Latencies issues [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Moogy.2378

Moogy.2378

Using my WIndows 7 Resource Monitor, I can see the latency for the GW2 TCP connections. I live in the Mira Mesa area of San Diego and have Cable Modem with great speeds. When GW2 first came up, save the launch day fun, I really had no connectivity or lag issues. However over the past month or so, the latency has gotten substantially worse, often averaging out at 250ms when it should be ~45-60 (which is sometimes jumps to).

I wanted to give the GW2 devs a heads up this problem is slowly getting worse and it’s affecting the gameplay. Note I’m on Henge of Denravi Server.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I have not been getting any latency issues while playing GW2. Are you sure you’re not running anything else that might cause lag? Or someone else might be streaming/etc?

Moogy.2378

Nope. I did a tracert to the server. The destination is 64.25.38.201 or .72.

This is what it looks like (omitting source for privacy, but it’s ~20ms):

2 38 ms 28 ms 34 ms ge7-1.sndaca81-cer01.socal.rr.com [76.167.4.217]
3 40 ms 47 ms 40 ms tge0-8-0-12.sndhcaax-ccr01.socal.rr.com [72.129.2.32]
4 88 ms 39 ms 39 ms agg22.lsancarc-ccr01.socal.rr.com [72.129.1.0]
5 173 ms 42 ms 38 ms ae-5-0.cr0.lax00.tkittenr.com [66.109.6.102]
6 35 ms 41 ms 34 ms 107.14.19.138
7 33 ms 52 ms 33 ms xe-7-1-0.edge1.LosAngeles6.Level3.net [4.26.0.25]
8 123 ms 34 ms 38 ms vlan60.csw1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.144.62]
9 54 ms 34 ms 36 ms ae-62-62.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.137.17]
10 67 ms 65 ms 65 ms ae-3-3.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.132.78]
11 66 ms 72 ms 71 ms ae-93-93.csw4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.151.169]
12 208 ms 65 ms 93 ms ae-4-90.edge2.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.145.203]
13 148 ms 86 ms 64 ms 4.59.197.34
14 148 ms 196 ms 93 ms 64.25.32.9
15 86 ms 176 ms 211 ms 64.25.32.26
16 69 ms 72 ms 74 ms 64.25.32.82

Posted by: Volsung the Slain.5132

Volsung the Slain.5132

ive been having the same problem ever since the halloween event ended. i was in mad kings labyrinth running with a zerg of at least 20 other people,and no lag or delay whatsoever. as soon as the event was over i began having terrible lag. this was at the same time sandy hit the east coast, so i thought that had something to do with it (i live in pa), but the other day a player from N.J. told me his town got hit hard, lost power for a few days and even he wasn’t feeling any lag. pretty sure its not on my end saying that i dont feel this lag in any of the other games i play (dota 2, dow 2, company of heroes to name a few) and the laptop im using is pretty much brand new and was made for gaming. i even tried to switch servers (went from northern shiverpeak to maguuna) and still no improvement. tried to reinstall the game for the heck of it and it was updating the patch at 145 kb/s. i have high speed internet and usually download things at 5 mb/s. worst of all, ive been seeing posts like this all over the internet and no response from areanet,…..scary

Posted by: Amirio.3802

Amirio.3802

Im having the exact same issue as you ever since the recent patch my latency has been 250-300 before it was in the low 100’s. The game is unplayable atm for me.

Posted by: Frankysan.6879

Frankysan.6879

I can report i have the same exact issue since patch. No other game affected

Posted by: boeing.3951

boeing.3951

same issue here from this morning, ganadara server EU

(edited by boeing.3951)

Posted by: Carob.6789

Carob.6789

from this morning I suffer of huge lag problem and, sometimes, I lose connection

Posted by: Frankysan.6879

Frankysan.6879

i would like to add it happens mostly in instanced areas

Posted by: Kablot.1832

Kablot.1832

Same issue here. Huge lag and disconnects. This started after the maintenance message that said that’s players may experience connection issues during maintenance. It has been more than 2 days now…

Posted by: ExaFlare.1390

ExaFlare.1390

We would like an answer about the lag. (French forum)
https://forum-fr.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Probl-mes-de-latences-Fusion/page/4
It’s been more than 2 weeks, we still can’t play in the evening (6pm-10pm GMT+1) because of the lag and we have no anwser from Anet.
A lot a people have this problem and most of them already left the game because there is a problem only with GW2.

Server : Vizunah Square [FR]
Chars : Exa Flare | Exaflare | Aurora Wall | Aurora Sword | Azure Flame God

Posted by: chapichapo.6354

chapichapo.6354

Same problem here, I’m not in the US , my usual ping is 230 wich makes the game playable ,but any problem server side and it becomes unplayable wich is the case right now. I just logged out after a few minutes, I had like 3 seconds of delay. My server : Arborstone.

Posted by: SuperIkonBros.3906

SuperIkonBros.3906

I have the same problem. The game was running smoothly for me, even after the Halloween update finished. I upgraded to Windows 8 right when the patch that “fixed the drop rate of unidentified dies” happened. At first i thought it was because of Windows 8 that i had lag, but everyone has said that GW2 runs fine with 8. My roommate who is playing on the same server and is using the same internet says he doesnt get any lag. So i figure one of these patches must have screwed some of us up.

Posted by: Morso.5024

Morso.5024

Same problem for me, this afternoon. Latency of several seconds, “ice world” and disconnects with the error code: 7:11:3:189:101

Italy
isp Fastweb

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

Same issue here. Has been fine since launch but recently it’s become a joke. My connection is fine, but when I log in to play GW2 I am experiencing 2-3 seconds + of delay. I’ve pretty much lost the will to log in, which is a shame as I’ve just reached 80 and crafted my first exotic. I really love the game, but I can’t play with the current level of lag.

Posted by: Baronclad.1725

Baronclad.1725

Add another to the list from Italy. Bought the game in early October and until last night I had no problems whatsoever. Today I get disconnected and taken back to my character select screen with the exact error code as everyone here reports. I’ve tried resetting my wifi router (secured) as some guild members suggested but no go.

ISP Fastweb

Posted by: mjalkar.5284

mjalkar.5284

having the same issue since yesterday night. i’m from italy too and with Fastweb as ISP ..

Posted by: Ulisse.3179

Ulisse.3179

Exact same problem here. Lag so huge that it’s unplayable even when it actually manage to go past the loading screen (and this almost never happens).

Only GW2 is lagging btw, so it’s not my connection (Fastweb).

All this started only about 3 days ago, never had any issues whatsoever before.

Posted by: Gawyn.7541

Gawyn.7541

Exact same problem here. Game is unplayable.

Posted by: Voxel.6473

Voxel.6473

I’m having performance issues here as well. A few days ago I experienced my first episode of skills locking up and delaying. I was forced to log out. I’ve had other problems as well.
I want to enjoy this game… but between performance issues, and cheating from your own team wrecking havoc for the opposing side, it’s become more then it’s worth.

I definitely need to take a break from the game. I hope things get resolved. It’s a great game otherwise.

Moogy.2378

Just wanted to keep this thread alive as I am still having the same lag hit issues in Cursed Shore. Terrible stuttering, and there’s not even that many people around. Note this is solely connection, not graphics/CPU/client.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Same here, I play in Phoenix, Arizona, and am on the Northern Shiverpeaks server. Lag has been horrible for the past 4 days, in pretty much any areas (Lion’s Arch is especially bad). I’ve got a 38down/5up wired connection, all other apps are ceased, all drivers updated, latest Windows update, etc. Still horrible lag. Please A-net, let’s get this solved.

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

How it looks in WvW: http://youtu.be/bdlqUuGPkXI

Simply cannot be played xD people jumping around, disapearing, getting damage when it should have appeared couple of secs ago… etc… 2 seconds is too much of a delay in WvW.

Posted by: Spectroscopy.7801

Spectroscopy.7801

I am having this exact same problem, it seems to only occur in Guildwars 2. Sometimes the lag gets so bad, it actually kicks me from mumble. No other game has done this for me, so something is seriously wrong. It started ever since the Halloween patch and got progressively worse. By the time Lost Shores patch released, I’m getting huge unplayable lag spikes everywhere I go. The most I can do now days is farm, that is literally the extent of the lag.

Posted by: Deutero.9084

Deutero.9084

Same problem here in India. My ISP is MTNL. It’s become unplayable, please fix this problem

Posted by: Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Azzrael Deathbane.4965

I too am having major lag issues, I can run Call of duty Modern warfare 3 on max settings with no issues. I log into GW2 and play an event like Jormag and i seriously lag. The NPCs are taking time to spawn when running aroun LA and the lost shores event was un-playable. I am playing on an MSI gaming laptop with a I7 processor and a 1gig radeon graphics card. I should be able to run this game with NO issues, however, am starting to get so fustrated with it, that i am not playing the game as much as i would like.

Winchester
England

“Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.”

Posted by: Vorper.7152

Vorper.7152

Same lag for the last month getting worse. I now only play on the trading post as WvW is a joke. I have a med high end game system I get 41 FPS min regardless of lag however I press to use a skill and 2 to 6 sec later it works, everything else runs fine without lag.

please fix this

Posted by: Dashrider.9360

Dashrider.9360

I’ve never had a lag issue before in GW2, but since the 11/15 update the game will stop in place. i will still be able to chat but i can’t use skills move, no one else is moving, ect.. after a minute or 2 i will get a server disconnect and be sent to the log in screen.

What I’ve done: Reinstall GW2. Reset modem, router, restart computer. called ISP had them run line test. None of these have shown ANY improvement to this issue.
It’s really bumming me out because the game is unplayable currently, and everything else i do online or otherwise seems to work just fine.

I play on tarnished coast, and would prefer not to move servers as i am a guild leader with everything guild upgrade bought, and 100+ members.

I am not a number!
I am a MAN!
YOU are number 6…

Posted by: agallagi.6584

agallagi.6584

i am having the same problem…i will be able to move, but nothing else moves and then it all happens at once, and then it will send me to character select.

Posted by: Vorper.7152

Vorper.7152

lag spike issues still for the last few weeks, and within the last few days my mini map looks like I have never explored the area. yet my main map is fine.

http://speedtest.net/result/2324244657.png here is a ping test showing that is not my isp.

I know 405 isn’t great but that’s the best anyone will get from 7300 miles away.
405 is still very playable. however I’m getting more like 1000ms plus response time spikes in game.

(how hard is it to do a repair on the game does anyone know? talking about the -repair* command one the .exe)

please fix.

(edited by Vorper.7152)

Posted by: OMaNOM.3948

OMaNOM.3948

Yea, I have been experiencing this as well, though mostly during the night or peak times. The best example of this lag I can give, is that when I’m mashing my ‘1’ skill, it would work fine for the first shot (on my engi), but then my charqacter would keep his gun pointed at the direction he’s firing at for around 1-3 seconds, and finally he would shoot 3-5 bullets in rapid succession.

Additionally, players around me seem to rubberband, though my character moves around perfectly. In combat, timing dodges is almost impossible, as it seems that the server detects my dodge at a much later time (and thus I get hit), though on my screen and as per the animation, the timing was correct and I should have not been hit.

Around the (irl) daytime, my ping is approximately 50-90ms. Around the night, my ping is approximately 90-200ms. Recorded using resmon.exe and currently playing on the Tarnished Coast server.

(edited by OMaNOM.3948)

Moogy.2378

From San Diego, it appears the problem is with Level3’s network:

Tracing route to 64.25.33.31 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 (omitted)
2 27 ms 28 ms 34 ms ge7-1.sndaca81-cer01.socal.rr.com [76.167.4.217]
3 39 ms 39 ms 48 ms tge0-8-0-12.sndhcaax-ccr01.socal.rr.com [72.129.2.32]
4 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms agg22.lsancarc-ccr01.socal.rr.com [72.129.1.0]
5 37 ms 95 ms 39 ms ae-5-0.cr0.lax00.tkittenr.com [66.109.6.102]
6 34 ms 33 ms 67 ms 107.14.19.138
7 210 ms 70 ms 185 ms xe-8-1-0.edge1.LosAngeles6.Level3.net [4.26.0.17]
8 243 ms 107 ms 139 ms vlan60.csw1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.144.62]
9 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms ae-62-62.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.137.17]
10 394 ms 74 ms 112 ms ae-3-3.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.132.78]
11 102 ms 133 ms 82 ms ae-63-63.csw1.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.151.133]
12 57 ms 58 ms 58 ms ae-1-60.edge2.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.145.11]

Moogy.2378

And tonight, I’m getting latency hits upwards of 900ms. It’s important the folks at ArenaNet know this problem is growing worse and worse over time (I didn’t have any issues like this the first month). If this issue persists, the game will soon be unplayable due to the massive lag hits. To have this problem from San Diego though a 20MBit Cable Modem is a big red flag… Somebody needs to get a hold of Level3 and find out what’s going on.

Posted by: Obsidian.2739

Obsidian.2739

I have same problem in Los Angeles – Gate of Madness server — making it unplayable

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

How it looks in WvW: http://youtu.be/bdlqUuGPkXI

Simply cannot be played xD people jumping around, disapearing, getting damage when it should have appeared couple of secs ago… etc… 2 seconds is too much of a delay in WvW.

This is precisely what it’s like to play in Australia. Constant latencies of 450-500ms avg. without any server load (ie. static environment, crafting in a town, etc.) and it gets worse in a major force/zerg in WvW. Latencies have increased anywhere up to 12sec on more than a few occasions. Movement and camera angles are still manageable, but actions get lost in the lag.

I have tested my connection (8Mb/sec) on speedtest.net and a standard ping from my ISP to San Francisco/Berkeley (as an example) is constantly ~230ms which is kitten good for half a world away on a crappy ADSL1-maxed connection. As someone quoted above, the problem lies when the signal has to go through so many servers and gateways, etc. and as such, one lag spike in any part of that path is compounded many times over the further the signal has to travel.

Add in the game mechanisms of say 40-50 people battling it out in WvW and you can understand the screen not only gets very messy but returns about 2-3FPS unless you briefly turn away from the battle. But for me the worst part is when you’re running along with some people to cap a point (say a camp) and enemies come from out of nowhere. You can’t even see them on the screen until they’re on top of you and it’s too late to do anything about it. I can’t tell if this is lag or something else that’s game-related. I know hundreds of other players have the same issues on good connections with way better pings than me, so the only conclusion I can draw is that it’s something unresolved on the game-side.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

I’m ready to bash a hole in a wall.

Like the previous poster stated 200ms is a good day for me living in Southern Africa. But the last two weeks latency has shot up to 350-400ms. Forget sPVP and WvW, no matter how good I am I can’t do kitten.

Ping, tracert and gw2.exe -diag are fine going from Cape Town to London to Frankfurt (around 150-175ms which is what Diablo III ping is consistently at) then goes to kitten when it crosses the Atlantic.

I guess nobody gives a toss about people outside of Europe or the US but I’m extremely disappointed and frustrated at this point.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Posted by: Volsung the Slain.5132

Volsung the Slain.5132

its been 3 months and I still have this lag problem, think its time to give up on this game