High Ranked players & Commanders hacked [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Plesh.8035

Plesh.8035

Iruwen,
seems like your account is doing well and I hope that it’ll be safe, but you should think or read some posts before posting. First – the majority of hacked people are not some first time players using a 3rd party software/site and it is so obvious that I wonder why I have to type this. For example I have played computer games for years (since quake 2 and mortal kombat..) and in my most hardcore days I have played around 20 hours/day. Now I don’t have the time to do so, but I still had a good amount of hours played and I’m sure that the other wealthy players were dedicated to the game, etc. And second – You can believe in w/e reason you want we got hacked, but the sad truth is that people are being targeted. Otherwise the amount hacked will be much more (hackers are looking for wealthy players, they don’t need some 3rd class ppl with green stuff and 2 gold in their accounts). That said if most of the people are commanders/golden, etc (which is the main issue here) that is an indicator of people being targeted and not “infected with some fishy software”. Think about this a little and you’ll see whats going on even if you are not being hacked yourself.

Posted by: talula.1064

talula.1064

Incidentally, account restorations are very, very close.

Can you confirm this Gaile? I have tickets from GM’s stating otherwise dated today.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Incidentally, account restorations are very, very close.

Can you confirm this Gaile? I have tickets from GM’s stating otherwise dated today.

Yes, account restorations are very close to being rolled out for all players. There will be qualifiers and requirements, of course, so not every account will be rolled back upon request. (For instance, restorations are only for compromised accounts.)

We’ll have more information in the next few days.

If your ticket says something different, could you please give me the number so I can review the messaging?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: BSMO.4560

BSMO.4560

Once again I got 2 DC under 3 minutes at 1 am ….. WTF ? !!!!!
I checked my account email and the IP connexion from here, absolutely nothing is suspicious. the only thing I could do was to change my password again in order to block the “f……. hacker” and keeping the non stop logging after DC !!!!!!

I’m desperated and tired to be feared 24/24 … every day before going to work I need to check my account if my characters and their stuff that I restarted to collect after the 1st hack are still here …. and every times I’m scared to see weither they re deleted or naked as it could be ….

Arena net support doesn’t give me any available answer about my account ’s security and keep asking me to protect my email adress which is done for sure a long ago.

Besides I’d like to know if the support need screenshot to prouve the lost gear ???
If yes then I’ m going to sent them every screen shot in order to be enable to have a roll back to catch back my 898hours of gaming …

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Once again I got 2 DC under 3 minutes at 1 am ….. WTF ? !!!!!
I checked my account email and the IP connexion from here, absolutely nothing is suspicious. the only thing I could do was to change my password again in order to block the “f……. hacker” and keeping the non stop logging after DC !!!!!!

I’m desperated and tired to be feared 24/24 … every day before going to work I need to check my account if my characters and their stuff that I restarted to collect after the 1st hack are still here …. and every times I’m scared to see weither they re deleted or naked as it could be ….

Arena net support doesn’t give me any available answer about my account ’s security and keep asking me to protect my email adress which is done for sure a long ago.

Besides I’d like to know if the support need screenshot to prouve the lost gear ???
If yes then I’ m going to sent them every screen shot in order to be enable to have a roll back to catch back my 898hours of gaming …

This sounds as if you need a thorough scan of your system, because the symptoms you describe are very like those of a keylogger. And yes, until you remove that malicious code, you can be hacked again and again.

Obviously, there’s nothing that our Support Team can do on our end to increase your personal computer’s individual security. This is coming from outside the game.

Consider using the tips that they shared with you during the first hacking incident or perhaps, as others have done, “flattening” your system to the OS and reinstalling all your programs. Doing this is a lot of work, but it may be the only way to really address the issue and I truly believe your computer may be the problem, if you are absolutely certain your email is clear.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

Characters are stored on ANet servers…servers are backed up regularly (well that is an assumption…. they wont deny it as they would look really silly)….therefore character data IS available…..it may be just a little bit tiresome to get it…but data IS available so why can’t characters be restored? I think it is more a policy thing again rather than a tech issue….especially over 3 months into the game.

Things are not always as easy as they appear. I manage a database application. The server is backed up several times a day as it is critical information. If a record is deleted, I cannot restore it without restoreing the entire database. That would mean doing a “rollback” on our entire application. It’s very easy to imagine that the GW2 database could be very similier as this is actually VERY common.

Thanx for that. I am aware of the types of systems issues that may be involved (in a past life I was a systems auditor and a systems analyst).

My point was simply that the data IS available in one format or another and 3 months into the game you would expect that ANet would be able to access that to restore a character (a very common support issue with gamers for whatever reason). My concern is that their priorities seem all directed at new content rather than fixing what is there (yes bugs) and supporting existing clients with at least minimal facility.

Edit: Having said all that, I can see why they may have opted for the “no-restoration” policy from the get go. Character restores will take a considerable infrastructure to handle, policy development surrounding what/when will and will not be restored etc etc, avoiding exploitation and handling the inevitable whining associated with THAT process. But avoiding very basic support processes is NOT the answer just because they are difficult.

(edited by Oldbugga.7029)

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

If more of their focus is on new content instead of restoring hacked accounts or fixing bugs that affect a very small subset of the player base, I see nothing wrong with that. I’d be willing to bet a few months of paychecks that the vast majority of players have never lost access to their GW2 accounts. It’s logical for a company to focus most of its resources on pleasing the majority of the players. If most GW2 players were getting their accounts hacked, then yes the bulk of the development efforts would probably be on account restorations.

anonymouse.9053

Actually there is an alarming amount of hack reports on forums. If you consider that only 5-10% of playerbase uses forums (and even less are posting), then it does look like a security problem on A-Net’s side. While some hacks may have occurred due bruteforcing, but ability to target certain players is an evidence of either database theft or a serious security overlook in log in process.

I would expect that people who’ve had their accounts compromised WOULD post in the forums about it even if those people have never used the forums before.

Posted by: Smokesacks.1084

Smokesacks.1084

If more of their focus is on new content instead of restoring hacked accounts or fixing bugs that affect a very small subset of the player base, I see nothing wrong with that. I’d be willing to bet a few months of paychecks that the vast majority of players have never lost access to their GW2 accounts. It’s logical for a company to focus most of its resources on pleasing the majority of the players. If most GW2 players were getting their accounts hacked, then yes the bulk of the development efforts would probably be on account restorations.

Although the number of players that have had their accounts hacked is a small portion of the population, this issue still effects everyone that plays the game. No reasonable person would expect an entire company to drop everything they are doing to work on account restoration but it is reasonable to ask that someone does work on what should be basic service to an online only game.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

If more of their focus is on new content instead of restoring hacked accounts or fixing bugs that affect a very small subset of the player base, I see nothing wrong with that.

Doh, isn’t that what they are doing? Focusing on new content and fluff items instead of fixing bugs/classbalance/whatever… sigh.

Bugs first, then content. But I digress, back on topic – sorry.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

If more of their focus is on new content instead of restoring hacked accounts or fixing bugs that affect a very small subset of the player base, I see nothing wrong with that.

Doh, isn’t that what they are doing? Focusing on new content and fluff items instead of fixing bugs/classbalance/whatever… sigh.
Bugs first, then content. But I digress, back on topic – sorry.

Those are completely different areas of the game and there are different developers or teams working on different issues, so no they don’t do one thing and don’t care about everything else, they’re working on several aspects of the game at once like every other software developer. They have probably been working on the new content and one time events long before most of the bugs we currently experience even existed, content designers are not necessarily programmers. The fact that some bugs have not been fixed since release may be a hint that they didn’t design the engine properly from scratch so those bugs are now hard to fix, the same is true for reoccuring problems (loading screen) or fixes on one end breaking things on the other (skill changes), but not that they’re disregarding fixes.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Toothy.8640

Toothy.8640

Thank you for contacting everyone Gaile, the restoration is definitely a long-awaited thing that I’m sure everyone is very pleased out.

One thing though, even if the accounts are restored, there is still the issue of how they were compromised. If someone does not know why it happened, they cannot be sure it won’t happen again, and a few people in the thread have not had their emails compromised and some even bought the game retail.
If Arenanet can find out how it happened, could you please post the results? People definitely have a right to know if their computer is not secure, and if Arenanet cannot find any problem with the tickets, ie. the cdkeys WERE provided, that means these people could have vulnerable computers or email accounts. However, I still cannot see any way these hackers could have provided the cdkeys of people who bought the game retail, that would indicate their house was broken into or they’ve had a keylogger on their pc since the game was released. Either way, they should be told to what extent they have been compromised.

anonymouse.9053

Although the number of players that have had their accounts hacked is a small portion of the population, this issue still effects everyone that plays the game. No reasonable person would expect an entire company to drop everything they are doing to work on account restoration but it is reasonable to ask that someone does work on what should be basic service to an online only game.

Then perhaps you haven’t seen the multiple posts where it is indicated that ArenaNet is working on offering account restorations, and they do currently offer basic account services. No game offers every single account feature or service, but many, including ArenaNet, do offer basic services and add to those services as time goes on.

BSMO.4560

This sounds as if you need a thorough scan of your system, because the symptoms you describe are very like those of a keylogger. And yes, until you remove that malicious code, you can be hacked again and again.

Obviously, there’s nothing that our Support Team can do on our end to increase your personal computer’s individual security. This is coming from outside the game.

Consider using the tips that they shared with you during the first hacking incident or perhaps, as others have done, “flattening” your system to the OS and reinstalling all your programs. Doing this is a lot of work, but it may be the only way to really address the issue and I truly believe your computer may be the problem, if you are absolutely certain your email is clear.

Hey Gaile, thank you for your advices but be sure everything was done before I started to post my story in the forum.

Indeed when I get hacked the first time (21/11/2012) I though I was infected by some trojean or keylogger so quickly I did a huge check up and clean up thanks to Spybot, Ad-aware, Avast and CCleaner. They all reveled any intrusted files.

However when I get a second DC even after increased my email and account securities with several authentificators, the last option seems to be the reinstallation of the windows. So I did it november the 28th !! Now my computer got only the really needed programs without any useless or insecured one.

Therefore, I thought I’ll be definitely save, moreover I also stopped visiting any tiers website ( like gw reddit, guru etcc … ) from my computer to prevent any kind of infection and use my ipad to check them.

But as you can see, even after completely reseting the security and the material, last night at 1 am I still got 2 DC from an “unknow connexion” without needing authentification.

The last thing I wanna underline is the importance I granted for the account’s security. I’ve been playing online games for more than 8 years. I started at 14 with D2, GW1, Aion and D3 to finally join GW2 community since the 1st beta.
I ve never been hacked from any of those games because I used to keep very carefully my email, password and pc’s safety.

Thus, I’m still convainced there’s another explanation for thoses hacks with so many similarities.

(edited by BSMO.4560)

Posted by: Yangxai.5416

Yangxai.5416

Well I just hacked today. I haven’t played in about a week due to mid terms and got several emails from Arenanet earlier in the day asking me to authorize log inns from Los angelas and China.

This got me worried; when i got home i tried to log in but my password had been reset. I changed it back and checked my Character. Everything is gone; all my exotics; gold, runes. They even took my 35+ seige blueprints i been saving up.

I have a hard copy of the game; My character is SoR. maybe this info can be helpful in some way.

Also I hope my account can get restored; I just don’t feel like playing anymore if all my time spent in GW2 gets lost.

Posted by: Bibi.6817

Bibi.6817

Today i logged into my account and had all my 8 characters deleted, 3 level 80s one with a legendary Twilight. No email to say that the account was accessed from another IP everything i have ever worked on has gone. I’m very disappointed to say the least as i have worked very hard on all these characters one of which is a commander with a substantial amount of gold on its person.

My guild mates advise me that i was logged in when i was sleeping but they didn’t think anything of it as i have a strange sleeping pattern.

I would really appreciate my account being restored asap especially the legendary (and if you can make my Mesmer an Asura i would be doubly grateful! (just joking to try to cheer up my bad mood, but this would be a nice bonus considering i have a different password for my email and game account, and restore my faith in anet :p

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Today i logged into my account and had all my 8 characters deleted, 3 level 80s one with a legendary Twilight. No email to say that the account was accessed from another IP everything i have ever worked on has gone. I’m very disappointed to say the least as i have worked very hard on all these characters one of which is a commander with a substantial amount of gold on its person.

My guild mates advise me that i was logged in when i was sleeping but they didn’t think anything of it as i have a strange sleeping pattern.

I would really appreciate my account being restored asap especially the legendary (and if you can make my Mesmer an Asura i would be doubly grateful! (just joking to try to cheer up my bad mood, but this would be a nice bonus considering i have a different password for my email and game account, and restore my faith in anet :p

What sort of authentication do you have on your account? Two-factor auth or email auth? Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Bibi.6817

What sort of authentication do you have on your account? Two-factor auth or email auth? Thanks.

I have the email authenticator

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

If your account has been accessed and you have access to the account, please be sure you change your password as soon as possible. Consider that your email may have been compromised (especially if you have the same password on your email as you have on your game account).

If you do not have access to your account, be sure to tell the Support Team that detail when you submit your ticket.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Bibi.6817

If your account has been accessed and you have access to the account, please be sure you change your password as soon as possible. Consider that your email may have been compromised (especially if you have the same password on your email as you have on your game account).

If you do not have access to your account, be sure to tell the Support Team that detail when you submit your ticket.

i have changed all the above, (ma game email and main email and passwords are all different) and the response to the ticket i sent was this

We are sorry for your breach of account, however as the account was accessed from your IP address there is nothing we can do, we are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and trust that you understand our reasoning. Maybe a family member did this. If you have any further questions or problems please do not hesitate to contact us again

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

i have changed all the above, (ma game email and main email and passwords are all different) and the response to the ticket i sent was this

We are sorry for your breach of account, however as the account was accessed from your IP address there is nothing we can do, we are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and trust that you understand our reasoning. Maybe a family member did this. If you have any further questions or problems please do not hesitate to contact us again

I was just going to respond with the information that I had acquired: “This account shows zero logins from unapproved IPs – not even attempts. If all the details are accurate, they were attacked by someone who has physical access to their approved/accepted machines.”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Bibi.6817

I was just going to respond with the information that I had acquired: “This account shows zero logins from unapproved IPs – not even attempts. If all the details are accurate, they were attacked by someone who has physical access to their approved/accepted machines.”

I live alone….

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I live alone….

Very confusing, then! Let us continue to look into this for you. We have your ticket info and will discuss with you to get more info. Oh, do be sure that you share the latest info in your ticket, so we have it all in one place.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Bibi.6817

I live alone….

ponder Have you had an suspicious delivery persons? A pizza you didn’t order showing up with a sketchy looking person who lingered around your computer? I don’t mean to make light of a serious, but I’m really confused about this one.

I will let our Security Coordinator know about this, as I think it sheds new light on the issue. One question: Do you save your credentials on your account on your computer? Just curious.

Nope, nothing of the sort, im very secure i keep nothing on there at all and i dont even have WiFi nothing at all is saved on my account. id really like this sorted asap as ive lost so much

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Bibi.6817

What worries me, is when i changed my email and password, i didn’t get a confirmation email to say it had happened. Is this usual?

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Posted by: Cyrus.8261

Cyrus.8261

If you live alone and nobody else has physical access to your computer, I would guess that you have a trojan onboard that can function as a proxy for the hacker’s GW2 client.

This was the obvious avenue of attack as soon as “remember network” was added to the security system and if this isn’t an example already, it’s going to happen sometime soon. I hope ArenaNet considers the possibility and doesn’t just leave you in the cold.

Bibi.6817

@ Cyrus

On Monday my HDD blew up, i have a fresh install of Windows AV and all sorts of protection on my PC, believe me i am very secure with it as being disabled gaming is my life and only hobby. Kinda makes me want to go find another game to play even tho Guild Wars is something i love, just the prospect of having to explore everywhere again, do all the crafting let alone getting my legendary back… its kinda disheartening

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

I have located a group of players on Yak’s bend that have been in the same spot in Malchor’s Leap for days.
There are tags such as [CLAN], [LOG], [AL], [EB], [RN], but there are also alot without tags. Would be nice if anyone recognizes.

These are not just rangers with bears. They are geared and all classes.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

(edited by Chuck.8196)

Posted by: XunlaiSpy.9384

XunlaiSpy.9384

I realize keeping old passwords in the DB is to prevent (any) players from using the same password.

I have a question:

Are old but uncompromised passwords still tied to the GW2 account?

For example:

Lets say I used to use an uncompromised “Password1234” as my old GW2 password which also happened to be the password for my email account. After reading Mike O’Brien’s article, I decided to change my GW2 password to keep it different from my email. Let’s say I didn’t change my email password …

Password1234 is now part of the unusable passwords since it’s still stored in the DB.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

“(The blacklist contains passwords only, not account names.)”

Does he mean GW2 account names or compromised website/email account names?

I want to know if Password1234 is still associated with my XunlaiSpy account. If it is, anyone who has access to the potentially compromised database now has access to my email address’ password. (Remember, I didn’t bother to change the email password …)

The fact is that the historical cross-reference from ANet itself led to a compromise. Which may be what Commander players are experiencing …

So … what used to be a clean uncompromised password is now compromised because ANet stored it to prevent other players from using it but hackers were able to use it themselves in another way …

(edited by XunlaiSpy.9384)

Posted by: Senzox.2850

Senzox.2850

Now after seeing this post I am not sure whether to get authenticator or not…

Cyrus.8261

@ Cyrus

On Monday my HDD blew up, i have a fresh install of Windows AV and all sorts of protection on my PC, believe me i am very secure with it as being disabled gaming is my life and only hobby. Kinda makes me want to go find another game to play even tho Guild Wars is something i love, just the prospect of having to explore everywhere again, do all the crafting let alone getting my legendary back… its kinda disheartening

I didn’t mean it as an attack on your security, but as a point you might want to take up with ArenaNet’s support, because they seem to say only your own IP address was logged, so it wasn’t hackers that did it, it was you. My point is that that isn’t necessarily the case.

Posted by: AstraStarr.5018

AstraStarr.5018

My concern’s atm are:

Why does the “your email has been changed” email not have a confirmation link etc?
Why was the hacker able to login to one of my characters and access my bank while I was also logged in on a different character?

Shame I can’t get mobile auth due to my phone type, but some of the players hacked are using mobile authenticator anyway. Once they change your email they can login and disable it I believe?

So the root of the problem is how are they changing the email to begin with.

Because confirmation link was sent to new e-mail address. Whoever thought it was a good idea should be fired on spot.

Agreed- I just got hacked and lost EVERYTHING except the armor I was wearing. They even deleted all my email :*(

All the correspondence from AN has been on my email address that was hacked- AND they requested my serial number- so it’s right there to see in my email responses. I changed my email password, but if it gets hacked again- they will have the whole conversation, numbers and all.

I don’t care- I don’t want to play anymore
I was just starting to really have fun and it was almost everything I’d been waiting for (I’ve been waiting for something that would take me back to my EQ days)

And now this. I’m done.

Posted by: AstraStarr.5018

AstraStarr.5018

BTW Anet is not providing anything for people that had items stolen. Not even a pity gift. When I played EQ, if something like this happened they’d give people exp drinks or alternate advances- something to make up for it a little.

I am not saying Anet can restore what was taken- obviously not. But since they control certain things, like black lion trading and commendation etc- they could give every proven to be hacked account an I’m sorry token like- 1000 gems, or boosters kits, 500 commendations, and not just go find a heart person and buy cheap karma armor.

Anet is killing this game.

BSMO.4560

BTW Anet is not providing anything for people that had items stolen. Not even a pity gift. When I played EQ, if something like this happened they’d give people exp drinks or alternate advances- something to make up for it a little.

I am not saying Anet can restore what was taken- obviously not. But since they control certain things, like black lion trading and commendation etc- they could give every proven to be hacked account an I’m sorry token like- 1000 gems, or boosters kits, 500 commendations, and not just go find a heart person and buy cheap karma armor.

+1
Absolutely I’m totally agreed, I don’t think Arena Net will be able to roll back every hacked account and if they still don’t annonce this very soon, players should be supported by receiving some gems from Arena Net ….

(edited by BSMO.4560)

Posted by: Plesh.8035

Plesh.8035

+1
Absolutely I’m totally agreed, I don’t think Arena Net will be able to roll back every hacked account and if they still don’t annonce this very soon, players should be supported by eceiving some gems from Arena Net ….

+1
They have already killed this game in my opinion. My account was hacked on November 23rd. Support have failed, their “coming soon restoration system” is coming as fast as they released the game. I still cant understand how is possible to fail with support, when this is the most important thing in a MMO… Too bad. I’ve played this game a lot, kinda liked it (it was not the best out there, but I always hoped that it’ll become the best), but that’s it. Playing a game where PvE is pure farm, PvP is kinda fail too, many annoying bugs (like the “invulnerable” mobs and obstructed) it is not worth my time. The game has great graphics, but the sad truth is that’s all it has.

I will remember this MMO with his puzzles and maybe characters personal storyline. Can’t think of anything else. Good luck to everyone no matter if you still play the game or not!

Posted by: Holion.5604

Holion.5604

few days ago i got 3 email authentications saying that someone from japan tried to access my account wtf

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

+1
Absolutely I’m totally agreed, I don’t think Arena Net will be able to roll back every hacked account and if they still don’t annonce this very soon, players should be supported by eceiving some gems from Arena Net ….

Yeah. Even if they can’t restore an account fully (which is a stupid thing to say – even if it takes a support person actually going in and making manual updates there are ways to do this, it’s totally a policy decision and a “won’t” not a “can’t”) they should take care of paying customers. Hanging hacked players out to dry is just bad customer service, and is something I would expect from a low-tier F2P game, not P2P.

Posted by: Perfectxshot.6712

Perfectxshot.6712

+1

Yeah. Even if they can’t restore an account fully (which is a stupid thing to say – even if it takes a support person actually going in and making manual updates there are ways to do this, it’s totally a policy decision and a “won’t” not a “can’t”) they should take care of paying customers. Hanging hacked players out to dry is just bad customer service, and is something I would expect from a low-tier F2P game, not P2P.

As far as something like gems, boosters, commendations or anything like that…i honestly don’t care about. But, when they do eventually come out with the account restorations, even if i cant get one due to it being a “from this point on” type deal, i would still like compensation for the 1 thing that i actually had to put a lot of time into; and that’s my Legendary(The Dreamer). I can and will get everything that really mattered back pretty fast, but that bow…there’s no way i’m going for it again haha. So hopefully they do put that extra effort in and are able to give me back my legendary, even if i cant get a full restoration… Which by the way, Galie do you have an update for us? I i know, 4 days ago or so, you said you’d have more info on it in a few days …was just wondering.

(edited by Perfectxshot.6712)

Posted by: Ketharius.9018

Ketharius.9018

These threads are making my friend’s refuse to play this game and the ones playing start leaving and going back to other MMOs. I am staying, but as I read such few updates from Anet, it makes me wary about even attempting to play this game.

Tarnished Coast
[FUNK] Squad

Cyrus.8261

few days ago i got 3 email authentications saying that someone from japan tried to access my account wtf

You only get that email after you successfully log in to the client, so someone already has your password! Change it immediately!

Posted by: Poxy Violence.3782

Poxy Violence.3782

So here is what happened to me just about 3 hours ago. First, I have an email and password dedicated to GW2 and nothing else. I also have the mobile authenticator enabled. I am 100% sure there are no trojons, or keyloggers on my computer. I logged on this evening and was put into a Lions Arch overflow server. I was standing at the bank when I was asked to ping my Twilight in /say, which I did. About 1 minute later I was disconnected to the character select screen, I jumped back in the game and was disconnected almost instantly. Jumped back on, disconnected again but this time a message popped up saying something along the lines of the account being used from another location. I immediately went to the account management page and tried to access my account but of course my password had been changed. I was able to reset it to a totally never before used password and log back on. In a period of maybe 3 minutes the hacker had got all my gold, t6 mats, and a good bit of my other mats. Of course when I logged back on I imagine the hacker got kicked to the character select screen and so we battled for control back and forth for a few minutes. Here is the strange part tho, once I stopped getting kicked I went to log into account management only to discover my password was changed again! Within maybe 8 minutes of me setting it to a totally unique password the hacker had changed it! This time I was unable to reset it and created a support ticket. Support was able to help me get control of the account again but I’m not at all sure that it will stay that way considering how quickly and easily it was hacked in the first place.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

These threads are making my friend’s refuse to play this game and the ones playing start leaving and going back to other MMOs. I am staying, but as I read such few updates from Anet, it makes me wary about even attempting to play this game.

Same here. Not playing until things have become safer. I am waiting for account recovery to be implemented. Cause from the sounds of things, it seems that there is a breach in security. How else do you explain it?

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Lyenyo.2891

Lyenyo.2891

Just thought I’d add my two-cents that I too have been gaming online for 10 years without being hacked, until I started playing GW2. My account was compromised and I lost everything, I did a full security scan of my PC which revealed nothing. At the time I was not using the mobile authentication but I have never had any trouble in the past by using just email authenticating.

I do have one idea of how this came to be, but it’s rather a coincidence then hard evidence:

On the 4/11/12 I tried to access GW2 Guru but google blocked the site saying that it had come under malaware attack, at the same time I was not playing GW2 that week but when I came back my account of cleaned out and had an email in my inbox saying someone from China logged into my account on the 4/11/12 (same time GW2 Guru was attacked) also, every email from ArenaNet was deleted including the serial key email. Thankfully Hotmail was able to restore deleted ‘deleted’ emails so I was able to make a full recovery.

Password time, ok so my password for GW2 Guru was a variation of my email password (different numbers/capital letters) so I can assume that one possibility was the hackers brute force hacked my email. Although GW2 Guru ‘claim’ that the ‘attack’ on the 4/11/12 didn’t compromise their databases, I still think it’s too big of a coincidence.

My password for GW2 was again, a variation of my email password (different numbers/capital letters) but I don’t have anything to suggest GW2 databases were compromised, but then again I could be wrong. Before you reply saying that using variation passwords are a bad idea, I can see your point but the fact is that I have had ZERO trouble in the past 10 years of doing so, my email being compromised was a clear leak of someone’s database.

Bibi.6817

So here is what happened to me just about 3 hours ago. First, I have an email and password dedicated to GW2 and nothing else. I also have the mobile authenticator enabled. I am 100% sure there are no trojons, or keyloggers on my computer. I logged on this evening and was put into a Lions Arch overflow server. I was standing at the bank when I was asked to ping my Twilight in /say, which I did. About 1 minute later I was disconnected to the character select screen, I jumped back in the game and was disconnected almost instantly. Jumped back on, disconnected again but this time a message popped up saying something along the lines of the account being used from another location. I immediately went to the account management page and tried to access my account but of course my password had been changed. I was able to reset it to a totally never before used password and log back on. In a period of maybe 3 minutes the hacker had got all my gold, t6 mats, and a good bit of my other mats. Of course when I logged back on I imagine the hacker got kicked to the character select screen and so we battled for control back and forth for a few minutes. Here is the strange part tho, once I stopped getting kicked I went to log into account management only to discover my password was changed again! Within maybe 8 minutes of me setting it to a totally unique password the hacker had changed it! This time I was unable to reset it and created a support ticket. Support was able to help me get control of the account again but I’m not at all sure that it will stay that way considering how quickly and easily it was hacked in the first place.

Sorry to hear this, did the hacker delete your Twilight as well as everything else?

Seems i had the strange hack of someone just deleting all my characters, not just my gear, i couldnt care less about the gear (other than my legendary) but my characters…

Still waiting to hear from support on my issues, hopefully today when they wake up i will hear weather they can reinstate my characters.

I find it hard to believe that they cant replace items that have been lost, this isn’t an indy company and I’m sure as hell they have logs i just don’t think they want to admit that they have some serious security issues and want to keep it under wraps.
(although to be honest, this isn’t a subscription game, so they don’t really loose anything if people quit because they lost some pixels)

[CIR] Bibi Waffles
80 Mesmer

Posted by: Toothy.8640

Toothy.8640

Most of the people who have been hacked in this thread have had it done via support tickets. If they kept changing your password like that, it sounds like your computer has been infected with a keylogger. However, it doesn’t make sense if you’re positive you had the mobile authenticator enabled, unless they used said keylogger as a proxy somehow, which would fit in with one of the posts above who said he had mobile authentication enabled and lived alone and yet his account was hacked without any other IPs accessing it.

BSMO.4560

Most of the people who have been hacked in this thread have had it done via support tickets. If they kept changing your password like that, it sounds like your computer has been infected with a keylogger. However, it doesn’t make sense if you’re positive you had the mobile authenticator enabled, unless they used said keylogger as a proxy somehow, which would fit in with one of the posts above who said he had mobile authentication enabled and lived alone and yet his account was hacked without any other IPs accessing it.

I don’t think his pc was infected but even with full protection he got hacked !!
Why ?? The response is simple : someone can have acces to arena net ‘s database, the hacker only need to pick up wealthy people then he’ll receiving information to log into the target’s account and stole everything.

As me, Proxy Violence was in Lion arch overflow ’s server and said something on channel then be hacked !!!

There ’s obviously a failure so be carefull !! Until Arena net give us an answer players should avoid Lion Arc and WvW as much as they can, especially wealthy ones.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Yeah, at this point it definitely looks like the hacker has some kind of way around ANet security. It might not be serverside, which would be how we get the security team saying everything’s fine when it’s clearly not.

The game client has to get information about other players who are nearby, and a hacker could get information through that, which might let them spoof everything including another player’s IP.

I don’t know how leaky the client is, but maybe ANet’s security team should take a look at their client and the data sent between client and server to see how someone could eavesdrop or escalate privileges to get data they shouldn’t.

EDIT: Or maybe the mobile authenticator is the problem? That would make sense if everyone who’s been hacked uses it. It’s actually harder to secure a phone than a PC if you’re basically tech savvy. Phones hide a lot of complexity from users, but that also means it’s hard to tell if your phone has a logger or stop them once you know. If the phone has a logger or the authenticator is even a bit leaky then hackers can use that.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

Anet need to step up and implement Email and Password change confirmation emails.

Tough crap for the old players who have issues if the email is gone, That’s what support is for.

They could also use gem store purchases as a verification via the paypal transaction id or credit card last 4 numbers.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

My concern’s atm are:

Why does the “your email has been changed” email not have a confirmation link etc?
Why was the hacker able to login to one of my characters and access my bank while I was also logged in on a different character?

Shame I can’t get mobile auth due to my phone type, but some of the players hacked are using mobile authenticator anyway. Once they change your email they can login and disable it I believe?

So the root of the problem is how are they changing the email to begin with.

Because confirmation link was sent to new e-mail address. Whoever thought it was a good idea should be fired on spot.

Agreed- I just got hacked and lost EVERYTHING except the armor I was wearing. They even deleted all my email :*(

All the correspondence from AN has been on my email address that was hacked- AND they requested my serial number- so it’s right there to see in my email responses. I changed my email password, but if it gets hacked again- they will have the whole conversation, numbers and all.

I don’t care- I don’t want to play anymore
I was just starting to really have fun and it was almost everything I’d been waiting for (I’ve been waiting for something that would take me back to my EQ days)

And now this. I’m done.

As I’ve mentioned, we really can’t be held responsible for an email hack, as much as we sympathize with the situation. If you are sure your system is clear of keyloggers and Trojans, I recommend that you create a new email account and contact Support through that account, explain what has happened, and work with them to establish that you are the account owner. There is a challenge here, I cannot deny it, when two people are able to provide the serial codes, but we have a lot of experienced agents who will work very hard to get this reset for the proper owner.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I don’t think his pc was infected but even with full protection he got hacked !!
Why ?? The response is simple : someone can have acces to arena net ‘s database, the hacker only need to pick up wealthy people then he’ll receiving information to log into the target’s account and stole everything.

As me, Proxy Violence was in Lion arch overflow ’s server and said something on channel then be hacked !!!

There ’s obviously a failure so be carefull !! Until Arena net give us an answer players should avoid Lion Arc and WvW as much as they can, especially wealthy ones.

Stop and think: If the database had been hacked, hundreds of thousands of accounts would have been stolen. That is not what happened. Flat out not what happened. The situation has nothing to do with Lion’s Arch, or World-versus-World, or anything of that sort. These are individual cases, and we will work to help the account owners back onto their accounts.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet