Latency Fix Mac Guide

Latency Fix Mac Guide

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sylar.6802

Sylar.6802

Hello guys, I just found the following information on the web. It is from a WOW website and it was primarly focussed on Windows machines.

A couple of guys in my guild tested it on their Windows machines and for them it improved, and they suffered less from latency in WvW.
But for our MAC users there is also something we can do.

source: http://www.wowinterface.com/portal.php?&id=731&pageid=248

Let me quote the info: (click spoiler)

Leatrix Latency Fix isn’t supported on Macs. However, you can achieve lower latency in OSX by entering the following command in a terminal window. This will disable delayed acknowledgements until you restart your computer.

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

To disable them permanently, create a text file under “/etc/” called “sysctl.conf” and copy/paste the following line then restart your computer.

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

To set things back to default, just delete the “sysctl.conf” file and restart your computer.

If you’re not familiar with /etc, it’s actually a symbolic link which goes to /private/etc. This is a hidden root folder which isn’t normally visible in the Finder.

To be able to see hidden folders in the Finder, open up a terminal window and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Then restart the Finder. To do that, hold down the option key then click and hold on the Finder icon in the dock. When the context menu appears, click Relaunch and the Finder will restart. You should now see all the hidden folders in the Finder, including /etc (either find the Symbolic Link or the actual folder which is inside /private).

When you’re done and you want to hide the hidden folders again, bring up a terminal window and enter the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Then restart the Finder in the same way as before. The hidden folders should now be hidden again.

Hidden folders contain critical system configuration files so be careful that you don’t delete or move anything by mistake while they are visible in the Finder.

Latency Fix Mac Guide

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Honestly I would advise against doing this unless you’re comfortable messing with the Terminal Console and have some clue what it’s actually doing.
It goes without saying that if you don’t know what something is doing to your computer and how to fix it if something goes wrong then it’s safer to leave things as they were intended to be.

On a more positive note, OSX Mavericks which will be released later this year contains updates to OpenGL and has significant improvements in how OSX handles RAM, so when that hits the GW2 client should hopefully run much better.

Latency Fix Mac Guide

Posted by: Sylar.6802

Sylar.6802

I really hope you are right about Mavericks. I do hope on better GPU drivers etc…

I do agree with you on my mentioned changes, because then can be with risk, but do it only if you know what you are doing (or are desperate because of the lag in wvw)