I'm about to updade ram... so?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: runawaydevil.4237

runawaydevil.4237

There is difference in macbook pro early 2011 with 4gb ram ddr3 to 8gb? I mean in the graphic + speed?

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Not really. 4GB is already more than GW2 uses.

Good point by Tick Tock. I did not consider the difference for integrated graphics. It should not be noticable with a dedicated graphics card though, don’t they have seperate memory? And you don’t use both chips at once.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

Posted by: Tick Tock.9602

Tick Tock.9602

Not true, bumping from 4GB to 8GB will cause the Intel video chip to boost from 384MB of shared VRAM to 512MB of shared VRAM and though this may not directly affect GW2 as he probably has a dedicated video card as well it WILL increase graphics speed.

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

I just did a similar upgrade since memory has become so cheap (bought the 8GB upgrade for $40), but haven’t seen ANY improvement really. I have to open a LOT of programs to make it use more than 4GB. I never use the integrated graphics since I nearly always have Firefox open and unless you tell it not to use video acceleration, it will, and that makes it use the nVidia graphics. Pretty much the only thing I’ve noticed since adding the memory is that it takes longer to reboot (I assume because it’s testing more memory)

Posted by: runawaydevil.4237

runawaydevil.4237

Guys… play GW2 in windows (bootcamp) has a considerable difference…. Im veryyy happy

Posted by: Rie.6789

Rie.6789

Bootcamp definitely gives you better graphics. But if you’re willing to deal with less graphics, the Mac client functions. I do use Bootcamp if I have lots of time where I don’t need to do anything else, but I use the Mac client if I don’t want to make that sort of time commitment. Which is fairly often.

Posted by: Ceribis.8104

Ceribis.8104

I don’t know if GW2 will have better performance necessarily because of the Cider wrapper, but the extra RAM will be wonderful for your system in general. When I upgraded my work laptop from 4GB to 8GB there was a noticeable difference in its performance. If you’re not regularly closing absolutely everything before start GW2 you’ll probably notice some difference after the RAM upgrade.

Keeghan – Sylvari Mesmer – Jade Quarry

Tick Tock.9602

There should be a boost in performance, you can go into the config file and tweak it for the newly available VRAM.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Mac-Beta-Client-Config-Tweaks-Files/first#post1235917

Posted by: Briix.6872

Briix.6872

I recently upgraded to 16gb (really only needed 8gb, but got a good offer) and I can’t say that the bump to 512mb VRAM has made any noticeable change in performance

Maldeor (thief).

Tick Tock.9602

I recently upgraded to 16gb (really only needed 8gb, but got a good offer) and I can’t say that the bump to 512mb VRAM has made any noticeable change in performance

Did you tweak the config file as indicated in the thread posted above?