Inappropriate Language and Harassment

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Desova.5821

Desova.5821

Q:

I have a quick question for any moderator or other player who happens to know the answer to this: Today, I was approached by a certain player who was asking for gold. He/she was pretty persistent, so after being followed around in-game, I gave them a bit of silver just to get rid of them. They continued to talk with me via direct message, in which they asked for my real name (which I did not give an answer to, obviously) and then said something extremely offensive in highly inappropriate language, which I don’t feel the need to state here. I tried my best to stay pleasant with the person throughout this unpleasant exchange, for fear of being falsely reported, as I have already been banned once on a false charge that I had to contest and do not wish to go through that process again.

Needless to say, I reported and blocked them in-game, but should I submit a ticket through the support section in addition to this? Also, I am concerned that I will be banned if the chat logs are not read carefully. I have proof that I am not the offender through screenshots of the conversation.

Please feel free to move this topic if it’s not in the right section. Thanks in advance.

tasija trickshot | [LZZ] les zélateurs de zaun | arborstone

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A:

If you reported them in the game, that should take care of it. If you’d like to provide a more in-depth report, please contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. Time, date, character name(s), will help with that report.

And we review the chat carefully and unless you were “egging someone on” with inappropriate chat on your side, or unless you lost your temper and engaged in offensive chat yourself, it should sort out just fine.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

Anet don’t like harassment, so they will act if they have prove of it. Reporting such people is the right thing to do. Those have to be removed from the game in order to protect other players.
Don’t forget, there are kids who play here too. We have to do our best to protect them from such crowds.

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

One of the strongest features of this game is enforcement of the ToS. Regardless of everything else in the game, witnessing actual enforcement of standards is priceless. I hope it never changes. For those of us who were middle-aged when the whole MMO genre became popular, this game is like a civilized breath of fresh air.

Posted by: Desova.5821

Desova.5821

Thanks Gaile, Michael and LeCreaux. Gaile, I did nothing to retaliate and did not “egg the person on”, so I suppose things should sort themselves out.

tasija trickshot | [LZZ] les zélateurs de zaun | arborstone

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Yes, that’s great, Desova. The team will be able to review and resolve as appropriate. Thanks!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet