Looking for an answer to System Specs

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Calm Snorlax.5308

Calm Snorlax.5308

Just looking to see if there are any options I can change with my PC to get better performance, here are my specs.

Windows XP 32-bit SP3
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Biostar P4M900-M7 FE Motherboard
4G installed RAM, 4-4-4-12 timings DDR2
Nvidia FeForce 9600 GSO Video Card

I’m running at lowest settings and getting about 25-30fps sitting around, 7-10fps in dungeons.

Just wondering if there’s any optimization I can do to increase my framerate/what’s bottle necking me.

Posted by: PhoenixFire.2790

PhoenixFire.2790

Not meant as anything rude, but the bottle neck is everything you listed.

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

Your bottleneck would be in the following order:

Video Card and CPU (a tie)
32bit OS (32bit has issues in GW2)
Memory (at least XP is low memory)

What is your budget? What model power supply do you have? Are you open to swapping parts/building your own?

Calm Snorlax.5308

Not meant as anything rude, but the bottle neck is everything you listed.

I had figured as much, I built this back in 2008 was just wondering on the off chance that there might be something I could do to at least get something better in dungeons, I can do them but it would be nice to be a bit more fluid. (I work with what I have)

Swedemon.4670:

Your bottleneck would be in the following order:

Video Card and CPU (a tie)
32bit OS (32bit has issues in GW2)
Memory (at least XP is low memory)

What is your budget? What model power supply do you have? Are you open to swapping parts/building your own?

My budget is currently nothing, I do plan on upgrading but not soon. When I do it will be close to a 1kWatt PS, newer video card to match an i5 quad, with ~8G DDR3 memory, problem is just no budget at the moment for it. Yes, I do build my own/know how to build my own. Was wondering if there was anything I could do with the current system to help it a long a little.

Thanks for the answers.

Edit: I did download a couple programs and saw both the GPU and CPU actually working (Close to 100%) so, I guess that had answered my questions before the posts. Just the system, not a current problem with the game.

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

Well if you’re stuck with what you got…

I’m assuming you dropped all eye candy to low? Your resolution to low? Shadows off… Shaders low. NVidia options on lowest or application controlled. Confirm background programs on your desktop are removed (Start menu > Run… > Enter “msconfig” to disable extra junk that runs).

Carefully research overclocking CPU/GPU. For an older system it’s always good to clear dust which can make cards overheat and throttle to slower speeds. Oh, and you don’t need 1kw PSU unless your going for Tri-SLI or something crazy

Calm Snorlax.5308

Well if you’re stuck with what you got…

I’m assuming you dropped all eye candy to low? Your resolution to low? Shadows off… Shaders low. NVidia options on lowest or application controlled. Confirm background programs on your desktop are removed (Start menu > Run… > Enter “msconfig” to disable extra junk that runs).

Carefully research overclocking CPU/GPU. For an older system it’s always good to clear dust which can make cards overheat and throttle to slower speeds. Oh, and you don’t need 1kw PSU unless your going for Tri-SLI or something crazy

All of that was already done :P And the 1kw PSU is cheap for the amount of flexibility it gives. Always leave room to upgrade.

Posted by: suzuka.2694

suzuka.2694

some people (myself included) have noticed improvements by disabling sound/music in game. you can do this by adding using -nosound and -nomusic in the the shortcut target. having no music isnt so bad, but no sound at all might be different. anyways, you can try em and see what happens.

Core i7-950 @ 3.8 GHz | EVGA X58 3-Way SLI | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 (stock speeds) w/ 12.8 CAP 3
12 GB (3 × 4 GB) Patriot Gamer 2 DDR3 1600 | 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD | Windows 7 Professional
Game performance is great with this rig.

Posted by: Suzaku.7852

Suzaku.7852

some people (myself included) have noticed improvements by disabling sound/music in game. you can do this by adding using -nosound and -nomusic in the the shortcut target. having no music isnt so bad, but no sound at all might be different. anyways, you can try em and see what happens.

This will certainly help in low-end configurations. Whilst most won’t even think its something that has anything to do with performance, it’s an entire rendering process you can disable giving just that bit more headroom.

Posted by: suzuka.2694

suzuka.2694

for me the performance gained wasn’t so much FPS as it helped reduce my camera stuttering when moving the camera around. my camera movements seem much more fluid with the music disabled. disabling the sound, however, did not seem to have a noticeable impact.

Core i7-950 @ 3.8 GHz | EVGA X58 3-Way SLI | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 (stock speeds) w/ 12.8 CAP 3
12 GB (3 × 4 GB) Patriot Gamer 2 DDR3 1600 | 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD | Windows 7 Professional
Game performance is great with this rig.