How do you know if it is an OOM crash?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Lankmaster.6507

Lankmaster.6507

I’ve been experiencing crashes while in the HoT maps (running the 32-bit client) and have read all of the posts I could find on it, and know all about the 64-bit client beta, etc.

My question is simply this: how do I know that the crashes I am seeing are indeed OOM crashes, and not attributed to a different reason?

The crashes I see, are usually during meta events and the game crashes (closes) and I’m back at my desktop with a dialogue box from GW2 telling me the game crashed and to submit information about what I was doing at the time of the crash. Does this box have an option to show you why it crashed (details)? Or is there some other way to see why?

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light onto this :-)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The crash dialog has a button to show the log. Alternatively, you can open the log file, which will contain all your crashes: %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\ArenaNet.log

You’ll known if it’s an OOM crash because it’ll say so.

Lankmaster.6507

OK thanks Healix

Lankmaster.6507

And upon reviewing them, yes, all of them were OOM crashes. Followup question:

I was under the impression that these crashes happened when you approach 4 GB (or in actuality between 3-4 GB) of RAM usage on the 32-bit client.

In my crash logs, I have the following values listed:

OOM: Heap, bytes=2097200

OOM: Heap, bytes=40759364

OOM: Heap, bytes=5739892

OOM: Heap, bytes=8389088

Why so different from each other? And why are 2 of them so much greater than 4 GB?

Lankmaster.6507

Additional info: I am running 64-bit Windows 10, normal 32-bit GW2 client, and have 16 GB RAM installed

Healix.5819

Memory is allocated much like tetris. Data is stored in the first available spot that is capable of holding it. After a time, holes can appear which can’t fit the size of any new data being stored. Even if there is a lot of memory remaining, there may not be any large enough chunks available, which will lead to an OOM crash.

The memory usage is located a little lower in the log, under process memory. The crash header is the bytes it was trying to allocate.

You should be using the 64-bit client. You simply need to download Gw2-64.exe, rename it to Gw2.exe and overwrite your old one. In rare cases, it will delete and re-download Gw2.dat.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Memory is allocated much like tetris. Data is stored in the first available spot that is capable of holding it. After a time, holes can appear which can’t fit the size of any new data being stored. Even if there is a lot of memory remaining, there may not be any large enough chunks available, which will lead to an OOM crash.

The memory usage is located a little lower in the log, under process memory. The crash header is the bytes it was trying to allocate.

You should be using the 64-bit client. You simply need to download Gw2-64.exe, rename it to Gw2.exe and overwrite your old one. In rare cases, it will delete and re-download Gw2.dat.

You don’t even need to rename it, or delete your old client. Just drop the 64 bit client into your GW2 folder and make a shortcut to it. Then run that shortcut.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Healix.5819

You don’t even need to rename it, or delete your old client. Just drop the 64 bit client into your GW2 folder and make a shortcut to it. Then run that shortcut.

Renaming it is simply easier. No need to update any shortcuts, especially if you have GW2 actually installed and want to update that. It also prevents a few potential problems due to programs relying on the name Gw2.exe. GW2 itself also saves your graphical settings in a file named after the executable.

Rename the old one to Gw2-32.exe as a backup.