Just about had it with GW2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Rhaven.8417

Rhaven.8417

I will admit I’m having a ball with GW2 when I can play. It seems to have the best of all the mmo’s I’ve played in the last 15 years.

However…the tedious routine I have to go thru to connect (search for local.dat, delete, reboot machine, connect to GW2) then getting booted within 30-60 mins of play time (and having to go thru the reconnect routine again), is getting tiresome.

Not only do I get booted out of the game for no reason (sometimes just standing in some npc town in a 1-15 area) but my whole internet goes down. I’m reading posts from many many players with the same problems and I don’t see the GW2 folks doing much to fix it.

Thankfully I’m still under the “purchased within 30 days” so I can get a full refund from my CC company. I’d rather not as I’m enjoying this game…but I’m not willing to tolerate owning a game I’m unable to play.

Please Techy folks, fix the game so we can play the way we’re supposed to

Posted by: Shannon.9583

Shannon.9583

If your whole internet is going down, then the problem is not Guild Wars 2, its your internet service.

A game on your PC cannot bring down your network unless its broken.

There are definitely issues with the game, but what you describe is not a game issue.

Posted by: maazzoc.1852

maazzoc.1852

Rhaven are you using wired or wireless networking? as it sounds like someones stealing your bandwidth… and once you play you get kicked from your ISP… so who is ur ISP, are you wireless, have you turned off your SSID beacon? have you protected your network…

Posted by: Lilmatron.9516

Lilmatron.9516

I had a problem with my wireless network before- when a computer upstairs was online, I could not connect; and if I was online, the PC upstairs could not connect. We had someone come and fix the network problem, and it’s been ok since then. Not sure if that’s the issue, but Maazoc’s reply reminded me of that.

Posted by: Rhaven.8417

Rhaven.8417

Cable connection is hard wired. The reason I know it’s GW2 is that not only my computer goes down but my laptop sitting next to me and my mom’s computer on the other side…and it only happens when the game is open. I didn’t play for two days and never a disconnection. I’ve played for 6 hours today and every 30/60 mins it went down…as did everything else…for about 15-30 seconds. As long as I’m off GW2, no problem. Also, I did my research, I’m not the only one with this problem.

So that’s one issue…the other is not being able to log in without deleting the local.dat file each time and rebooting my computer. You can imagine the time wasted when I get kicked so often It’s frustrating…and yes, my computer more than meets the game requirements

All I wanna do is play…is that so hard? lol

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Yeah as insane as it sounds GW2 really does mess up many routers for some reason.
Mine just starts acting wonky instead of a full disconnection but it’s definitely odd.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

Cable connection is hard wired. The reason I know it’s GW2 is that not only my computer goes down but my laptop sitting next to me and my mom’s computer on the other side…and it only happens when the game is open. I didn’t play for two days and never a disconnection. I’ve played for 6 hours today and every 30/60 mins it went down…as did everything else…for about 15-30 seconds.

This sounds like more of a reason for why it’s not GW2 but your cable router.

Did you get it from your ISP? They often bundle the cheapest possible trash that can barely reach half the technology’s theoretical maximum speed and randomly fail when you do something else than browse the web.

The game’s probably just killing the router with too many small packets or something.

Posted by: Kire.9532

Kire.9532

You aren’t alone. I can play about 30 minutes before getting disconnected, and then my entire internet goes down for a few seconds. My router is only about 3 months old. EVERYTHING ELSE I have/play online does just fine… Until I get on this game. I am seeing these problems everywhere on these forums. I should state that I have only had these problems in WvWvW (could have them in PvE but haven’t been around more than 5 folks at a time for a while), and only after the Lost Shores patch. Before that, I was gravy. Smoothe sailing. No disconnection problems whatsoever (maybe 1 in 6 hours of play). I hope they do something about this quick, because I love this game, but not enough to deal with this constantly.

Posted by: Swordbreaker.2581

Swordbreaker.2581

If you guys own your own router, and its not the cable company’s, you should be able to type in the ip address of the router (google search the ip address for your specific model router) and find a log file which will give you some sort of insight at what might be happening when your network drops.

Asrock X79 Extreme4 mobo / I7 3930k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
/ 2x XFX R9 290x in Crossfire

Posted by: supergica.8652

supergica.8652

The OP is right, GW2 is messing with the internet connection somehow, happens to a lot of people, but obviously not everyone. I have 2 locations where i play this game with 2 ISPs (same computer). In one place i’m experiencing the problems the OP is stating, in the other it works just fine. And it is this game’s fault. I also tested with numerous other online games and programs like skype/ts etc and none have any problems, only when playing GW2 these problems occur.

Here are a few other threads on this subject, for the non believers who think the problem lies with the user:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Guild-wars-is-disconnecting-my-internet

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Pseudo-disconnection-problems/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Random-Disconnection

This is a RECENT problem, all the people i’ve talked to have this problem ever since the last patch, everything worked fine before that.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

This issue is usually due to old router/modem hardware, they usually can’t handle more than a baseline of connections. The increase in parallel traffic in the last decade usually means old hardware isn’t up to par anymore. I would strongly recommend updating both, especially when you have more than 2 pcs on the network. At my place this helped tremendously.

Also you should double check IP conflicts.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Kire.9532

Kire.9532

Well, the thing is that so many people started having this problem at the same time, and only on this game. It’s on their end, not ours. This only happened after the patch.

Posted by: locusteater.7016

locusteater.7016

Tried forwarding ports?

Posted by: milkcoma.5102

milkcoma.5102

i think what people need to start doing that have these issues post there internet router brand and model. and see if there is a common issue. it might be a particular brand my be causing issues or needs a firmware update.

i forgot what router i owned in the past i was having issues with a certain game. i got a new router and it fixed all my issues. now im not saying go buy a new router but lets see if there are firmware updates that might help you or a certain brand that might be causing the problem.

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I bought a new router and modem when this began.

I have done everything on the Support page for the various “disconnect” codes. (they are ever changing since I was blessed with this issue):

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8994/~/error-codes

I have flushed my dns using the method provided in a previous lag/disconnect thread.

I have reset my modem, restarted my computer numerous times.

I have played with and without my firewall.

I have verified and repaired my files twice.

The only solution seems to be to uninstall the game or get used to playing like you are on a 2400 baud modem on a BBS playing a MUD.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Gahzirra.8639

Gahzirra.8639

Cable connection is hard wired. The reason I know it’s GW2 is that not only my computer goes down but my laptop sitting next to me and my mom’s computer on the other side…and it only happens when the game is open. I didn’t play for two days and never a disconnection.

Dunno sounds like it maybe a network thing I was told it has something to do with WIN7’s homeshare thing. I know my router shuts down the minute my wife turns on the laptop to the wireless network. Hard wired they work fine but wireless and pewww they all go down and I have to reset the router.