Low FPS. Game Runs like hell. How to fix?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: MMoGeek.6273

MMoGeek.6273

Hello, the game is stuck at 23 fps & refuses to go any higher. Making it utter hell to play. My pc is not weak.

Just tested GTA 5, getting 70 fps on max. Fallout 4, 90 max. ESO, 78 fps on max, SWTOR, 140 fps, Arma 3, 55 fps & Ark Survival, 70 fps. Guild Wars 2, 23 fps, on all settings. How can I fix? Thanks!

My PC Specs

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz.

GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5.

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GTX 980.

Corsair H100i GTX Water Cooling.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666.

XFX Pro 750 Watt.

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB(OS).

1 TB Sata HDD @ 7200rpm. (Storage).

500GB Sata HDD@ 7200rpm. (Storage).

23" LED full HD Monitor.

I came for the Loot.
Stayed for the Grind

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

You are aware that something “running like hell” would instigate that it runs really fast, not really slow, right?

Which client are you running?

Posted by: MMoGeek.6273

MMoGeek.6273

You are aware that something “running like hell” would instigate that it runs really fast, not really slow, right?

My mistake, I thought the Low FPS before the running like hell would be clear enough to understand the hell part meant running negatively.

I tried both the 32bit & 64bit client.

I found a fix, why it fixes it I have no idea. Go to the game directory and run the client in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode. I went from a locked 23 fps to 60 + fps.

It seems to be the only thing that fixes the low fps. When I unchecked it, back to low fps city,

I came for the Loot.
Stayed for the Grind

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

My mistake, I thought the Low FPS before the running like hell would be clear enough to understand the hell part meant running negatively.

I tried both the 32bit & 64bit client.

I found a fix, why it fixes it I have no idea. Go to the game directory and run the client in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode. I went from a locked 23 fps to 60 + fps.

It seems to be the only thing that fixes the low fps. When I unchecked it, back to low fps city,

well, it pretty well known that putting in setting xp compatibility mode does seem to run a different code path. It usually the recommended setting when running wine.

I guess send a bug report I guess. huge code bases have strange behaviors

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

This is off topic, but what OP said is actually correct. The idiom “like hell” means poorly or bad. So saying it was running like hell means it was running poorly…

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

The idiom “like hell”

You’ve never heard someone tell someone else they better “Run like hell”?

Anyway,

OP, If you could download GPU-Z and take a screenshot like this we could possible rule out the most common problem, GPU Bus Interface Speed.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The idiom “like hell”

You’ve never heard someone tell someone else they better “Run like hell”?

Sounds very American? Don’t most people say “Run like the wind” if they want someone to run fast? Just because people say that doesn’t make it a correct use of the idiom. (Though of course language changes over time). To me it’s in line with how americans say “she killed the performance” or something similar to mean that they did an amazing job. Whereas in pretty much any other English speaking country to say that someone “killed it” would mean they did awfully. Which is a more logical use of the word based on its denotative meaning.