Is Dx9 the problem?

Is Dx9 the problem?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: livestrongbp.9654

livestrongbp.9654

I have 16gbs 1866mhz cl9 Corsair ram, i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz 1.225 core voltage, MSI GTX 970 1350mhz core clock 7.5ghz memory clock, and a Samsung 840 512gb SSD. And still struggles to keep 60 fps in the new expansion Heart of Thorns. Even with Nvidia’s Geforce Experience settings. I just don’t get it. (YES using 64-bit client mentioned below)

Temp for CPU 35-40C under full load (Seidon 240m), 970 never gets hotter than 55C. So no thermal throttling. I just don’t know anyone that has multiple setups to run it on to get an answer. GW2 isn’t even that graphically intense! Could it be solely because it’s a Dx9 game? I thought upgrading and spending $700 from my GTX 660 SC and Fx-8350 w/ only 8gb 1866 ram and normal hard drive would fix it. I still drop to 25fps avg at Maw, which is a strange event because around when the boss gets 50% health my fps rises every time guaranteed to 35-40fps until boss is over. I just don’t get it. The game isn’t even maxing out or stressing my system!

Cores I made sure are manually unparked, have priority of GW2.exe set to High and Affiniy set to 0-7(8 cores “4 physical and 4 virtual” just in case you read this and didn’t know). I am only running at 1080p as well. It would be awesome if I could get some dev feed back or find out if it is more server load lag than my computer. I can run around 95% of maps in game and be 60fps all day but if there are more than 10-15 players it starts getting grumpy. Also large events even behind walls or mountains that spawn entities make it jerk for a sec but all data shows only slight spike in usage of cpu, and ram like less than 2% increase for maybe half a second.

GW2 is the only game I can’t get constant fps at high-max settings. I really just hope it’s dx9 and poor multicore utilization. Yes this is with the 64-bit Client. Falling into Tarir and other fps dropping events smoothed out a great deal when I switched but there should still be no reason this system can’t handle that, unless the entire map is loaded and its partitioning resources for that but I doubt it. I don’t mean to sound like a snob this is just a legitimate question as to the actual reason even a beast system can’t max out and maintain minimum 60fps in Gw2.

I love this game and have for 9 years now and even if it only played at 20fps I would still play. Just looking for an answer while I’m bored at school waiting for my next class. :P

- Marcix

i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz, MSI GTX970 1400mhz Core 7.5ghz ram, Samsung 840 ssd, Corsair16gb 1866mhz CL9.

Is Dx9 the problem?

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

It’s the game engine, no way of fixing that. It’s how it was designed by the developers. The fps limitation we all experience is due to how heavily reliant the game is on the main cpu thread.

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Is Dx9 the problem?

livestrongbp.9654

It’s the game engine, no way of fixing that. It’s how it was designed by the developers. The fps limitation we all experience is due to how heavily reliant the game is on the main cpu thread.

So poor optimization for multicore systems. Thanks, I had just never seen an actual reason. That still doesn’t explain why all the cutscenes like new Lion’s Arch intro and Mordremoth’s Mouth are maybe 360p….. like what is the point of that. Even an Intel Atom 2600 can replay 1080p @ 30fps through HDMI port, and that’s weaker than anything since what the Core 2 and Athlon x2? Pretty sure no one is able to run gw2 on less than that.

i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz, MSI GTX970 1400mhz Core 7.5ghz ram, Samsung 840 ssd, Corsair16gb 1866mhz CL9.

Is Dx9 the problem?

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Lower the shadows down, and reduce the supersampling rate. You don’t have to go basic, just take it off the highest setting. I find this gives a lot of FPS.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)

Is Dx9 the problem?

livestrongbp.9654

signature check

Is Dx9 the problem?

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

signature check

And? No one here is ignorant to your specifications. We’re all well aware of the limitations of the game,and have tried voicing them to you.

• Supersample off
  • Shadows on high
  • Character limits/quality on Med/high(unless WvW then High/Med)
  • Reflections on Terrain and Sky(or off,reflections are terribly costly for the visual impact due to anets water implementation).
i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Is Dx9 the problem?

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Game didn’t drop to low FPS when I was using either single 760 reference or dual 760 reference SLI. Same CPU as I have now. And now that I use a GTX 980 Ti Lightning GPU, the game still has no FPS issues. It makes me wonder if it is either a driver issue, either with DX9, Visual C++ Redistributable, GPU driver, or something else, or that the RAM and/or video card needs re-seating, or checking via memory testing. The problem is, it’s all a guessing game as to what could be causing the problem. It might even be that the game itself needs to be repaired. Make a shortcut of the EXE and then after the first address in properties, put this after, should look like this, but of course according to your install address: “C:\DATA\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe” -repair

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Is Dx9 the problem?

livestrongbp.9654

Game didn’t drop to low FPS when I was using either single 760 reference or dual 760 reference SLI. Same CPU as I have now. And now that I use a GTX 980 Ti Lightning GPU, the game still has no FPS issues. It makes me wonder if it is either a driver issue, either with DX9, Visual C++ Redistributable, GPU driver, or something else, or that the RAM and/or video card needs re-seating, or checking via memory testing. The problem is, it’s all a guessing game as to what could be causing the problem. It might even be that the game itself needs to be repaired. Make a shortcut of the EXE and then after the first address in properties, put this after, should look like this, but of course according to your install address: “C:\DATA\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe” -repair

See now the only part of my system that is questionable is my power supply, which screams under load. It’s a Corsair GS600. I have gotten memory dump blue screens while running GTA V when it spikes cpu, gpu, and ram all at once. Could I need a better/bigger or more efficient power supply? Would the overclock of everything be needing that much more than stock?

Is Dx9 the problem?

livestrongbp.9654

Also, drivers up to date, C++ fine, Dx9 just reinstalled and same issues, reseated ram and gpu, and made sure cpu water block wasn’t on too tight or mother board shorting. The only thing I haven’t done is BIOS but I get prompted when it needs to.
Also have done the repair several times.

Okay, 600 watt power supply non-80 plus.
Fans: 1×200mm Corsair Fan/ 2×120mm Corsair AF/ 1×120mm Corsair SP
Components: CM Seidon 120m/ 16gbs ram OCd / 4790k OCd / 970 OCd
840 SSD/ 2x WD Barracuda 1 Tb

Seeing it all listed it looks like a load not suited for this on sale $45 power supply.

Is Dx9 the problem?

livestrongbp.9654

signature check

And? No one here is ignorant to your specifications. We’re all well aware of the limitations of the game,and have tried voicing them to you.

• Supersample off
  • Shadows on high
  • Character limits/quality on Med/high(unless WvW then High/Med)
  • Reflections on Terrain and Sky(or off,reflections are terribly costly for the visual impact due to anets water implementation).

Yep Supersample is off doesn’t really do anything.
character limits and quality at med
depth blur off
effect lod on
best texture filter off
high definition player models off
vsync on
Reflections on terrain and sky, haven’t noticed a difference between none and this.
view distance high
shadows are on high but I switch to medium sometimes that does improve fps
I really think it might be the bad power supply I mentioned. I think my system needs a more efficient, stable, power supply.