Let's unite for a Mac OS X native client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ArtVandilay.3210

ArtVandilay.3210

I quit bothering with playing via Boot Camp. A native client would be the only motivator for me to play again.

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

The cider client isn’t completely horrible but it has a number of issues they haven’t bothered to address in cider in 2+yr (same bugs effecting other games with cider) the 2D rendering performance for things like name plates and sprites and if you end up with to any on your screen it tanks. Memory usage is poor and it doesn’t properly address a lot of GPU acceleration

Posted by: avengery.6180

avengery.6180

after i bought my mac with the only hope that i will play gw2 on it .. im still trying to download it every time client crashes and its not resuming i wish soon we will have native client for this wonderful game

I’m always Avengery

Posted by: elentras.4965

elentras.4965

Yes! I vote for native client for Mac too !

Posted by: dodster.5379

dodster.5379

Did they even told anyyythingg about Native client? I am asking myself if there will ever be one :/

Posted by: Jadjuka.6521

Jadjuka.6521

I want a native client as well. I’m coming in from WoW and I’m seeing lots of games are going for Mac. The idea that “mac’s can’t play games” doesn’t exit anymore. Steam has tons of games for Mac, the Elders Scrolls MMO is going to be available to Mac’s from the get go, it’s time ANet/NSoft do the same. There’s no longer a good reason to keep it in Beta form.

Posted by: Sylar.6802

Sylar.6802

I contacted Support for a native client, because Arenanet hardly looks at the Mac sub forum.

Support suggested me to open a Suggestion, for having a native client.
So I did as the told me.

Please all come to:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Native-Mac-OSX-Client-Request

And try to make Arenanet see the importancy of such a native client in that section of the forums.

Posted by: Yayap.3180

Yayap.3180

Indeed, I think we who prefer to use the Mac are too undermined and brushed over with this sort of thing.. Especially with an MMO, if you want and need a large player base to stay afloat, then why not allocate some teams to making sure that you can have a native client for the game for every capable OS?
Giuld Wars 2 is my favorite MMO right now, but I think ESO will take my attention more, partly because they will have a dedicated Mac client.

My brother-in-law Just got a late 2012 Mac Mini (i5, Intel HD4000, 8Gigs RAM) and he is really wanting to play GW2 on it because it will run it better than his old 2008 MBP and he can’t put $1,000+ towards a good gaming Windows computer. Another thing is that Apple really needs to put proper video and image processing components in their Mac lines, Because yeah the slim factor is nice, but cutting out dedicated graphics and other components does not add to developer’s reasons of why they should also develop for Mac…

Native Mac clients for PC games are much appreciated and needed.

Be brave.

Posted by: Xeesi.5189

Xeesi.5189

Arena Net; We want a native OS X client! YES you can!

I get my new top spec iMac this week and I don´t want to use bootcamp or beta client. You know Elder Scrolls Online will release this year for windows and OS X? ;-)

Posted by: avengery.6180

avengery.6180

today i deleted my bootcamp i bought my mac to use mac not to switch back to windows .. i will keep playing league of legends till we get good guild wars 2 mac native client ..
Best wishes guys

I’m always Avengery

Posted by: Louiziana.2180

Louiziana.2180

I ONLY bought this game because they released the Mac beta, Mac is all i have and all i will ever want.

Did they really release a beta without ever intending on releasing a real client, or to even update us on their plans? it seems that way.

That’s Shady, especially while they release a news blog on our American Site saying how excited they are about releasing the game in China….. NEWS FLASH we don’t care, we don’t live in China.

How about you worry about the people who already bought the game, not about the people who will buy it in the future.

Lets tweet gw2 with this link, being as they really never even read or reply in these mac forums anyways… shame

youtube.com/jacobizreal

Posted by: washac.2897

washac.2897

I stopped playing months ago when I realised the best they are going to give us is a wrapped version which will always be Beta.

No Mac native version I do not play anymore.

I wish I had never spent my money on this game.

(edited by washac.2897)

Posted by: Shaedowfang.7083

Shaedowfang.7083

As the resources used to convert all the resources to mac made it really slow on Mac OSX (I could easily get to 60 fps when I bootcamp it in similar or higher settings). I really think a native client for mac should be set up.

Guild wars 2 has been an awesome game and I really wanted to play the game without spending 5-10 minutes switching between OS to play one game.

Louiziana.2180

I guess Louis, that moderator that recently replied to a few post’s last week has already stopped answering questions? lol

youtube.com/jacobizreal

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

I imagine he gets days off too ;p

Posted by: Luis Machado.4256

Luis Machado.4256

Technical Support

Next

I guess Louis, that moderator that recently replied to a few post’s last week has already stopped answering questions? lol

I’ve only been at it a couple days and I’m already getting razzed!

I’ve combing the posts trying to see what kind of grievances Mac players have. This item number one that I’m looking into. I haven’t posted on this yet because I didn’t have anything relevant to communicate.

I’m poking hard though, and as I have any information or update to give you guys I will share.

yes they let me out every now and then so I don’t forget what sunshine looks like

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’ve combing the posts trying to see what kind of grievances Mac players have. This item number one that I’m looking into. I haven’t posted on this yet because I didn’t have anything relevant to communicate.

I’m poking hard though, and as I have any information or update to give you guys I will share.

yes they let me out every now and then so I don’t forget what sunshine looks like

I’m glad to see you here. We have been looking for someone from Anet to check in with us for a little while now.

The Burninator

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Thanks. I think we mostly would like to know how to set our expectations (since I think everyone has had to reevaluate them in the light of things like laser hawks forever and the “we won’t support the beta client” stuff we keep getting). Like, if you could tell us there is a stall, temporary or permanent, as far as client dev would be nice (i.e. just come out and tell us that putting resources in the mac client is not a good business decision if that is what is happening here…some of us are adults ).

Louiziana.2180

LOL true! sorry, i was having a horrible night, and the lag to go with it, i know everyone deserves a day off, and i didn’t realize it was the weekend haha. Thanks for taking time to hit us up with info, do you know if they ever really even plan on making a client, cause really you have to agree the way we get handled, makes it look like they regret even doing a mac beta

youtube.com/jacobizreal

Posted by: Tick Tock.9602

Tick Tock.9602

I am very grateful that there is a Mac Client. Honestly if the Mac client drops I will probably drop the game. I’m not interested in installing Windows to play a game. Again, very happy to have a Mac client (would love a native one) and our new support for it!

Posted by: dustinboettcher.5738

dustinboettcher.5738

Srsly u revived a thread that was 3 months old….

and why the hell are most ppl here so fixated on a native client anyway. What do u expect an increase of 20-30 frames? How about a new mac? Don’t have the money – don’t buy a mac in the first place?

Well ok that’s not the best argument but even if ANet intended to build a native version in early dev-stages (which probably was not the case) – it still is a bunch of work to really go for it.

I played on a MBA 2012 and now 2013 and the game runs… not the ultimate experience but I’m able to enjoy the game. The wrapper around the client is pretty decent. Sure a native client is nice to have but 90% of the client disfunction is caused by the user itself. I never had a problem and I’m playing since beta (well except the paypal issue and the bird)

I’ve to admit that the requirements are not right – an HD3000? Not for this game. Start with at least the 2012 model or the MBP 2011 15" (not 13").

Forget the idea of a native client – maybe someday who knows – but with a 2 week schedule for new content – no way.

One Zero Seven Eight [AE] (Asura only Guild)

Louiziana.2180

Any news? i’m not letting this post slip back down into the archives, it’s too important to leave behind again

youtube.com/jacobizreal

Posted by: Chem.8712

Chem.8712

native client, singed !

Posted by: Luis Machado.4256

Previous

Luis Machado.4256

Technical Support

Any news? i’m not letting this post slip back down into the archives, it’s too important to leave behind again

Nothing yet :\ still waiting to hear, Don’t worry I’m not letting this one slip either, I’ll post as soon as I have information for you guys.

Kyllaa.1385

Thanks Luis!

Posted by: Frisky Business.3762

Frisky Business.3762

Please, we just want to have a little bit more FPS. Not everyone has bootcamp, or wants to boot into windows just to play the game. I assure you that Guild Wars has a large enough mac playerbase to make this worth it. The current client just isn’t good at all… FPS on my macbook pro 2012 15" 16gb ram 2.3 ghz processor with nothing else running is decent in a non-crowded area, but almost unplayable during things like world events or even zone champs with more than 10 people around. This is with every graphics setting virtually as low as they can be set..

Its honestly on the verge of unplayable and I know I am not the only one. I really wish anet gave more attention to the mac users, I understand how difficult a full native port would be but there must be something to get us out of this terrible wine wrapper that is dragging the performance down so much..

Kyllaa.1385

Frisky, you may want to check for overheating or something because most of us don’t get it that bad. Also, make sure you set your system to disable graphics switching under power saving settings.

The Mac client is far from perfect, and the cider wrapper hogs resources like no other, but it is playable on most systems… Even mini’s from 2009… Just barely on 13 inch MBP though lol.

Posted by: Silverbleed.3169

Silverbleed.3169

Please do. I have a beautiful iMac, worked really hard for an need it for my study. Which means I cannot afford a game pc. And now, I can’t even enjoy it on medium performance because my game will get laggy. What the hell?
I don’t feel comfortable with Bootcamp, while it’ll most likely run much more beautiful with that.

Posted by: viciouspike.8624

viciouspike.8624

I don’t really see the problem :| I am playing on a late 2012 iMac 21.5 with 2.9 GHz and 16 GB RAM. I play on high settings, rarely see lag in high populous areas or otherwise. Sometimes I will throw GW2 in the background for a couple hours as I look on the Internet for things to listen or watch a video. Right now I have Mail, PhotoBooth, iPhoto, iTunes, App Store, GW2, and a Skype video call going at the same time still running quite smooth. I am content either way just wish the Magic Mouse would work better.

Kyllaa.1385

Vicious, It’s not a big deal for everyone, but not everyone has a top spec comp like you have.

I personally don’t have a problem with the Mac client, but it doesn’t run as well on all systems. And, it’s insanely obvious how much better it runs on bootcamp.

Also, sometimes, when they “fix” something on the pc client, it innately breaks something on the Mac due to the wrapper and such.

I personally can run the gw2 client while having photoshop, illustrator, dream weaver, a browser with at least 10 tabs, sometimes 2 browsers for testing, plus iTunes, several finder windows and activity monitor going without any issues, but those machines running 4gb aren’t so lucky. Gw2 uses more than 1.5 gb of memory alone plus one of 4 cores (on a 4 core system), plus another ~.3 gb for the wrapper, it’s not always as easy sailing for lower specs. It’s very obvious then and most of these systems are minimally upgradable.

So, I imagine that would be why more peeps are wanting a native client.

I personally just want us to have a nice support base that is dedicated to helping us get any issues we have fixed and maybe get us out of beta and running like civilised peeps. People just want the same support as the pc peeps for the product they paid for!

Frisky, do you have the istat widget? If not, get it and test your system temps after running the client for about 15 mins. Please open a new topic and post your cpu & gpu temps so we can help you get back on track!

Posted by: viciouspike.8624

viciouspike.8624

Vicious, It’s not a big deal for everyone, but not everyone has a top spec comp like you have.

I personally don’t have a problem with the Mac client, but it doesn’t run as well on all systems. And, it’s insanely obvious how much better it runs on bootcamp.

Also, sometimes, when they “fix” something on the pc client, it innately breaks something on the Mac due to the wrapper and such.

I personally can run the gw2 client while having photoshop, illustrator, dream weaver, a browser with at least 10 tabs, sometimes 2 browsers for testing, plus iTunes, several finder windows and activity monitor going without any issues, but those machines running 4gb aren’t so lucky. Gw2 uses more than 1.5 gb of memory alone plus one of 4 cores (on a 4 core system), plus another ~.3 gb for the wrapper, it’s not always as easy sailing for lower specs. It’s very obvious then and most of these systems are minimally upgradable.

So, I imagine that would be why more peeps are wanting a native client.

I personally just want us to have a nice support base that is dedicated to helping us get any issues we have fixed and maybe get us out of beta and running like civilised peeps. People just want the same support as the pc peeps for the product they paid for!

Yeah I understand that and I was going to post for most people to just upgrade their RAM and that would probably work wonders and it is fairly cheap to do, I am under the impression that most stuff pre-2012 was user upgradeable RAM so just look on Apple support and you can’t really mess it up. I have a 2008 MacBook that I wouldn’t dare install this on… Programming on it is hard enough so I do get why a native client would be useful just stating my own personal experience. Don’t mean to sound condescending with any of this.

Kyllaa.1385

No worries! point/counter-point lol

Posted by: teonimesic.1403

teonimesic.1403

I’ve tried the mac version and it was really, really bad. I had around 7~15 fps with lowest graphic settings. It wasnt playable, so i reinstalled it on a windows (with bootcamp), and got to 25~30 fps. I have a maxed out MBP 2010 (with 8GB RAM and a solid state drive), so it shouldnt be this bad.

I would like to see a native client, but seeing how many other improvements the game needs (bug fixes, class and skill balance, and other features and content) it isnt on my top 10. If Anet and Guild Wars had developers to spare, i would really love a native client, but this just isnt the case. There are a lot of bugs reported more than 6 months ago that never got fixed, and if the devs were to split into a mac and windows versions, everything just would take longer and things would fall apart.

My advice: remove the mac version completely. Let users who already installed use it, but remove any advertisements that guild wars has a mac version. Its just so bad that you shouldnt sell it.

EDIT: Okay, it wasnt totally at low graphics, i was using 1650×1080 resolution. Everything else was on lowest thought, and i didnt had anything else open that was resource greedy. I also forgot to mention it is a late 2010 MBP.

(edited by teonimesic.1403)

Kyllaa.1385

Running this game at slightly lower resolution helps significantly, especially considering the base specs of your system.

You also have to ensure that graphics switching is turned off so it uses your discrete card.

Posted by: lyrthanas.9214

lyrthanas.9214

“I would absolutely love a native client for my Mac!!!” i really share this sentence and i’d like to say that if that’s not in the possibility of the ANet at least a bit more of support for the actual client should be given.

Posted by: ArtPulse.8630

ArtPulse.8630

It’s clear by now that porting is not an option. I would love to be able to play this on my Mac, bootcamping to “Malfunctioning and Unintuitive OS” is a nightmare. Guild Wars 2 is my favorite game of all times by now.

Esthetics – Tarnished Coast
[Cult] Counterculture

Posted by: Henke.4356

Henke.4356

I got all hyped when I saw that there even was a Mac (Beta) Client. Didn’t know about it at all. Guess I check on the forums too little. I’ve been playing thru Bootcamp all the year, gonna install this now. But reading all the comments about it… makes me feel there’s no real use.

I played Guild Wars 1 via Wine and it had laser beams on basically every creature, but aside of that it worked pretty fine. However this is a much more complex game so I guess it has plenty more issues than that.

A native client would be a lot harder to develop, obviously. But a lot easier to maintain, when it’s done. Now having to translate everything via Cider, Wine or whatever, would mean no misinterpretations, and not so many hard-to-fix evil minded patches. However, it could mean another team, to work on each patch release for the Mac version.

A Native Client would be much easier for the users. But seriously now, how many Mac users is there? About 10% of all sold computers are Macs these days. Not a lot of those are bought to play games (many laptops). And atop of that, most that play games, do actually have Bootcamp/Windows.
So to be realistic. This is what Anet is dealing with. And that they prioritize other things atop of that is not especially strange to me.

EDIT: The only games I play is GW/GW2. I got Bootcamp just for that. Not using Windows for anything else. So of course I would love this to happen. But realistically speaking.. It’s hard to motivate the costs of it.

(edited by Henke.4356)

Posted by: saithira.9037

saithira.9037

With the news of finally getting last version of OpenGL to osx in the next release and a major overhaul to the gfx support so you more or less get the same gfx features as on linux and windows on mac too I would seriously love getting a native client for osx. I have several monitors and using the cider port is first of all slow, 2nd huge issues with multi monitors, not to talk about all gfx glitches, preview on some shoppies not working and the list go on.

Getting a native client with GW2 would be generaly awsome as GW2 is the only game I play, and probably for a long time still, I even donate a bit cash in the app store to make sure you have income to keep the game running.

Still pleeeeease push on and give some feedback on things. Cider been stale for a long time now, and I bet they wont come with a update with the OpenGL version even so we can get a bit better features and speed through cider either. I feel like I have a huge disadvantage in the game esp in massive moments like WvW. Considering Raidish features coming later on I really would like the osx version to get enough performance to join in on the fun. I dont care if you limit it to the latest version of OSX (the coming one) and up, thing is I would gladly upgrade my osx version to get a native client which really works

PS. I will never install bootcamp, takes to much space and I cant handle windows anymore.

——
Saithira.9037

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

me and my gf, we want to buy new macbooks next year and we are playing only GW2 and LoL. I’m looking forward to hear some news about native Mac OS client for this awesome game!!!

Talék

(edited by Talek.6795)

Posted by: Bushido.2184

Bushido.2184

Guild wars 2 was created with DirectX for graphics (MS platform exclusive), instead of OpenGL which would allow much easier porting to other platforms like Mac and Linux.

Now, in order to have a real and proper native Mac port, everything in DirectX would have to be rewritten in OpenGL. It would have not been a problem if they used OpenGL from the beginning, but now it’s too late.

So, that would be an allocation of resources to porting that they may not like to take. Don’t hold your breath I guess.

Leet Hacker (War) | Linüx (Necro) | Linúx (Ele)
Quit to play my 2 favorite competitive fps and moba games ported to my favorite OS.

Posted by: Enektric.4527

Enektric.4527

I really don’t get why devs are using Directx, the only OS in the world that runs on it is windows. If they used OpenGL they could use it on ANY OS in the world even on playstation and xbox since those run on OpenGL as well.

you would think they do it because Directx is better but in fact the difference between the two is very minor.

Even if it’s a pain to convert everything I am still putting all my hopes up for a native client until then I am forced out of wvw because I just can’t stay there for 10minutes without crashing.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing.

Talek.6795

Did devs make any statement about native client?

Talék

Posted by: Manzazuu.9086

Manzazuu.9086

Still nothing.

I am sorry, but I cant keep playing this game having a top Macbook Pro and playing like I was on an outdated PC.

It was a good initiative, which made me buy the game in first place, but I guess I will be off until a native version comes out.

Kyllaa.1385

Many of us don’t have any major issues on the mac client… However lately iMac peeps are.

If you are having issues, post a new thread, maybe someone can help.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I really don’t get why devs are using Directx, the only OS in the world that runs on it is windows. If they used OpenGL they could use it on ANY OS in the world even on playstation and xbox since those run on OpenGL as well.

you would think they do it because Directx is better but in fact the difference between the two is very minor.

Even if it’s a pain to convert everything I am still putting all my hopes up for a native client until then I am forced out of wvw because I just can’t stay there for 10minutes without crashing.

Except that if they did it in OpenGL it would be a massive pain for having the game on windows which is their primary market, not to mention most graphics cards are designed to be best utilised y directX. There is a reason it is still the most widely used format. Also directX is a Microsoft property I think, so of course if you want to develop a game for Windows then you’re going to be developing on directX

Posted by: slinkiestyew.6823

slinkiestyew.6823

Saying they’ve already done it in whichever format and that it’ll be a pain and a cost of resources to give us a dedicated Mac port might be true, but it makes it no less necessary! I love Guild Wars – I see the game going for a great many more years, what with all their amazing updates and all – but if it intends to be taken seriously by its fans (like me!) for much longer I’m strongly behind a dedicated Mac client.

Sure, Mac gamers might not be their main audience, but I’m sure we’re a significant number. If even small Indie game studios cater for us, I don’t see myself gritting my teeth and trying so hard to enjoy a useable but ultimately unenjoyable wrapper client that’s in permanent BETA (I’m not even sure if it’s being worked on) from a large studio like ArenaNet for that much longer!

I absolutely love the game. I think it’s tragic that I have to be playing on 2001 Runescape-esque graphics when I’ve got a top-of-the-line OSX machine — and perhaps even more tragic that ArenaNet is happy allowing our (perhaps smaller) Mac population to experience all the wonderful work they put into the game on the Lowest graphics settings forever just because we’re not as many as their Windows userbase.

I would gladly pay a top-up fee or even a small subscription (though that’d be somewhat against my morals) to see them give some consideration to a properly supported Mac client. To give us a mediocre appeasement BETA toy and then kicking us out into the streets indefinitely with no further word like that is frankly rather unprofessional, and it makes me sad.

:)

(edited by slinkiestyew.6823)

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Saying they’ve already done it in whichever format and that it’ll be a pain and a cost of resources to give us a dedicated Mac port might be true, but it makes it no less necessary! I love Guild Wars – I see the game going for a great many more years, what with all their amazing updates and all – but if it intends to be taken seriously by its fans (like me!) for much longer I’m strongly behind a dedicated Mac client.

Sure, Mac gamers might not be their main audience, but I’m sure we’re a significant number. If even small Indie game studios cater for us, I don’t see myself gritting my teeth and trying so hard to enjoy a useable but ultimately unenjoyable wrapper client that’s in permanent BETA (I’m not even sure if it’s being worked on) from a large studio like ArenaNet for that much longer!

I absolutely love the game. I think it’s tragic that I have to be playing on 2001 Runescape-esque graphics when I’ve got a top-of-the-line OSX machine — and perhaps even more tragic that ArenaNet is happy allowing our (perhaps smaller) Mac population to experience all the wonderful work they put into the game on the Lowest graphics settings forever just because we’re not as many as their Windows userbase.

I would gladly pay a top-up fee or even a small subscription (though that’d be somewhat against my morals) to see them give some consideration to a properly supported Mac client. To give us a mediocre appeasement BETA toy and then kicking us out into the streets indefinitely with no further word like that is frankly rather unprofessional, and it makes me sad.

I find it kind of puzzling, actually. Mac users typically pay a premium for products, meaning they’re generally willing to pay more for what they like. What’s puzzling is that that implies (though I don’t have metrics) they would therefore be gem customers. Even though it’s a smaller population (and is that correlative to the fact there’s no client or is the lack of a client causative?), wouldn’t a higher-per capita number of Mac users buy gems? I assume so, but dunno… maybe data mining some client:gem purchase data would bear that out.

I am satisfied (and only satisfied – not ecstatic) with the performance under Cider/Wine, and would in fact like a native client.

I do, though, have another self interest in continued work on the Cider version – I play on Linux (desktop) and Mac (laptop) – any development on the Cider wrapper will likely result in simultaneous performance increases under Wine.

TLDR; as long as ANet keeps working on supporting the Mac (via either means of compatibility), I’ll be happy.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I just want the dbits crashes and the gamma bug to be fixed. The current cider work fine for me besides that.

Posted by: ikir.4923

ikir.4923

I stopped playing months ago when I realised the best they are going to give us is a wrapped version which will always be Beta.

No Mac native version I do not play anymore.

I wish I had never spent my money on this game.

Same here, full of bugs and performance are terrible. They are dishonest, this is not a beta but a joke. They will not have ever a single cents from me. My other 2 friend playing GW2 quitter too for the same reason. We’re waiting for ESO that will be native and the mac dev is posting on Mac forums.

Talek.6795

I find it kind of puzzling, actually. Mac users typically pay a premium for products, meaning they’re generally willing to pay more for what they like. What’s puzzling is that that implies (though I don’t have metrics) they would therefore be gem customers. Even though it’s a smaller population (and is that correlative to the fact there’s no client or is the lack of a client causative?), wouldn’t a higher-per capita number of Mac users buy gems? I assume so, but dunno… maybe data mining some client:gem purchase data would bear that out.

I am satisfied (and only satisfied – not ecstatic) with the performance under Cider/Wine, and would in fact like a native client.

I do, though, have another self interest in continued work on the Cider version – I play on Linux (desktop) and Mac (laptop) – any development on the Cider wrapper will likely result in simultaneous performance increases under Wine.

TLDR; as long as ANet keeps working on supporting the Mac (via either means of compatibility), I’ll be happy.

Totally agree! ANet, please keep us in touch with the situation.

Talék