How do you uninstall OSX client?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: KnightBaron.9741

KnightBaron.9741

Hi folks,

Before installing anything, it is my habit to make sure that there is a way to cleanly uninstall it later if needed. I just bought Guild Wars 2 and it seem that the OS X client isn’t install like the usual OS X app? (Drag the app to /Application) Instead, it comes with an installer. So, how do I uninstall the game later? Does the game provides uninstallation script after you install it?

Thank you in advance. :-)

Posted by: Kioshi.6597

Kioshi.6597

Does not really answer your question but I always use the app “Appcleaner” to remove such apps that need installing. (I’ve also searched quickly but couldn’t find a un-instalation)

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

You uninstall the game like every other app too, drag the file into the trash. If you insist, you can also delete the GW2 folder in your user libraries application support folder the same way. Those two folders contain everything the game puts on your system.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

As Naqaj says, all you have to do is drag the .app into the bin and empty it. Then if you want to get rid of every trace you remove the Guild Wars 2 folder from Application Support in your user Library.

Posted by: chronic.9403

chronic.9403

That is a good habit. When you download a program, you authorize it to make changes by typing in your administrator password. Some crapware out there will use these permissions to infiltrate every browser and make changes. Like installing an extension that changes your default search engine to yahoo (bitorrent does this), and your default search engine wont go away until all traces of the app do (including deleting the extension it installed).

However most apps like guild wars uninstall cleanly. I don’t recommend the use of 3rd party software to do it. Once you delete the major game files, the stuff left over in your libraries is maybe several megabytes of data. So insignificantly small that it is probably more convenient to leave it if you ever decide to reinstall guild wars

Posted by: Pookii.4583

Pookii.4583

This thread begs the real question. I’ve had problems with the program on one machine since the last update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it didn’t solve the downloading problem. I uninstalled again and went into regedit to see if it really did a clean uninstall and there were still gw2 registry entries I’m not guru enough to grok. Does anyone know how to actually strip the system so I can start again? Right now I’m reduced to playing on my laptop. :*( Not optimal!