Guild Wars Account Be Shut Down Inform

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ventru.5302

Ventru.5302

Hello,
I’ve just received e-mail like this (it showed in my spam folder):

Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account xxx@gmail.com will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
https://account.guildwars2.com/login?

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/
Guild Wars 2 Account Support Team

Did anyone else got it? I think it is a phishing e-mail so I’m not logging in using this links. I would appreciate any information regarding this.

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

Yes it’s a phishing email, I’ve received a dozen and my account’s just fine. Last I checked GW2 doesn’t issue warnings like this, they’ll just suspend/ban and leave the contacting to contest the decision to you. (Plus the grammar in the title is iffy, I’d hope Anet knows better.)

For reference if this happens again, here’s a list of known scam mails: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Common-Phishing-E-mails

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

Posted by: GM Aurora.8530

GM Aurora.8530

Lead Game Master

Next

As jackaljag already said, this is a phishing email. Do not click on any of those links.

And jackaljag is also correct when he says that we don’t warn players about their accounts being suspended or even terminated. We just do it and then the players will have to contact us about the issue. We usually work things out in tickets.

Posted by: soistheman.7208

soistheman.7208

I got the same email. Glad I googled it before I touched any links on the emal.

Elementalist lover since GW1. It’s the only profession I play!

Posted by: Atlas Tsahalla.2456

Atlas Tsahalla.2456

Won’t disagree with anyone here, that is most probably phishing.

My problem here is that the links it directs you to are legit. They take you to the GuildWars2 website sign-in screen and the legal page, respectively.

Maybe the forums auto-corrected the links? Or maybe the sites sign-in page is compromised? (Highly unlikely of course!) Or maybe this is some highly devious plot by some dastardly hackers in a remote village somewhere?

Either way, I’m not sure I would call this phishing, unless the phisherman just wanted you to legitimately log in to the GuildWars2 site…in which case he/she get’s nothing out of this and no real harm done. Good job not clicking links though.

Posted by: bradldz.3728

bradldz.3728

My problem here is that the links it directs you to are legit. They take you to the GuildWars2 website sign-in screen and the legal page, respectively.

Maybe the forums auto-corrected the links? Or maybe the sites sign-in page is compromised? (Highly unlikely of course!) Or maybe this is some highly devious plot by some dastardly hackers in a remote village somewhere?

Either way, I’m not sure I would call this phishing, unless the phisherman just wanted you to legitimately log in to the GuildWars2 site…in which case he/she get’s nothing out of this and no real harm done. Good job not clicking links though.

As far as I can tell the first link at least is not genuine, I haven’t clicked on it but I assume it asks for your login details so the hackers can use them to get into your account. If you ever want to see if a link is genuine its a good idea to inspect it, as in this case you will see it is actually a different website link that is ‘disguised’ as a genuine link by naming it through code.

Atlas Tsahalla.2456

As far as I can tell the first link at least is not genuine, I haven’t clicked on it but I assume it asks for your login details so the hackers can use them to get into your account. If you ever want to see if a link is genuine its a good idea to inspect it, as in this case you will see it is actually a different website link that is ‘disguised’ as a genuine link by naming it through code.

I have clicked on the link, brought it up in a sandbox even. It takes you to the login page for the GuildWars 2 Site – or an exact replica. It’s even https.

I know the trick of hovering over a link to see where it takes you – in this case, it shows the link will redirect you to the “You’re leaving the GuildWars 2 forums…” notice, then redirects you to the legitimate login page. I must be missing something, so either way it’s a scam of some sorts, I just don’t see how.

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

URLs can be “hidden” covertly in emails – much like this one:

guildwars2.com

It LOOKS like the link would take you to the GuildWars2 site, but actually it’ll take you to Google.

When he copy/pasted the email into the message, he copied the top layer – the URL that appeared in the email, and not the “covert” or underlying URL underneath the link. That why it “looks” legitimate on the forums.

Just get into the habit of never clicking a link in EMail. If it’s an email from your bank, open a browser window and go to the banks site yourself, using a link you KNOW is valid. Same if if it’s an email from GW2; open a browser and go to the GuildWars2 site yourself. I don’t care if it’s an email from my mother, father, or brother – I will not click a link in Email.

(edited by Southern.8973)

Posted by: GM Awesomeness

Previous

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

^ Good advice. Thanks Southern!

Posted by: bradldz.3728

bradldz.3728

I have clicked on the link, brought it up in a sandbox even. It takes you to the login page for the GuildWars 2 Site – or an exact replica. It’s even https.

I know the trick of hovering over a link to see where it takes you – in this case, it shows the link will redirect you to the “You’re leaving the GuildWars 2 forums…” notice, then redirects you to the legitimate login page. I must be missing something, so either way it’s a scam of some sorts, I just don’t see how.

Yes I didn’t mean hover over, what I did was right click on the link and inspect it, that way you can look at the link in code and it reveals it takes you to a different location, not to the guild wars 2 login website as it claims, as that is just the ‘name’ they gave to the link, and must have made a pretty decent looking replica of the gw2 website then. Hope you didn’t try to login if you clicked on it, if you did I would suggest to change your details immediately.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Guys, your over analyzing it. The links posted are NOT the links that where in the original email. When you type out the text of a link or paste it in, the forum will turn it in to an actual link. The Op posted the text from the email, which had the text links displayed so they where turned in to the legitimate links above. The ACTUAL links in the email he received did NOT go to the same location as the displayed text so you cannot hover over them, or see the original links on this forum. The forum software created the links in his post, they are not the actual links from the email.

This kind of misunderstanding and confusion is why they ask you remove all links from any phishing emails before posting.

Atlas Tsahalla.2456

Thanks everyone, makes a lot more sense now. Good advice all-around.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Guys, your over analyzing it. The links posted are NOT the links that where in the original email. When you type out the text of a link or paste it in, the forum will turn it in to an actual link. The Op posted the text from the email, which had the text links displayed so they where turned in to the legitimate links above. The ACTUAL links in the email he received did NOT go to the same location as the displayed text so you cannot hover over them, or see the original links on this forum. The forum software created the links in his post, they are not the actual links from the email.

This kind of misunderstanding and confusion is why they ask you remove all links from any phishing emails before posting.

Not to be argumentative, but via the (very good) explanation you gave, it DID take some extensive analysis to detail the process. They WERE incorrectly analyzing the link, however.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

You can also use the “View” feature of your mailing programm and chose “Show Mail sourcecode” which gives you a textfile with the mail code itself. In that code you can find the IP adress of the one who sent the mail. If you copy that to google it tells you exactly where your mail came from (Hint: Chinese mails are never legit).

In this case the Mails were sent from Taiwan (Yeah I got one too) but as others pointed out due to the grammar and spelling alone it was pretty obvious… One could think they’d at least put some effort into their “buiseness”…

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I’ve also received that email, I was pretty sure it was a phishing attempt but glad to see it confirmed.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

Posted by: Baoz.4735

Baoz.4735

How come I never get one of those.