out if you make sure your Os is running only essential tasks in the background. OC both CPu and GPU ..and then see how it fairs.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Thenameless.1420

Thenameless.1420

Yeah old, but still powerful enough…I can play Skyrim on Ultra settings at a stable 30 fps. Btw I have some friends playing GW2 on medium/high settings on a PC worse than mine so it’s just not optimized correctly. I’m sure I should have more than 15 fps on lowest settings.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

You can monitor/confirm the CPU is being bottlenecked either by gw2 or another process.

Read this thread on how to:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-GPU-CPU-Performance-issues-FAQ/first#post504481

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: derekshreds.5394

derekshreds.5394

That sounds about right. With my old athlon x2 6000+ and gtx 460 i was getting 20-25 fps. When I upgraded to a pentium g2120 with the same gfx card I went up to ~130 fps on lowest settings

Posted by: Barnicals.5071

Barnicals.5071

My config:

Intel Q6850 Quad Core @ 3.00 Ghz
8 GB ram
64-bit OS Windows 7
GTX 580 (GF110) GDDR5 1.5 GB ram

My system experience this same issue…if I am in a big city or in a dragon fight (a lot of people in the area), my frame drops to 10-15 FPS. Keep in my with Process Explorer it states my system, across the board, is only at 60% with all graphics maxed. I have ran burn in tests on memory, CPU, and GPU. These all passed with flying colors.

I found another thread stating the code for this game is an overhaul of GW1. It stated the code was not designed very well and will not use the system at full capicity. Even the best i(branded proc) from Intel with 8 cores @ 4.2 Ghz does not do well with this game. The tread complete with, “Wait until Areonet fixes their code.”

There are three major Thread process it uses and does not use multi-core procs efficiently. There for, not matter what system you have, there is more than like going to be a drop in FPS in major cities and during event fights (dragons)

Here is the thread I pulled this information from (or you can read the information below)…

Look at section 4.3 and 4.4 (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FAQ-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Compilation/first#post1095406)

But, none of my CPU cores are fully loaded

What you are seeing in task manager is an average over time of the core’s usage. Threads work in short micro burst. So the core can be 100% loaded but appear to be less. Also, the OS will dynamically bounce thread work load around to different cores.
To get a better measure, you need to look at the per-thread CPU usage using tools like ProcessExplorer
GW2 actually uses about 50 threads, and uses every core. However, GW2 only has 3 threads that puts a large load on the CPU. One of those thread will be at a % just under 100/#core. (e.g 25% for quadcore) Most likely that thread is the main game loop coordinating everything.
Example: Quad core system. Each core should handle 25% cpu usage. There will be a GW2 thread on a core which has usage of near 25%, this is your bottlenecking thread holding everything down. http://i.imgur.com/L0Pom.png
Alternatively, you can test by disabling one of your CPU core. The result will be zero impact on FPS assuming you have 3+ cores, because GW2 only effectively have 3 threads actually using CPU load.