Mac Client Crashes on Yosemite and El Capitan

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: DottoraQN.5369

DottoraQN.5369

Hello gw2 community. Tonight I crashed four times within trying to do the Octovine meta event and the Dragon’s Stand meta. Luckily, I was able to complete both, but I’ve recruited all of my mac user friends and tried some trouble shooting. We’ve discovered that the crashing issues only happen on Yosemite(2011 mbp) and El Capitan(2015 mbp), because my roommate runs Mavericks(2011 mbp) and she doesn’t have any issues. I’m not sure what the next steps are, but if anyone else has problems with the two newer mac OSs, what did you do to fix it or are you still struggling?

Thanks to the Anet team for being awesome!

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

GW2 on the Mac is pretty dire. I use El Capitan but I used to use Mavericks and I remember problems with that too. In fact, I remember upgrading to El Capitan and hoping that it fixed some GW2 problems. It didn’t.

From my perspective it seems that GW2 is just getting worse on the Mac. When I first started playing, back almost three years ago, I could play happily without a crash and with lovely graphics as well. The game has got much worse since then. At first I could cope with just turning the graphics down a bit but, these days, I play with the absolute lowest settings and I am still likely to crash after a big event.

I don’t think it is our operating systems so much as the fact that GW2 is getting bigger and we are restricted to only 32 bits. We get out of memory errors and then crash. You will see that there is a 64 bit version for the PC crowd as they were also experiencing the memory errors. Unfortunately it does not seem to be possible for Anet to provide us with a 64 bit version.

You might like to browse this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-we-please-get-a-working-Mac-Client-Merged/first

I am sure there are people there using Yosemite Mavericks and still having issues.

(edited by Figlilly.3907)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Just because one person running Mavericks isn’t having issues doesn’t mean it doesn’t crash on Mavericks. People were having crashes back then as well. There are some people who are just lucky and don’t experience crashes often (myself included). It could be due to the hardware, settings, environment, etc. A test base of 3 doesn’t scientifically show that it is a software issue.

Posted by: Grahl.5796

Grahl.5796

I just upgraded to HOT yesterday (Mac Client on El Capitan 2013 MBP). Since then I’ve crashed about 5 times. Before upgrading to HOT I didn’t crash once in the last 2 weeks since picking up playing again. This upgrade was expensive, and it took 2 weeks for me to decide to take the plunge. I understand there will be bugs, but for that kind of $$ I’m hoping there will be a fix for this right quick.

Macbook Pro 2013 – OSX El Capitan
2.7G i7, 16GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GT 650M
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP669

(edited by Grahl.5796)

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594