in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: unknowable.8470

unknowable.8470

I am running a 3770k
780gtx
16gb of ddr3 1:1 at 1600
256gb vertex 4 main drive
off a z77 Asus Sabertooth motherboard.

And even on a perfectly clean installation of windows and with the latest drivers I get terrible framerates and my CPU usage at BEST barely goes above 30-38% on all cores with my graphics card’s usage rarely going over 60%

What gives? (and by horrible I mean sub 60fps, ~45fps in crown pavilion and ~45fps in lions arch, 60fps in open areas but a sharp drop to 50fps 45fps when rotating, turning vsynch off gives me ~140fps until I rotate the camera where it stutters briefly and drops down to 45fps in any area before going back up.)
Big Zergs net me around 30-40fps in wvw and dragon fights. 40 is lucky.

Driving me nuts that this is still not looking to be improved in any way since release.

Oh and whenever the camera turns and the fps turns both the cpu and gpu usage percentages drop about 20%

I mean seriously my computer can run metro last light on max settings… and the cpu is no slouch.

Here is my Dxdiag output
http://pastebin.com/SJWRAANa

Low CPU/GPU usage AND low fps

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

You should be able to get 55-60 (vsynced) in LA.
Turn reflections to Terrain and Sky, leave everything else maxed even supersampling.

Relfecitons are bugged and have been bugged for ages.

I run the game at 3200×1800 downsampled with max settings and supersampling . with the exception of reflections. The only times im not in the 55-60 FPS mark is WvW whcih is normal. in wvw i get anywhere from as low as 20 in huge EB zergs, to 60 in smaller group battles.
WvW cullign settings are:
Character limit : highest
Texture Limit : Medium (low in EB sized zergs)

The low FPS is down to the game engine bottlenecking. A super fast OC’d CPU can help in the situations where a thread maxes out, but when the game engine become the bottleneck there isnt really much u can do.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

unknowable.8470

I run at 1440p
I can do that but it still dips to 40 when turning in lions arch so I have kept reflections on all for the moment.
I turn shadows down to High and it stops the framerate drop from being as drastic in open world situations.

Oh and I just turned off player names always showing and I got an extra 10-15fps in zergs r_r
Reminds me of during the first two betas where if you hovered over the toolbar it would drop your framerate by about 5-10 fps.
or how even now having any window open does massive damage to the framerate.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Looks normal to me.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

That looks fine, honestly. You won’t see high CPU use because GW can’t make use of all threads, just 3, so it shouldn’t go above 40% or so (3/8). As for GPU use, the game doesn’t need an entire 780 to render everything.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

unknowable.8470

Interesting use of the word fine, if I am not able to max out the graphics card of cpu and get lower than 60fps this is not exactly fine on a system like this.

ah well, if it is how it is it is how it is. I really do hope arenanet do some engine optimization at some point though because that is not really great on the grand performance scale of things.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Interesting use of the word fine, if I am not able to max out the graphics card of cpu and get lower than 60fps this is not exactly fine on a system like this.

ah well, if it is how it is it is how it is. I really do hope arenanet do some engine optimization at some point though because that is not really great on the grand performance scale of things.

Imagine how bad it is for the rest of us with slower PCs.
Besides heavy workarounds they havent even acknowledged the problem much less promise any real optimizations/engine improvements so dont hold your breath.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

SolarNova.1052

TBH i stoped playing GW2 now pritty much. I pop on now and then just to ..well i end up doing nothing most the time lol. I just dont feel the need to play GW2 anymore, specialy with the performance issues. Everytime i go to WvW and drop down to 20-35 fps i get that sinking feeling ..like..“why the hell have i spent almost £3700* on my rig in my room to get this kinda performance”.

Im currently beta testing Firefall and FFXIV ARR. Aswell as playing through Crysis 3 and Metro LL. All of which use my rig better than GW2 does.

*total cost of everything computer related ..so Display, speakers, the PC, the perphierals etc, all going by prices when new.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

With the removal of culling in PvE coming it will be interesting to see how many more people have performance issues.
I feel your pain Solar. Spending money on hardware that isn’t being utilized to it’s potential is disheartening to say the least.
The removal of culling will, again, put the burden onto the end user for performance. Why remove culling when there are so many performance based issues still. They are passing the buck instead of addressing the poor engine itself.
With no foreseeable “fix” for the engine coming and culling being removed there will be more people who leave this game for bigger and better things.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

TBH i stoped playing GW2 now pritty much. I pop on now and then just to ..well i end up doing nothing most the time lol. I just dont feel the need to play GW2 anymore, specialy with the performance issues..

I’m pretty much getting that way myself.

Tried just about everything but a patch ruined my day a month or so ago. I don’t play for longer than maybe thirty minutes; I keep hoping something will change to improve the FPS but it never does

Looks like it’s time to move on…

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

I am running a 3770k
780gtx
16gb of ddr3 1:1 at 1600
256gb vertex 4 main drive
off a z77 Asus Sabertooth motherboard.

And even on a perfectly clean installation of windows and with the latest drivers I get terrible framerates and my CPU usage at BEST barely goes above 30-38% on all cores with my graphics card’s usage rarely going over 60%

What gives? (and by horrible I mean sub 60fps, ~45fps in crown pavilion and ~45fps in lions arch, 60fps in open areas but a sharp drop to 50fps 45fps when rotating, turning vsynch off gives me ~140fps until I rotate the camera where it stutters briefly and drops down to 45fps in any area before going back up.)
Big Zergs net me around 30-40fps in wvw and dragon fights. 40 is lucky.

Driving me nuts that this is still not looking to be improved in any way since release.

Oh and whenever the camera turns and the fps turns both the cpu and gpu usage percentages drop about 20%

I mean seriously my computer can run metro last light on max settings… and the cpu is no slouch.

Here is my Dxdiag output
http://pastebin.com/SJWRAANa

You think that you will have two AUDIO devices and everything will be fine ?

go to bios and disable the onboard audio and use only the asus pci audio device mate . the game opens many handlers for audio and as you can see in my post the onboard audio device “steal” cpu power https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/7-years-old-PC-without-LAG-in-WWW-1080p/first#post2643522 and the audio is the “guilty” for the lag spikes in game

or at least choose the asus from the options in the sound ( by default the gaem is using the default and propably it is using your onboard audio – aka realtek and not the pci aka asus xonar )

(edited by Reborn.2934)

unknowable.8470

go to bios and disable the onboard audio and use only the asus pci audio device mate . the game opens many handlers for audio and as you can see in my post the onboard audio device “steal” cpu power https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/7-years-old-PC-without-LAG-in-WWW-1080p/first#post2643522 and the audio is the “guilty” for the lag spikes in game

or at least choose the asus from the options in the sound ( by default the gaem is using the default and propably it is using your onboard audio – aka realtek and not the pci aka asus xonar )

Well see thing is as I said the cpu usage is still low overall. The game is using my xonar card not the realtek both by selection and by well, the obvious part where it wouldn’t be outputting to my speakers or my front port jack (headphones)
I will disable it in the bios on the off-chance that it does something however I actually use the realtek outputs for my voip channel handling so I can record things separately without visualizing a card.

Hmmm I really do think arenanet should be a tad worried about EQnext, they won’t loose their pvp crowd to it but given that it is free and has interesting solutions to problems they face. Even if it only does a quarter of what it aims to do, no amount of “you can come back at any time” will make people want to come back.

This said they are improving with the last couple of updates, I just think the base game needs a bit of a polish. I mean does anyone else remember that before launch they were saying it would ship with dx10.1 support (which would have meant better performance on newer cards and much improved lighting, shadow and shader support if handled correctly) and then it was said that it would be added later and now it is nearly a year later than that.
Time will tell, I got a lot out of this game already time wise even with months and months of hiatus but I hope that it can find it’s ultimate ground before something bigger comes along.

SolarNova.1052

The thing with me personaly is…. I will try out a game ..one way or another.. without putting a penny into it. If the game seems worthy ill buy it..
GW2 i got the chance to play before purchasing it. It ‘seemed’ ok and it was only a one time buy. However to continue paying into it through their cash shop it would have to have been worth it once again as i got to the late and end game…. it isnt, so apart from the initial purchase Anet havnt got anymore money from me and thats alllll on them.

Its the same with FXIV ARR, i was in Beta 3 and now the open Beta 4. its a ‘good’ game, but its not sub worthy, not as it stands. So i wont be playing it once it goes live.

Eve online, the game itself i have no gripes about, i played it for like 3 years, till innevitiably i couldnt stand spending the time on it each day grinding rats to pay for my ships. And i hated the idea of managing a base/factory and working markets which is the best and only way to support a active combat lifestyle. So i ended my sub.

WoW..yes i played WoW :P .. back in Vanilla and TBC i liked it and payed for it without hessitation, it wasnt the most complex game but it was fun. Then came WotLK, the game went down a notch, i started considering ending my sub..by the time the WotLK patches entered its midlife ..i quit the game, it got to easy and the population continued to get more …agrivating. I went back a few times during transitions to Cata but by that point the game was even worse so it only lasted 1 months worth of sub time.

Bassicaly, nowerdays wioth the costs of ..well everything.. a game HAS to be polished, it HAS to be worth it. If theres a problem it HAS to show improvments in that area. GW2 is not doing so.

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

Well see thing is as I said the cpu usage is still low overall. The game is using my xonar card not the realtek both by selection and by well, the obvious part where it wouldn’t be outputting to my speakers or my front port jack (headphones)
I will disable it in the bios on the off-chance that it does something however I actually use the realtek outputs for my voip channel handling so I can record things separately without visualizing a card.

Hmmm I really do think arenanet should be a tad worried about EQnext, they won’t loose their pvp crowd to it but given that it is free and has interesting solutions to problems they face. Even if it only does a quarter of what it aims to do, no amount of “you can come back at any time” will make people want to come back.

This said they are improving with the last couple of updates, I just think the base game needs a bit of a polish. I mean does anyone else remember that before launch they were saying it would ship with dx10.1 support (which would have meant better performance on newer cards and much improved lighting, shadow and shader support if handled correctly) and then it was said that it would be added later and now it is nearly a year later than that.
Time will tell, I got a lot out of this game already time wise even with months and months of hiatus but I hope that it can find it’s ultimate ground before something bigger comes along.

ok you have a point , but since the game has an dx9 based engine ( and i think not optimized for dx10,11) give a shoot and run it in xp sp3 compatibility mode the game ( right click on the gw2 shortcut and choose under the compatibility tab the xp sp3 option ) and post here if you continue have problem