Level 3.... Again....

Level 3.... Again....

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

Once again Level 3 is dropping packets. Did a tracert of multiple servers and gw2 seems to be the only one using a 56k connection atm. Again it is level3.

(edited by Moderator)

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

Hi everbody I’m from egypt, the land of kittenty internet, but i know it’s not that kittenty, since i’ve always been able to play with 90-110ms ping with no problems whatsoever.
But lately this latency seems to mean nothing, as my resource monitor and ping plots show no/miniscule (i.e <1%) packet loss, but the ingame latency keeps jumping anywhere between 90 and 200 (sometimes is see 500+), so what is going on here?, if my connection is able to achieve the normal 90-110ms why does it feel like 300+ ALL THE TIME
i know for sure that my connection is decent enough to handle GW2’s wvw and busy cities and hotm, i have no troubles in other games such as planetside 2 (which arguably features more players per zone than GW2 ever does), sadly i can’t submit a pingplotter report at the moment (so you will just have to take my word for it), but can someone tell me wth is going on??
Note: all hops/nodes leading to the targeted NCsoft server do not show ping spikes or packet loss except those that my isp has explicitly stated do that by design and this only affect ping requests (ICMP Packets).

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

I would suggest contacting Level 3 or have your ISP contact them on see what they can do.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

This has nothing to do with my ISP. Level 3 is the default DNS for GW2 AFAIK.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Sassy.1697

Sassy.1697

" gw2 seems to be the only one using a 56k connection atm"

?

“This has nothing to do with my ISP. Level 3 is the default DNS for GW2 AFAIK.”

?

Non of this is true nor does it make sense.

Level3 is not the default DNS anything for GW2. It’s a network company that is providing server hops between your ISP and GW2 because your ISP does not have it’s own access to the node GW2 servers are at.
The one in the middle can be whoever your ISP has choosen.(Has a deal with / Is the best/fastest connection to the endpoint)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing

Long story short:

Your ISP can change the way you are connecting to GW2. It’s worth a try (but they probably won’t).

Other options are a VPN with different routing or a different provider. Most providers won’t tell/check for you how they route specific traffic though.

And keep in mind that the GW2 servers are having some hickups these days aswell.
(no specific infos on that yet though)

There are enough threads about stuff like this already..

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I do like when people post about Level 3 demanding ArenaNet to fix it.

Short version: Anet can’t, they don’t control it. You really have to speak to your ISP and get them to contact level 3 to fix the problem. Anet can’t help at all. They are completely stuck at being able to assist you. And it’s not that they don’t want to. They cannot help you with this, at all.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

Once again Level 3 is dropping packets. Did a tracert of multiple servers and gw2 seems to be the only one using a 56k connection atm. Again it is level3.

Curby have you tried using a tunnelling service like wtfast ? I’ve been using it for over two years as I’m based in Brisbane Australia. The difference for me is night and day. I couldn’t spam conditions on you without it.

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Level 3.... Again....

RapidSausage.4620

Can’t anybody at least tell me if anyone else is suffering from this??

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: verstellemi.5047

verstellemi.5047

I have been recently too. I am able to have about 70-90 ping to all other games I play. Even in GW2 in the past. But since HOT I have been averageing 300 ping. I live in Seattle WA, and have decent internet. GW2 is the only game that has this problem for me.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I do like when people post about Level 3 demanding ArenaNet to fix it.

Short version: Anet can’t, they don’t control it. You really have to speak to your ISP and get them to contact level 3 to fix the problem. Anet can’t help at all. They are completely stuck at being able to assist you. And it’s not that they don’t want to. They cannot help you with this, at all.

I always wonder if all those people when they are in a traffic jam, call
the manufacturer of their car, and demand that they should fix that.
Or maybe if they want to visit a person, than that person has to fix it
because i can drive to John and have no traffic jam, but when i want to
drive to Joe .. there is always jam .. so Joe must fix it

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Level 3.... Again....

RapidSausage.4620

ok this is getting weird, sometime i join a map server and get a horrible latency (the same kind i mentioned in the original post), but after several attempts or leaving/entering the zone/map server again the latency becomes normal, even though it’s the same zone with the same IP.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Markhov.4603

Markhov.4603

It has been many days people around the world are encountering latency issue when playing Guild Wars 2 NA servers. You may be not the one, but some of us are struggling to play especially latency spikes when we are into combat mode. I have monitored Ping Plotter closely and found out the root cause. I have also researched around the net and found this routing server is causing many latency issues to many other online games as well. Hopefully ANET would do something on this.

Attachments:

So long as there are men, there will be wars.

Level 3.... Again....

Markhov.4603

It is one of the routing server causing the problem, ear1.Dallas1.Level3.net, ANET seriously need to do something about this.

Level 3.... Again....

Markhov.4603

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It’s likely due to the fact that several tornado’s have hit the Dallas area quite hard recently.

L3’s infrastructure in that area may have taken a hit.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

It is one of the routing server causing the problem, ear1.Dallas1.Level3.net, ANET seriously need to do something about this.

Seriously? Anet doesn’t own or operate Level 3. It is a separate company, you can only hope that enough of Level 3’s customers call and complain about their service.

Level 3.... Again....

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Anet doesn’t own Level 3, nor do that work with level 3, nor do they have server with Level 3.

Level 3 is just an intersection in the internet road, and Anet happens to be a store on side road behind it. Level 3 needs to fix their intersection. Anet cannot do a thing about it. You can try speaking to your ISP and see if they can either contact Level 3 to fix it, or try their tier 2 support to reroute your connection. Or try a VPN to avoid the hop that is broken. Anet’s hands are really tied. (I even mentioned it earlier in this post. I was not kidding or trying to put Anet on a pedestal. They really have their hands tied.)

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.