Laptop unable to handle GW2??

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Charlottea.1205

Charlottea.1205

Hey everyone, I know nothing about computers so I hope someone can help me with this!
I’ve had my laptop for about a year now and at first it ran GW2 very smoothly and I even had the graphics at fairly high settings. But recently, my laptop has been acting weird every time I run GW. It gets really hot and makes whirring noises and I lag for about 2 seconds every 5 seconds. (hope that made sense lol) I lowered the graphic settings but that didn’t seem to have helped at all :/ I just want to be able to play my game with pretty graphics again without lag! What should I do about it?

Also I’m not sure if this will be useful but here’s information about my laptop. :
Intel 4th Gen. Core i5-4200M Processor, 2.5GHz/2 Cores/4 Threads/Max Turbo 3.1GHz

8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

1TB SATA 5400rpm HDD

Intel HD Graphics 4600 with One HDMI and One VGA Ports

Thanks

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

overheating?

thermal paste might be dried. I never trust oem to properly apply thermal paste

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Or the fan just stopped working. That happened on my laptop. I replaced it myself, wasn’t very hard, and only cost 10 dollars, and that took care of everything. I had the whirring noise before the fan quit working completely, as well.

Thus, you might consider checking how well your fan is working, as well as thermal paste.

Good luck.

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Laptop is not made for playing games longer then 15min a day and then lowend is made for internet surfing.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Of course, that depends on the laptop.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Hey everyone, I know nothing about computers so I hope someone can help me with this!
I’ve had my laptop for about a year now and at first it ran GW2 very smoothly and I even had the graphics at fairly high settings. But recently, my laptop has been acting weird every time I run GW. It gets really hot and makes whirring noises and I lag for about 2 seconds every 5 seconds. (hope that made sense lol) I lowered the graphic settings but that didn’t seem to have helped at all :/ I just want to be able to play my game with pretty graphics again without lag! What should I do about it?

Also I’m not sure if this will be useful but here’s information about my laptop. :
Intel 4th Gen. Core i5-4200M Processor, 2.5GHz/2 Cores/4 Threads/Max Turbo 3.1GHz

8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

1TB SATA 5400rpm HDD

Intel HD Graphics 4600 with One HDMI and One VGA Ports

Thanks

That is most definitely thermal throttling due to dust build up around the CPU fan. Buy a can of air and blow out the vents where that fan is located. And that should clear the issue up.

if it doesnt, then that means the thermal paste went bad under your CPU’s heatsink and needs to be cleaned off and reapplied. Since your Laptop is only a year old I would see if there is still warranty on it and have the techs take care of it.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

ikereid.4637

Laptop is not made for playing games longer then 15min a day and then lowend is made for internet surfing.

yea, this is complete bull.

If you’re just going to post miss-information please don’t bother to post at all. its going to make users think that laptops cannot play games for more than 15mins, and that is just not true at all.

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

If you’re just going to post miss-information please don’t bother to post at all. its going to make users think that laptops cannot play games for more than 15mins, and that is just not true at all.

Even if you take like ASUS ROG G751JL it still not made to run games long time every day, if you set one on bechmark for 1week nonstop and they will die.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Even if you take like ASUS ROG G751JL it still not made to run games long time every day, if you set one on bechmark for 1week nonstop and they will die.

Then that laptop has some serious design issues from the start. Any computer system should be able to run at 100% computing non-stop (tho, I don’t doubt doing so will effect the life span of the system electronics……but that better be longer than a week….). Now this definitely depends if the unit has proper ambient cooling outside the case.

I’m not saying some (budget) laptops might not have serious cooling issues at 100% computational load on a continuous basis, but that means the system itself is lacking properly cooling design to begin with.

Many laptop overheating issues can be solved cleaning (compressed air thru vents / fans) and/or some sort of external cooling pad / deck to rest it on.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

ikereid.4637

I play GW2 and other games on my M6500, which is going on 6 years old now, 8+ hours a day on the weekends. That same laptop runs computation scripts in parallel with my desktop for MD5 checksums during the weekdays.

so your information is just 100% incorrect. Otherwise my M6500 would have died 18months after it was built. But..thats not the case and its going on 6 years old and still going strong.