How to record with good FPS?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Q:

Hi, I want to start recording POV videos in WvW, but when I tried last night to record, my FPS dropped to like 2, making playing the game pretty much impossible.

I play on a 2011 MacBook Pro and I was just using their screen capture from quicktime since I’m cheap. The only other applications that were open were quicktime and TS. My graphics were toned pretty much all the way down with every setting at low.

If anyone has any advice on how to elminate the FPS drop so I can both record and do WvW, I’d be extremely grateful to hear it!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

The Mac version is a Wine bottle and thus runs several times slower than the native PC version by comparison, so I doubt you can record smoothly on it.

I’m suprised WvW is even playable (its not in Linux, which has the same setup).

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Buy a desktop and have two harddrives. One for storing streaming data. Another HDD for loading the game. Consider using windows because vendors have better support for software

There is no magic to streaming. Buy better hardware

nearlight.3064

Oh well this is depressing. I’m a poor college student so I can’t justify buying a desktop at this time. It sucks since making videos was a major “endgame” goal and hobby I wanted to take up.

And yeah WvW is perfectly playable on my laptop with only minor lag issues if you put the graphics settings on low.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

There are a few things that drop FPS that can make it difficult recording on a laptop.

1. The hard drive. It’s often better to record on fast hard drives that are separate from the one you’re running the game on. You won’t be able to fit a separate hard drive in there and I have no clue if USB externals can keep up.

2. The graphics card, CPU and RAM. Laptops usually essentially have the “lite” versions of most of their components, and they share resources more than their desktop counterparts. So you can suffer more of a compounding FPS drop when stressing any one of those parts.

If you can bootcamp into Windows, you can try MSI Afterburner. That usually does pretty well, but I can’t make any promises. Especially since I wouldn’t be too surprised if the QT one was already pretty decent.

You can also try lowering your resolution ingame, and lowering the res at the video records as well. Experiment with different recording settings.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

loseridoit.2756

Oh well this is depressing. I’m a poor college student so I can’t justify buying a desktop at this time. It sucks since making videos was a major “endgame” goal and hobby I wanted to take up.

And yeah WvW is perfectly playable on my laptop with only minor lag issues if you put the graphics settings on low.

your laptop is old…..

I would had recommended some software to see if it helps a bit but you dont have the correct hardware.

Most newer graphic cards have a dedicated h264 encoder. I believe AMD GCN architecture and newer nvidia cards.

Of course, you will still have a bandwidth problem. You still need to store the data somewhere

nearlight.3064

I see, so maybe a USB to store the videos could help?

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

loseridoit.2756

I see, so maybe a USB to store the videos could help?

you still have to buy better hardware. I dont think you have AMD VCE

Assuming you have the 15", your gpu is still way to old to have this tech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Codec_Engine

loseridoit.2756

op, if you want to really try I guess try obs and get quick sync ( intel encoding solution) working with the iGPU and lower the resolution and quality. It is better to use windows I guess

https://obsproject.com/