Mac Client stopped working for good.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Thomas Wilde.9274

Thomas Wilde.9274

Yesterday the GW2 Mac Client randomly kicked me out. I then tried to restart it and the programme comes up on the dock but then there is no window at all. I tried removing the .dat files to the advice of the support team and have even tried re-installing.

Once I download the installer however, the actual GW2 client ceases to open, meaning I can’t even open the client to re-download the game. I have been back and forth with a support ticket open but they keep suggesting the exact same approach by removing the local .dat file and .plist files from the library.

Has anyone has anything remotely similar on Mac? I have seen other forum posts regarding this issue which seem completely unresolved and it’s making me think I’ll be unable to play GW2 again with HoT on the horizon…

If anyone has any advice or experienced anything similar please let me know.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Mac client is big mess and arena net seem to not care about it. Many problem over last year client get worse. My suggestion if can use Bootcamp. I hate to say but I did this and game run great on my Mac. I only use Bootcamp for GW2 and nothing else. I had to give up on Mac (3 year) beta client because to many bug and always broke. Arena net does not seem to care about this at all and should have shame the way they treat Mac customer. Also company that made GW2 port now owned by Nvidia so who can know what will happen now.

Only other thing is try thing is this sticky if you do not want to do Bootcamp.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/MAC-Basic-Beta-Client-Troubleshooting/first#post2480238

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

This is the step you need to try:
you can try to delete the contents of the gw2 data folder, it’s a pain to get to the right one: this step is a general fix for many tp and graphics issues, even without the previous steps however, it will lose all saved log in/password and in-game settings.
To access this:
1 Click on the “Finder” icon located in your dock or the desktop of your computer to make “Finder” the active program in the finder menu bar.
2 Hold down the “Option” key on your keyboard while clicking “Go” in the finder menu bar. A drop-down will appear.
3 While still holding down the “Option” key, click on “Library” in the “Go” drop-down.
4 Once in the Library folder click on Application Support > Guild Wars 2
5 Move the entire Guild Wars 2 folder to the trash and then empty the trash.
The next time you launch Guild Wars 2 it will recreate the recently deleted folder.

If that doesn’t work then there’s more of a problem.

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

Man after buying gw2 ONLY because they announced that they were working on a mac client, 3 years ago and not seeing 1 single progress (it still has the stupid mac beta stamp on it) I lost all my hope.

I quit the game probably 3 times because it’s hopeless, and what’s worse is that my mbp has no chance of bootcamping what so ever (cd-room doesn’t work and parallels/usb booting is not viable).

I really like the game and know a lot of friends that play it, but it’s just sad that i cant enjoy WvW without having terrible fps spikes. For example, I have to set my framerate limit to 30 or else i have fps spikes all over the place (sometimes even with the 30 fps limit set i still get those spikes).

Anyways i feel cheated on by arenanet, I made many appeals on the forum, and so did all the users, just to be ignored and even get a warning for being upset over it.

But anyways it’s hopeless. The game is realeasing its expansion and I really don’t want to buy it if they have 0 respect for me and my fellow mac users. I didn’t buy a MBP for gaming, that’s on me. But announcing a game client for mac and just abandoning it makes me feel as cheated on as politicians that we elect (especially when you pay for the game)

(edited by WesleySnipes.3917)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I quit the game probably 3 times because it’s hopeless, and what’s worse is that my mbp has no chance of bootcamping what so ever (cd-room doesn’t work and parallels/usb booting is not viable).

You can actually install bootcamp/windows without a cd rom on a MBP that can’t boot USB’s. I’ve done it with my 2011 MBP. It’s a bit of a complicated process, but it is doable. It involves installing Windows in a virtual box which is free software (you just need the iso on your dekstop to do that), and then altering some of the files in that windows virtual machine. Then you create a copy of that windows installation using WinClone. Begin the bootcamp process so that it creates a separate partition for windows. Boot back into mac and use WinClone to paste the copy of windows you made onto the freshly made partition. So if you really want to install Windows to play the game it can be done and I would be willing to give you more detailed instructions.

Posted by: Shyle.4692

Shyle.4692

I experienced the same problem and what solved it for me was to first delete the game client (drag the game from the application folder to the trash) and then delete gw2 folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2

After I did this I was able to reinstall and start the launcher.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

I experience the thing you’re describing every time a new patch is released, and in my case – after making sure there’s no GW2 process running already (because if there is, and it has crashed, you won’t be able to start another one, safest bet if you don’t know how to check this is to restart your computer) – the only thing I need to do is to start it up and wait. The icon is there in the dock, but no launcher window appears. I usually go and make myself a cup of coffee, read the paper, watch the news. It will eventually start and the client window will be on my screen when I return, but it might take some time.

So even if it’s been a month since you posted this thread (not sure why it was resurrected now, but I guess it fits in the current discussion about our hopes and wishes for a native Mac client) and I don’t know if you solved the problem back then or if it’s still an issue, try that next time it happens. No re-install, no deleting files, just restart your computer, launch the game and wait for a bit.