I can't open the client...

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: I Love Root Beer.1872

I Love Root Beer.1872

I wasn’t sure whether this was a tech support thing or account based but I just tried logging in today and it said something about another copy was open, but nothing Guild Wars related was open prior or during me attempting to open the game client. I tried to repair it, but there’s a certain step I can’t get past where you add “-repair” to the end of the target line, it won’t let me edit that at all. As soon as someone can give me further assistance on this I’d be grateful because I’d like to log in again asap.

whoop d` friggin do.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

This happened to another player a few days ago. For him, it was simply a matter of doing a complete restart on the computer. (And to tell the truth, I did that a few days ago at the office.) I don’t think this is a major issue, and could you kindly try that as the first step in looking into this issue? Please post back with the outcome.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

I Love Root Beer.1872

I’ll try that, thanks. that was a quick reply!

whoop d` friggin do.

I Love Root Beer.1872

Dude, thank you so very much! I admit I’ve never had this kind of service from a developer in any game I’ve played. I give you a 10 star rating for how responsive you were. Hope to see one of you guys in game! Thanks again!

whoop d` friggin do.

I Love Root Beer.1872

I have to download around 228,000 files though is this normal?

whoop d` friggin do.

Posted by: Ethros.1453

Ethros.1453

I have to download around 228,000 files though is this normal?

I am not sure how that system would work when going into specifics. The command line “-repair” that you added after the exe, was this removed before trying it again? Was the folder moved to a different location? If it was not moved and you had removed the -repair line, than it might be possible that it is finishing that form when you tried earlier. As in, it had gotten stuck at that point and is completing the process now.

~Mr. Illuminati
Inspiration is only as good as it’s interpreter

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

This happened to another player a few days ago. For him, it was simply a matter of doing a complete restart on the computer. (And to tell the truth, I did that a few days ago at the office.) I don’t think this is a major issue, and could you kindly try that as the first step in looking into this issue? Please post back with the outcome.

Thanks.

What’s likely occurring here is a problem that players have been trying to get the developer’s to acknowledge since the Flame & Frost prelude patch was introduced.

Since that big patch, GW2 often fails to close down properly. When you normally exit the game the patcher/login window pops up on your desktop, and you can either re-enter your login credentials and re-enter the game, or just close down the launcher to continue your shut down of GW2. However (since the patch), what is often happening is that the main client fails to properly shut down, which then prevents the launcher window from popping up after returning to desktop. So, when you attempt to run GW2 again using (example) your GW2 shortcut icon, the game will insist the client is already running even though there are no obvious signs of that anywhere.

You should always see the launcher pop up after exiting the game and returning to desktop. If you don’t, then the main client has failed to shut down properly. You can verify it’s still running by going to your task manager and seeing that there are two “GW2.exe” entries instead of one (one is the main client, one is the patcher waiting its turn to display), with one of them (the main client) using nearly a gig of memory. If you kill that particular task the launcher will immediately pop up on your desktop and you can then close it as normal (at which point everything will be properly shut down).

I (and other players as well, from the complaints I’ve read) have never had this particular problem prior to the last big patch, but now I’m running into it more often than not whenever I attempt to exit the game. If you’re not paying attention when you exit the game (and not one of those people who reboots often) you can have a GW2 task chewing up nearly a gig of your memory while you continue to do your everyday business outside of the game, without any obvious sign that GW2 is still running. And you will not be able to re-enter the game (because the launcher will never load) unless you reboot or kill the GW2 executable through the task manager.

(edited by Edge.4180)

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Why thank you, I Love Root Beer, that’s very kind… even if I’m not a dude.

Edge, you’ve presented information about which I was unaware. I spend my forum time here, in the Account Support Forum, and therefore have not been aware of a reported issue. I am writing this late at night, having served Jury Duty today (and perhaps for a few days to come) but I will send an email tonight to ask the team to route this to the appropriate parties. Thanks for providing those details.

Update: Email sent.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

@edge
There are 2 way to get out of the game.
1. “logging out” – this way the launcher will pop up again.
2. “exit” – this way you are out of the game for sure and the launcher will NOT pop up again.

PS I have to add now, that I found out GW2 was secretly running on my system without a window. I had finished it without restarting the PC. So there really might be a problem of turning off GW2 completely.

PS2 I checked it today again. It’s true. The game client GW2.EXE is not closing after you ordered him to exit the game. The launcher is not returning, but the game client stays.
This must be relatively new, because it never happened to me before.

(edited by Michael.4791)

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

As Edge said this is a problem since the introduction of the Flame and Frost patch.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

As Edge said this is a problem since the introduction of the Flame and Frost patch.

That is why I have admitted my failure in judgement.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Why thank you, I Love Root Beer, that’s very kind… even if I’m not a dude.

Edge, you’ve presented information about which I was unaware. I spend my forum time here, in the Account Support Forum, and therefore have not been aware of a reported issue. I am writing this late at night, having served Jury Duty today (and perhaps for a few days to come) but I will send an email tonight to ask the team to route this to the appropriate parties. Thanks for providing those details.

Update: Email sent.

Thanks for forwarding it!

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

If it happens again and you are comfortable doing so, just open up task manager and look for any running GW2.exe instances. End those processes before starting the game up again and all should be well for this particular issue.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

I Love Root Beer.1872

Thanks all, I’ve fixed that problem about the 2,000 some files. The same thing about restarting my computer happened again, good luck Gaile, but I do agree that Edge may be right about the issue. Again, thanks for being so responsive. Keep up the great work!

whoop d` friggin do.

I Love Root Beer.1872

Completely fixed by the way.

whoop d` friggin do.

Previous

Gaile Gray