Inappropriate name

Inappropriate name

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: wizzy.6871

wizzy.6871

Hello, this is not some game breaking problem, but I would like to ask about character name.

When I was creating my Ranger, I wanted to gave her name “Lulambinka” but I wasn’t permitted to do so, since the name “contains words or partial words that are not permitted

The problem is somewhere in the second L since I was permitted to create character “Luambinka”

I was thinking about buying Name Change Contract, but I suspect it won’t let me rename to that name either.

I don’t understand where is problem with that name since I’m using it in Lineage II, World of Warcraft, Diablo III and Runes of Magic and never had a problem with it.

I don’t want to beg for ability to rename or anything just want to shed some light on the problem with that name.

Thanks for answer

Your truly
Lulambinka

Inappropriate name

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hello, this is not some game breaking problem, but I would like to ask about character name.

When I was creating my Ranger, I wanted to gave her name “Lulambinka” but I wasn’t permitted to do so, since the name “contains words or partial words that are not permitted

The problem is somewhere in the second L since I was permitted to create character “Luambinka”

I was thinking about buying Name Change Contract, but I suspect it won’t let me rename to that name either.

I don’t understand where is problem with that name since I’m using it in Lineage II, World of Warcraft, Diablo III and Runes of Magic and never had a problem with it.

I don’t want to beg for ability to rename or anything just want to shed some light on the problem with that name.

Thanks for answer

Your truly
Lulambinka

Long ago, we had a player who wanted to use a name with the letters “Lul” in it, and he/she was blocked from doing so. I honestly cannot remember if that player ever succeeded in using the name — I believe so but I’m not certain because it’s been months since we talked together about it.

I know there’s a tiny bug in the Name and Word Filter that impacts a few (thankfully few) names. I believe the one you are trying to make may be hitting that bug. I would suggest you not purchase a Rename Contract because if the name is blocked upon creation, it probably also will be blocked as a rename, and I hate for you to waste your money.

At the present time, we’re working on improving the filter, mostly adding a bunch of new words and letter combinations that we’ve discovered through unfortunate choices made by players. However, you’re not attempting to use a bad name and we know that! I’m sorry that you’re caught in this, and if there’s more info in the future, I’ll try to dig up this thread and let you know of any changes.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Inappropriate name

Posted by: wizzy.6871

wizzy.6871

Thanks for quick reply Gaile.

I’m glad that my would like to be name isn’t offensive since I completely made it up

I’ll keep my current character name since it is not some big problem for me, I just like to keep few names in all games to remember my chars

Inappropriate name

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

“Lul” is a Dutch term for a certain male body part. I wish they would adjust the restrictions on it though so that it can be used in names if it is not a standalone word. Blocking names like “Lullaby” and “Lulu” doesn’t make much sense.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Inappropriate name

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Thanks for quick reply Gaile.

I’m glad that my would like to be name isn’t offensive since I completely made it up

I’ll keep my current character name since it is not some big problem for me, I just like to keep few names in all games to remember my chars

Yep, yep, it’s absolutely ok! I’ll keep trying on this one, but there’s some insight below. Still, as we all can see, what we block as a word should not necessarily be blocked as a letter combination within a word or name.

“Lul” is a Dutch term for a certain male body part. I wish they would adjust the restrictions on it though so that it can be used in names if it is not a standalone word. Blocking names like “Lullaby” and “Lulu” doesn’t make much sense.

Thank you for the reminder — that was the problem And yes, the filter should be adjusted, and I’ve tried to make those changes a few times. We’ll take another look at try again the next time we expand and update the lists. Thanks for the helpful info.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet