Low FPS in Cities and Crowded Areas

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Hello, I was wondering if there’s anything I could do to improve my frame rate in general. I’ve recently started to have frame rate issues around last month (especially in raids) and I would like to try and fix it or get advice on what parts I’d have to upgrade in my PC.

My issues are that sometimes the beginning of raid encounters like Vale Guardian will lag for the first 10 seconds, or that my frame rate is 10-20 in places like Lions Arch.

I built this PC in January 2015 and have a basic understanding of computers.

Attachments:

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

Id first start by lowering Reflections, I keep them on none.

Reflections are HIGHLY inefficient in their implementation: Under every map(save a few like HoTM and Mistlock) is a giant body of water. It’s there so when they want to make a lake or large body of water, they dip the terrain level into the water level.

The problem is that the water is constantly reflecting everything, even when you cant see any water.

Next up: What’s your CPU?

Gw2 is much more reliant on your CPUs single core/threaded strength than it is on GPU rendering ability.

If you have an AMD CPU..you’re probably out of luck unless you can Overclock it a hefty amount.

Edit: Also, you have lots of stuff running. Skype, TS3 and Chrome? Definitely eating away your CPU cylces.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

(edited by MrFayth.3546)

TurtleDragon.3108

Id first start by lowering Reflections, I keep them on none.

Reflections are HIGHLY inefficient in their implementation: Under every map(save a few like HoTM and Mistlock) is a giant body of water. It’s there so when they want to make a lake or large body of water, they dip the terrain level into the water level.

The problem is that the water is constantly reflecting everything, even when you cant see any water.

Next up: What’s your CPU?

Gw2 is much more reliant on your CPUs single core/threaded strength than it is on GPU rendering ability.

If you have an AMD CPU..you’re probably out of luck unless you can Overclock it a hefty amount.

Edit: Also, you have lots of stuff running. Skype, TS3 and Chrome? Definitely eating away your CPU cylces.

Alright thanks, I will try lowering the reflections.

My CPU is an i7-4790K

http://imgur.com/JhK67yQ

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Play at fullscreen resolution, fullscreen windowed has a hit of 10-15fps. Put fps limiter to “unlimited”.

Disable reflections, shadows, best texture filtering and put character model limit to “low”.

Go to Nvidia Panel and create a gw2 profile with:
- Anisotropic filter to x4
- Textures to “high performance”
- Energy mod to “maximum”

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

TurtleDragon.3108

Play at fullscreen resolution, fullscreen windowed has a hit of 10-15fps. Put fps limiter to “unlimited”.

Disable reflections, shadows, best texture filtering and put character model limit to “low”.

Go to Nvidia Panel and create a gw2 profile with:
- Anisotropic filter to x4
- Textures to “high performance”
- Energy mod to “maximum”

That helped a lot. Thanks.