Is there anything I can do to improve my FPS?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Treadstone.2564

Treadstone.2564

I can’t seem to get above 30 FPS, and sometimes I fall into the teens, which I consider unplayable.

My CPU is a Phenom II X4 945 (3.0 GHz) per core. My GPU is a Radeon HD 7700.

I’ve done the core parking thing, downloaded Razer Game Booster so I can easily kill every unnecessary process running, and put the game on an SSD. It seems like the game isn’t optimized very well for my CPU, because when I put everything on max settings and then change to the minimum settings, I only gain five FPS or so.

Switching to another CPU is not an expense I can justify for the sake of a single game. Everything else runs flawlessly. I bought GW2 last August and I check in every couple of months to see if Arenanet has optimized their game more, but it doesn’t seem like they have. Since switching hardware to compensate for the lack of optimization isn’t an option, are there any sort of tweak programs or config edits that will give me a bit of a boost?

Thanks!

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

Overclock the CPU to about 3.8GHz you will need a decent aftermarket CPU cooler to do it.

Posted by: Treadstone.2564

Treadstone.2564

Can’t overclock CPU on this motherboard, unfortunately.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

When is the last time you cleaned your computer out ? … clogged up coolers can cause performance issues…

I will assume you have all the latest drivers, and firmware (bios) for your board and cards ? in most cases you can check your manufacturers website to check for these things.

lastly (though far fetched) it may be an idea to start the computer with a side open and check if all fans are working. In relation to this you may want to try and find a diagnostic bit of free software (like speedfan f/e) so you can check the temperatures in your system, maybe a set of case fans (front & back) may help keep the temp down.

That’s about all i can come up with, with my limited computer knowledge :P

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA