HELP! Any ATI users with a 3 screen setup?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Lady Lozza.9670

Lady Lozza.9670

Due to the game forcing a resolution change from 1980×1080 to 5760×1080 continually, the game is becoming impossible to play. Support has told me they do not support my setup an will not help me any further with the issue.

I know there are users around with a native 5760 setup – I’d like to know whether Anet supports the NVidia version and doesn’t support the ATI version. Or whether other ATI players with a similar setup are not suffering the issue I get at all.

ADDED Feb 13 2013:
I gave up yesterday after three resolution changes within seconds of each other and just started running the game at 5760, problem is this isn’t just a 1980 issue apparently – I get a blackscreen much the way you get a blackscreen on some graphics setting changes before the game comes back just fine. There are no reports of the driver crashing or the game crashing or any other error.

This is only an issue with GW2 something with this game is severely broken for my machine and support will not help me. (Repair and re-installs do not work – already tried that.)

(edited by Lady Lozza.9670)

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

So you’re running in Eyefinity? Is that correct?

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

I use surround its completely supported . Though cutscenes are messes up and ui can’t be scaled higher or lower. Ther than that it works just fine and I managed to force 74hz in game settings

Posted by: Alkaline.2809

Alkaline.2809

Do a google search for flawless widescreen.

Lady Lozza.9670

Goloith, correct it’s the only way to get the 5760×1080 setup without third party software that I know of.

Raijinn, I use the chat window frequently which is the big detractor for me and the large map on the M key is practically useless. I can live with the character select navel gazing but the other two issues are what keeps me from running it across my three screens.

Alkaline, yes a friend has suggested this however given it can move UI elements around I am worried that the game will detect it as disallowed third party software – also does it fix the map? Seems that it only fixes chat and other UI elements.

Posted by: Alkaline.2809

Alkaline.2809

Yea it fixed the map for me.

I have been using it since the game launched. If it did not work I would no longer play the game since I am addicted to three screens.

There has been zero problems with my screens and I have gone from ati crossfire 6850 to 7970.

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Just in case it helps someone (although I’m sure it’s different for ATI users):

On my Nvidia 3 screen setup, if I set the game to 5760×1080 the chat window and mini map appear on the middle screen, but if I set it to “windowed fullscreen” they appear on the outer monitors.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Yea it fixed the map for me.

I have been using it since the game launched. If it did not work I would no longer play the game since I am addicted to three screens.

There has been zero problems with my screens and I have gone from ati crossfire 6850 to 7970.

How does it fix the map?

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Posted by: Mazhurg.5720

Mazhurg.5720

Anet Tech dev Bill Friest stated over 5 months ago that a solution for ATI users was forthcoming in this post

Unfortunately only Nvidia users got some love from this, leading me to believe that Anet don’t give a rat for AMD users.

And no, WS is not really an option, even if it is a kludged solution, as it ends up being another background process that does interfere and sometimes break the ATI drivers.

Lady Lozza.9670

Just updated the first post. Flawless widescreen does not fix this issue.

Posted by: sixshot.5798

sixshot.5798

I’m going to go out on a limb here and present a similar scenario. Maybe it’ll shed some light on the matter.

First, the OP mentions of the game changing resolution from the usual 1920×1080 to an Eyefinity-sized resolution. As I have played in Eyefinity on my dual 6950 in Crossfire a while ago, I have noticed similar behavior before. But it was more a random thing. Of one of these instance, I have somewhat tracked it down to the “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager” service. I run a fancier visuals for my desktop so I also have 3rd-party applications to spice up my desktop experience. So during the times when the game happens to auto-change from my single-monitor resolution to triple-monitor resolution, I also noticed that all the window borders don’t have their transparent effects. A restart of this service would fix this.

Is there a solution to this? Maybe and maybe not. I often keep my drivers up to date, especially if it pertains to performance enhancements or possible fixes related to the game. So it helps to keep the drivers up to date.

Second thing to possibly to try is to turn on the “Disable desktop composition” in GW2’s shortcut (Properties → Compatibility tab). In theory, this may either eliminate the spontaneous resolution switch or make it less frequent.

Third and last idea in mind is to kill off Aero and any transparency effects on Windows. This is assuming that you’re one of the people who have stuck with Windows 7 or Vista. I’ll be assuming that Windows 8 has no such option since they’ve killed the whole Aero desktop composition feature altogether.

Anyway, best of luck to trying to solve the problem.

http://bit.ly/1hswOLL (GW2 Boss Schedule)