I want to disable Email Authentication. How?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Akavirian.4261

Akavirian.4261

Q:

(Tried to find out how to sort this with the power of Google, with no luck. Perhaps I’m not a great google’r, whatever.)

First of all let me say that this just started happening a few days ago when the launcher wouldn’t let me play, forcing me to Authenticate my email address.

I’ve been “blessed” with a dynamic IP and as a result I am pestered with this annoying feature everytime I want to log in and play. I really don’t want to have to log into my email account everytime I fire the game up. It’s putting me off.

So anyone know how I can sort this?

Please don’t tell me you can’t. Please?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A:

So anyone know how I can sort this?

Please don’t tell me you can’t. Please?

Oh you definitely can disable email authentication, with the help of Support. Contact the team by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Blake.3609

Blake.3609

I am having the same problem, its so annoying i would really like them to fix this !

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

Just be aware, you lose a main security feature on your account if you disable it.

Posted by: Desamos.1836

Desamos.1836

I’ve had about 10 emails, warning me about people trying to log into my account from different parts of the word. I changed my password, so I have not been prompted recently, but I’d say you’re better off being safe than sorry.

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Same here, I’m at university and (despite checking the “remember this network button”) I’ve started having to get email authentication EVERY time I log in for the last ~week. I’d like to either get the network remembering working properly or shut off the whole system >.>

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Kurrick.3847

Kurrick.3847

I read in the forums here somewhere that using the email authenticator is one of the ways that hackers had / have been getting control of accounts. Is this true?

Also I have been having the same issue but is you hit Cancel it will let you play with out running the Authenticator. I have been doing that ever time Log in since the last game update…

Is it safe to run the email Authenticator is my main question here.
I was one of those that was hacked and lost control of there account… took 8 days for me to get it back and for my game to be turned on again after that hacker had broken the eula agreement. I dont want to go through that again.

Posted by: Pain BEU.3721

Pain BEU.3721

Its a blessing to have that feature imo, if you get your account hacked like me you will see.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

The authenticator keeps forgetting that I’ve authorized my computer. I only use two, one at work that I don’t even log onto the game just the forum. I only play the game with my home PC but the authenticator keeps forcing me to confirm even though the IP address is not changing.

I don’t mind authorizing a PC but do we have to do every single time we want to play the game? That will make me disable it if that’s the case.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Legend.9421

Legend.9421

I have the same problem, every time i log for the same pc i get a mail, this is really annoying.

Posted by: AdelaisAer.4109

AdelaisAer.4109

I have dynamic IP, too. It changes every so often; last time was 24th. :/ Any way to change dynamic to static? I used to know this but I forget now…

EDIT: Found out how to do this. You just need to set a static IP yourself in IPv4 settings. Just google Dynamic To Static IP Win7 and you’ll get all the details. It’s really simple.

One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambience and nurturing.

(edited by AdelaisAer.4109)

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

I have dynamic IP, too. It changes every so often; last time was 24th. :/ Any way to change dynamic to static? I used to know this but I forget now…

EDIT: Found out how to do this. You just need to set a static IP yourself in IPv4 settings. Just google Dynamic To Static IP Win7 and you’ll get all the details. It’s really simple.

Your private IP address has nothing to do with this; it uses your public address and authorises the network, not just the IP, so unless your dynamic IP is changing networks (happens on rare occasion when ISP is reconfiguring), you shouldn’t get pestered every IP change.

If, after all that, the mechanism is still failing, check to see if Anet is reading your subnet properly (I don’t have any of my mails, so I don’t know if it mentions the subnet mask or network range).

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I read in the forums here somewhere that using the email authenticator is one of the ways that hackers had / have been getting control of accounts. Is this true?

No this is not true.

I’ve had about 10 emails, warning me about people trying to log into my account from different parts of the word. I changed my password, so I have not been prompted recently, but I’d say you’re better off being safe than sorry.

And I’d say you’re right.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

The first week the game was live I got a message that someone from abu dhabi tried to log on to my account. I also changed my password on the spot. I would hate to think what could have happened if I had not had the authentication enabled. There was a bug or something last week where it was asking me to verify every time I logged on, but it stopped, and it was a small price to pay to know my account is safe. I would even love to see it taken a step further and have a text message sent to my cell phone when an unknown login is attempted.
You have to remember, if you get the message of a login from a strange location, it means they already have both your login and password. Without authentication, your account is in the hands of someone else, your money and materials are probobly gone, your guild my be destroyed, toons deleted, etc. If you have authentication enabled and they get your login and password, you change your password, and continue to play.