Issue with Screen Darkening

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: mikeew.8607

mikeew.8607

I have had this happening for probably the existence of me playing this game on a Mac. Am just wondering if anyone has same issue and has found a resolve to it. Basically whats going on is I can open up black lion trade window by pressing either o or talking to npc upon closing both by hitting esc and/or pressing o or clicking the x to close the window the screen gets extremely dark and I have to CMD Tab out and back in to fix it. It is one of the biggest annoyances I have with this game as it has been an issue for so long.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I have never heard of this problem. Can you give more information about what system you are running on (OS, hardware, if you have any kernel extensions installed, etc…)

mikeew.8607

Latest stable build of mavericks its a mid 2012 MBP with 8 gigs of ram and 750 HDD I7 2.9ghz. I think I honestly may have figured out the issue. I am going to continue testing my hypothesis and see but I think its because I had vertical sync enabled. I disabled and will see if it happens again.

Quick Edit: just joined EOTM and opened up black lion trade by pressing o and hitting esc to close did it again. I may try a screen recording to show proof.

Nageth.5648

Just for clarity, that means you’re running 10.9.4?

I wouldn’t be surprised if vertical sync was causing issues.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Is it possibly changing the screen gamma?

Posted by: francis.6205

francis.6205

Actually I’m having the same problem.. I got a Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, GeForce GT750M 2Gb.. Mavericks 10.9.4..
It happens a lot when I go to desktop and comeback to the game.. The way i solve is to move the Gamma bar in options and it stays brighter again. Its pretty annoying.

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

I’ve got the gamma one, get it every time i alt tab, change graphic settings or relog or anything else really.
Gamma slider stays on 1.0 but if you move the slider the gamma goes back to normal

also on a side note, i’m having my favorite dyes resetting, is this a mac thing?

mikeew.8607

It doesn’t seem to be a gamma issue it seems to be something related to the wrapper changing the display brightness which is then only fixed by alt tabbing out and back in for me I have not tried adjusting gamma however but I will attempt that tomorrow and see.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’ve got the gamma one, get it every time i alt tab, change graphic settings or relog or anything else really.
Gamma slider stays on 1.0 but if you move the slider the gamma goes back to normal

also on a side note, i’m having my favorite dyes resetting, is this a mac thing?

Favourite dyes are server side, so it shouldn’t be a mac thing. Maybe file a bug report or support ticket :S

Nageth.5648

Hm, I was doing some searching and found this thread Is that related at all?

mikeew.8607

Seems close to issue however tp loads fine just upon closing tp or even other windows such as inventory it causes screen darkening similar to the post you linked talking about gamma going haywire.

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

Favourite dyes are server side, so it shouldn’t be a mac thing. Maybe file a bug report or support ticket :S

Yeah and it’s not a complete reset, it only resets the favorites to some specific time, my guardian always has 1 favorite for instance. I have submitted a ticket and opened a thread in the bug sub forum, gonna wait for ticket response though if there is any
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Favorite-Dyes-reset-get-erased-when-relogging/first#post4325328
Didn’t post it here because I got the same issue on windows (you never know with mac right? :P )

Hm, I was doing some searching and found this thread Is that related at all?

Well, for me the only thing I can reproduce is changing resolution, it messes with the gamma every time.

opening tp or just pressing options does it sometimes as well but can’t be reproduced properly.
Right now it happened upon starting the game, when I alt tab to write this, it happens as well.

What is interesting is, that when you alt tab, the gamma will stay for a second perhaps, then it changes to darker. if you alt tab back and forth maybe you guys can reproduce this. I don’t know what this means…

mikeew.8607

Ok, so tested the adjusting the gamma when the screen goes dark and it did it put it back to normal. This must be a bug within the wrapper then whereas closing a window reduces gamma but not so on the bar and where in by adjusting the gamma slider reverts it back to where it should be.

Posted by: YOUNGtheslayer.6547

YOUNGtheslayer.6547

I’ve had this issue for a while. The client for whatever reason reverts to the desktop gamma settings within the game. I usually have it happen when I open the TP, but it’s happened other times too. Alternately, a couple of times when the game has crashed I was sent to my desktop with in-game gamma settings running, making the desktop washed out.

The easiest fix is to open your graphics settings and click your gamma up and down once.

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

I have this issue as well.

Whenever the game is minimized, put into window mode, and trading post brought up the gamma drops.

Going into settings and moving the gamma bar just slightly will put the gamma back to normal, even though the bar is in the same spot. I’ve tried turning off App Nap but this hasn’t correct the issue either.

I’ve had this for quite some time.