Guild deleted with no chance to change tag

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

My guild was deleted today with no message or warning, after about 4 months of having the guild with no issues. The guild name is Hands of My Octopus, with the tag [Homö]. I can see how there could be a problem with the tag, but not having a chance to just change the tag before deletion is very rude.

We had a reputation built up in WvW as a good havoc squad and quite a bit of influence and upgrades. Having to start again from scratch is unacceptable. Can you please revert the guild deletion?

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I really doubt they can revert it, nor would want to. Doesn’t that word mean “same”? But we’re not talking about a word here are we?

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I can see how there could be a problem with the tag

Your saying it exactly right. You are not surprised of the fact that it is offensive and so you know fully well you where taking a risk. If you didn’t want this to happen you should have used common sense when you created the guild.

I’m sorry you have to start over, but like a us-president once said. If you can’t stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. You took a risk, now you have to live with the consequences.

Hope you rebuild quickly.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

The guild name is Hands of My Octopus, with the tag [Homö]. I can see how there could be a problem with the tag, but not having a chance to just change the tag before deletion is very rude.

Looks like you proc’d [Lex Talionis].

(edited by LeCreaux.3087)

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I’m ignoring the names of any guilds that get deleted and looking only at the logistics of handling guild names:

Players with offensive names get to rename their characters. I think that given the impact this can have on multiple people contributing to the building of guild via influence and upgrades, it would be good if guilds were also required to be renamed. Barring that, at the very least give them warning to remove all items from their guild banks.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t think ANet has the implemented tech to allow you to change the name of your guild. They, thus, have two options:

• Allow the guild to persist as-is in an offensive state
  • Delete the guild

I can see why they chose option 2, honestly, as the burden is really on the guild players to make sure their guild name/tag follow the EULA.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: wild.9268

wild.9268

same here. we nearly had the upgrade for the guild-trecks… bounty for 50 merrits also completed and now guild is gone..

guildbank with items/gold… gone … members wasted gold for influence as well. nice ANET.

what now? how to communicate?

how to gather all players again together!?

lets see what the support is doing..

edit;// members already complaining Oo

(edited by wild.9268)

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

same here. we nearly had the upgrade for the guild-trecks… bounty for 50 merrits also completed and now guild is gone..

guildbank with items/gold… gone … members wasted gold for influence as well. nice ANET.

what now? how to communicate?

how to gather all players again together!?

lets see what the support is doing..

edit;// members already complaining Oo

One thing ArenaNet has made clear since day one and have remained consistent about is enforcement of their ToS. It’s no secret by now that daring them to enforce it is a losing bet.

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

“For issues related to display, guild, or pet names, the Support Team will change the name or will designate the appropriate action to be taken on the part of the player to amend the unacceptable name.”

It says right in the Guild Wars 2 Naming Policy that a guild name can be changed. It is quite ridiculous to just delete the whole guild. It’s a good thing we don’t use the guild bank, but gold was wasted on buying influence the day before deletion.

I actually expect nothing productive to happen with this thread because every game I’ve played has bad customer service and is no help.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Maybe you guys shouldn’t have picked something so offensive. And I’m glad they deleted the guild, teaches people that there are rules and if you choose not to follow them, you could suffer the wrath.

“For issues related to display, guild, or pet names, the Support Team will change the name or will designate the appropriate action to be taken on the part of the player to amend the unacceptable name.”

They chose that deleting the guild would be a better punishment seeing as everyone in the guild took part in it.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Fu Ling U.6918

Fu Ling U.6918

Guild Wars 2 Conduct Breaches & Outcomes:

•If an unacceptable guild name or guild acronym (“tag”) is noted or reported, a mark will be placed on the guild creator’s account. The guild will be reset to “0? on the Guild Ladder and will be unable to issue challenges; the only option will be to dissolve the guild. There is no option for renaming a guild at this time.

You can find the complete tekst here…

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

While the guild names that I’ve seen posted that got deleted were obviously offensive and I would never use them, I’ve seen some character names posted here that I had no idea were offensive. Sorry but my family doesn’t use those words and I don’t go around trying to find out what they mean.

That said, how do any of us know that some word in our guild name isn’t offensive to some person some where in the entire world in some language?

For example, someone in a guild I was in (Guild Wars 1) said they were going to take a break and smoke a cigarette. Only they phrased it in the slang of their country and the guild went ballistic….WHAT DID YOU SAY????!!!! The person was confused. Then we found out the slang word for cigarettes in their country meant something very different in our country. How do we all know that something we think is unoffensive and a bit clever isn’t something that will get your guild banned?

Personally, I would like for it to be set up that we can have our guild names checked and either cleared or told no, that isn’t allowed so that we can clear out our guild banks and not upgrade and get a “cleared name” to build a guild.

Perhaps I am overly concerned here but I’ve never been one of those persons who said, oh that would never happen to me. Murphy’s Law.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: wild.9268

wild.9268

we calling our small gaming group for nearly over 5 years “Alles Nur Aus Liebe” .. yeah and its correct abreviation is ANAL
so espeacially me didnt rly think about it while creation.
Now after playing a while we grew up to around 30 active players, started with 2-3…

our name “Alles Nur Aus Liebe” means in english sth like “everything out of love” or “all from only love” kinda pun word. with a lot of ways of interpreation..
but who cares… lets destroy some communities here called “guilds” .. like the name guildwars whowhowowh
\\btw guildwars is offending reminds on real wars. change name plz\\

sry I am a bit frustrated.. cause of the nice support.. maybe i gonna publish the discussion here.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I don’t think ANet has the implemented tech to allow you to change the name of your guild. They, thus, have two options:

• Allow the guild to persist as-is in an offensive state
  • Delete the guild

I can see why they chose option 2, honestly, as the burden is really on the guild players to make sure their guild name/tag follow the EULA.

Thank you for understanding and for explaining our options so clearly.

We had about 40 reported guilds. 21 were actioned, the worst offenders, names that truly cannot remain in the game. Whatever the motivation to naming a guild for sexual acts, racist beliefs, hate mongering, etc., the fact is: Names cannot be filtered. So even the filter — which is not designed to give anyone a “License to Swear” — is not going to help people avoid seeing the most flagrant and offensive of names. (And I saw them all, and some of them were really, really bad. )

Flout: to treat with disdain, scorn, or contempt; scoff at; mock: “to flout the rules of propriety.” If you or your guild creator chooses the flout the Naming Policy, the UA, and/or the Rules of Conduct, expect to face consequences which, at this time, means the guild will be disbanded.

We love our players and our guilds, but we must uphold certain reasonable standards, for the very benefit of the players we care about.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet