Help with game "smoothness"?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Winterhound.1942

Winterhound.1942

Q:

I re-installed GW2 on an upgraded desktop, and now I can’t even run in one line smoothly. =( Every 2 or 3 steps, the screen slows down and goes back up again. So, movement feels very choppy.

It’s not the graphics setting because it’s still doing this even in the lowest setting. I didn’t have this problem before I upgraded the computer. It’s not the network either because I have another GW2 installation on my laptop. I tested that and it ran smoothly.

Any insights/guesses? Below is some history if you want to know what I changed.

Earlier today, I figured it was a good time to change the hard disk because there were sectors with errors in it. I upgraded the hard disk from 1 TB to 2TB. I re-installed windows and re-installed GW2, installed the latest driver for my AMD/ATI Radeon GPU. Currently Windows isn’t recognizing my Audigy sound card, but I plugged my speakers to the default sound connectors from the motherboard so that I’ll have sound while I figure that out. Nothing else changed hardware-wise. I, however, got hijacked by Delta Search (some kind of search engine that’s insistent to stay with my Chrome browser). =/ I wonder if that has anything to do with this (as far as cutting into the Internet data packets that are coming into the system).

So, what do you think? Is it the new hard disk? Is it the sound card? Do I need a new network card? Should I just get all the motherboard drivers? (I probably don’t need to defragment the hard disk yet since it’s brand new….)

Help!

(edited by Winterhound.1942)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since you’ve told us almost nothing about your system, make/model, CPU, memory, video card, there is nothing we can recommend.

And why would you think increasing the capacity of your hard drive would affect the performance of a game? Retailers must love you.

Note however if the game thinks you are in melee, you will slow down slightly until you are no longer pursued.

Use CPU-Z to tell us about your system and GPU-Z to tell us about the video card. Just post a screen shot of both of these running on your desktop and then we’ll at least have a starting point for a discussion.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Have you been experiencing this very recently? The build on 2nd July has had more or less the same effect on my rig and I’m talking to NCSoft/Anet about it with an open ticket.

Perhaps you could try that also.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Winterhound.1942

Winterhound.1942

Thanks, Guys. I’ll try your suggestions.

(By the way, my theory is that it’ll take the CPU longer to find data in hard disks with more storage, thereby decreasing performance, but then again, I may be wrong.)

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Again, you haven’t told us anything about your computer and what parts you are using.