Mabook Pro Retina Feedback request

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Eragon Tanker.3281

Eragon Tanker.3281

I am looking for some feed back from players uning the Mac client on a Macbook Pro Retina.

Video settings using (low/med/high/ultra) and your FPS your getting.

I need to replace my Laptop ASAP and want to get away from Windows and get into a Mac.

Onlything stopping me in the past was GW2.

Thanks!

p.s. im looking at a 8 gig, i7, SSD 256 with Nvidia GTX650M (base retina modle)

Posted by: Deimos.6493

Deimos.6493

I have base 2.3 i7 but with 16gb of ram (which does not actually matter for GW2).
See attached screenshots for settings and static FPS.
If you like better graphics, you can use the first settings in any PvE without a problem.
As I am mostly doing WvW I use the second settings, and it’s usually about 25-30 fps, but in big zergz it’s not very comfortable, as it can go down to 15 fps.
Also I cap FPS at 30, to not heat the machine much.

Attachments:

(edited by Deimos.6493)

Eragon Tanker.3281

Thanks! This is helpfull. Is your machine using the Nvidia GTX 650M?

Im sure this will be an upgrade from my current Alienware

i7 Q720 1.60 GHz
4 gig ram
Radeon 5870 HD, 1 gig GPU

I get 30-40 FPS on med settings in PVE, 20-30 at best in WvWvW and a crappy 20> in LA. I usualy cut the graphics down to “best prefromance” to keep the heat down but that makes the game look like crap.

Deimos.6493

Thanks! This is helpfull. Is your machine using the Nvidia GTX 650M?

Im sure this will be an upgrade from my current Alienware

i7 Q720 1.60 GHz
4 gig ram
Radeon 5870 HD, 1 gig GPU

I get 30-40 FPS on med settings in PVE, 20-30 at best in WvWvW and a crappy 20> in LA. I usualy cut the graphics down to “best prefromance” to keep the heat down but that makes the game look like crap.

Yes it’s GT 650M. (not GTX, retina MBP have GT)
I still use bootcamp for WvW evenings thought, as I can use the highest settings and still get 30 fps in huge WvW battles.

Eragon Tanker.3281

How much HD space does W7 take up on your SSD? (wondering, only comes with a 256 as is)

Is “bootcamp” the best way to run W7? I was informed by an Apple rep there is another program out there to boot into windows on Apples.

Sorry for all the questions, realy appreciate the help.

Deimos.6493

How much HD space does W7 take up on your SSD? (wondering, only comes with a 256 as is)

Is “bootcamp” the best way to run W7? I was informed by an Apple rep there is another program out there to boot into windows on Apples.

Sorry for all the questions, realy appreciate the help.

I have made 80GB partition for Windows, just in case. With just W7 64 bit and Guild Wars 2 installed, about 50GB is used. (hibernation and sleep files use about 20GB of space with 16GB RAM)

I don’t see any reason not to use a Bootcamp, as it’s just a helper app to get started installing Windows, create partition, boot into it etc… also it installs all needed drivers for your machine, you can just updated the NVIDIA graphic driver to the latest one.

Eragon Tanker.3281

Hows the Retina display look with the game?

Posted by: The Mad God.9185

The Mad God.9185

I run the game on high settings. Forget the exact resolution, but it was the first option that was at like 2000 by something. Not the highest resolution, but close to it. I get 30 to 50 fps depending on the area. In W v W its 30 to 35 fps. I highly recommend this laptop.

Eragon Tanker.3281

I run the game on high settings. Forget the exact resolution, but it was the first option that was at like 2000 by something. Not the highest resolution, but close to it. I get 30 to 50 fps depending on the area. In W v W its 30 to 35 fps. I highly recommend this laptop.

Thanks for the input Mad God, I REALY REALY want to get away from Windows if I can and this game is the only tether……

When you say recommend this laptop are you refering to the base modle iMac book Pro Retina?

The only upside I see to the next modle is more SSD and slightly faster i7.

Posted by: davevangorkum.7091

davevangorkum.7091

Hey guys, interesting to read all your different stories here. Too bad a lot of them aren’t really optimistic, but I guess ArenaNet will address the issues soon. I ordered a MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago and it will arrive on the 9th of januari, but I’m having doubts whether or not it will be able to run Guild Wars 2. My specs are:

• 2,3-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost tot 3,3 GHz
• 16 GB 1600-MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• Intel HD Graphics 4000
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB GDDR5

Thanks a lot in advance and I’m looking forward to seeing you guys ingame maybe!

(edited by davevangorkum.7091)

Deimos.6493

Hey guys, interesting to read all your different stories here. Too bad a lot of them aren’t really optimistic, but I guess ArenaNet will address the issues soon. I ordered a MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago and it will arrive on the 9th of januari, but I’m having doubts whether or not it will be able to run Guild Wars 2. My specs are:

• Intel HD Graphics 4000

Thanks a lot in advance and I’m looking forward to seeing you guys ingame maybe!

Thats exactly my specs, see above what I posted.

Deimos.6493

Just getting into WvW and seeing 30-35 fps does not say anything, no way you will get 30 fps on high settings with 2k+ resolution in big battles, try fighting 40 vs 40, or standing at the gate being smashed at.

Posted by: davevangorkum.7091

davevangorkum.7091

• Intel HD Graphics 4000

Thats exactly my specs, see above what I posted.

Ah yes sorry I wasn’t reading well enough. Seems like I have to go with Bootcamp too to get some good results. Will do, thanks for the info!

Posted by: ccsylvester.1603

ccsylvester.1603

My specs are as follows:
MBPr 15"
2.6 ghz i7
16 gigs RAM
256 ssd
nVidia geforce 650m

On “best performance” setting I get about 120-130 fps at 1680×1050, but that is with graphically everything set on low. I cranked most of the graphics to high with the exception of shaders and shadows, and I run at about 40-60 FPS depending on the city that I am in. For smooth, consistent performance I capped the FPS at 30. I also did this so my CPU and GPU aren’t running at 100% every time I log on because I play a few hours a day.