[Mac] Guild Wars 2 will not run

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mitha.7039

Mitha.7039

Got a new mac, tried to install the game. The installer finishes the installation and the Guild Wars 2 icon pops up in the doc. Then nothing happens. I tried letting it go for 8 hours, and nothing happened. Tried all the troubleshooting steps – same result. Tried a known good client from a past installation from one of my backups – same result. Help!

Sylvari roleplayers and fangirls: We’re suckers for the underdog…

Mitha.7039

Tried pulling over a known good client from another machine. Still will not open any windows. It doesn’t appear to be a client problem, it’s something wrong with the new machine, but this is the only application that won’t launch. All other applications launch just fine. I’ve done permissions repair, I’ve reset the PRAM, I’ve tried running the client repair – nothing works. It’s like it’s launching the launcher but it’s on some window somewhere else that doesn’t exist and I can’t see it. Also when I run repair it doesn’t DO anything, just like the program itself, it just seems to be an open application not doing anything until you tell it to close.

(edited by Mitha.7039)

Posted by: Dazka.7123

Dazka.7123

Same here. I am using mac too. I’m OS X 10.9.5.
The game just suddenly crushed and I can’t launch the client again right after that.
The window of the client is “blue” or “invisible”, I just can’t do anything to it. I keep closing and restarting the client but it doesn’t work. I guess it may not be the problem of our mac instead it should be the problem of the new update version of gw2.

Mitha.7039

It’s great to know it’s not just my machine, but I’m still unable to play the game on the new machine.

Posted by: Bacon.7035

Bacon.7035

This happened to me today. The application is ‘open’, but is showing nothing–or a ‘blue window’. I’ve had no problems with GW2 earlier, and it has been running great for months. I even played yesterday. What’s with this sudden brokenness, is there a new update or something? I certainly haven’t changed anything on my Mac since last night.

Running the game on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB. OSX Yosemite 10.10.4.

Bacön

Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Bacon.7035)

Posted by: Zipanu.3947

Zipanu.3947

I just now experienced the same problem on my 13-inch Macbook Pro Retina from late 2013, running OS X 10.10.4. No client window pops up and I have to force quit to remove the GW2 icon from my dock.

Thing is, I don’t really know how to start troubleshooting because I logged in for the daily login reward today right when it reset, and absolutely nothing on my computer has changed between then and now. I have experienced similar client problems before, but restarting my computer solved them just fine.

I’m not very computer savvy, so if anyone could at least confirm whether the problem is with my computer or the GW2 client, I would be really grateful.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

Same thing here, it worked yesterday (and two years back) but not today. Running the client just shows it in the dock, nothing else happens. I’ve tried repairing the client but that just does the same thing, GW2 icon in the dock, terminal application just sitting there waiting to complete the repair.

MBP Retina 2014 running OSX 10.9.5.

OP can you change the topic please, just remove “on new system” since this is a more widespread issue it seems. And everyone please file a ticket for this so support actually get to know there’s a problem, I don’t think they read this forum.

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

Same here. Ran as a charm yesterday but not today. imac 2011 27".

[Underworld][ZERK]

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

[Underworld][ZERK]

Mitha.7039

So after building a new user account, moving everything over, repairing permissions, and running repair tool on the game, it’s finally working…. BUT ONLY when I run the repair tool. It won’t launch normally. And if I… say… leave the repair tool running over night to play the game the next day, even if it sits there on the Guild Wars 2 launcher tool, it treats it as logged in and as soon as you get to the character select screen the character is moving at ultra-fast animation speed. This bug continues in game. While it still takes the normal amount of time to perform an action, E.G. 3 seconds or whatever to gather from a tree or whatever, it takes just a tap of the arrow key to cross the entire map because the walking animation – and all the other animations – are running at super fast speed. I haven’t tried to PVP like this because I would be literally speed-running into a wall and that seems vaguely hackish so I’m not gonna do this. But…. it seems potentially exploitable… but I’ve managed to reproduce it twice now…

Mitha.7039

OP can you change the topic please, just remove “on new system” since this is a more widespread issue it seems. And everyone please file a ticket for this so support actually get to know there’s a problem, I don’t think they read this forum.

Done.

Posted by: robertjan.2197

robertjan.2197

Had the same problem before. Try running the game by going to the application folder and double clicking on the app. This worked for me.

Posted by: Zipanu.3947

Zipanu.3947

I tried the repair tool too on my existing account and game files. It took hours to get it done! I let it work through the night and I woke up to find the Mac Client waiting for me. Logging in, I experienced the same problem as Mitha with characters moving at ultra-speed. This has happened to me before in the menu, but this time it continued in-game for every character, item and even the loading circle. Anything with an animation was going batkitten, but turning my computer on/off seems to have fixed things and right now I will tentatively say everything with my GW2 is working, except that I have a few more grey hairs.

PS. I did not know Anet was so fond of batkittens. Love it.

Update: I tried running the client again and I’m back with insane speed problems, but I think another restart might fix it. However, this is getting annoying and I hope it’s fixed before HoT is released.

(edited by Zipanu.3947)

Mitha.7039

Had the same problem before. Try running the game by going to the application folder and double clicking on the app. This worked for me.

This didn’t work for me. Loading it from Launchpad or directly from the applications folder means Guild Wars 2 icon appears in the dock but no window opens. The only way to get any window at all to open for Guild Wars 2 is to run the repair utility.

I am using a 14,2 iMac running 10.10.4 Yosemite. Config: 3.2 Ghz, quad core CPU i5, 16 GB RAM, Late 2013 model, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755m 1024 MB, HD: 3tb Fusion Drive, brand new machine.

Ticket: 1634286

(edited by Mitha.7039)

Posted by: Dimebag.9085

Dimebag.9085

i had this exact issue since the last update and it was driving me up the wall! finally managed to actually get in to the game today after uninstalling and redownloading multiple times.

Try doing the following

Delete the GW2 app as normal, then;
Click out of any windows so all you have is your Finder.
Click Go, Hold down Alt, click Library
Find the Application Support Folder for GW2 and drag that into the trash.
Empty trash, and try again.

i know this may seem logical to some but i never even thought about it actually making a difference, but it worked perfectly, although i am in game at the moment but running the streaming client. i will let you know if i have any extra issues

(edited by Dimebag.9085)

Posted by: Striker.6391

Striker.6391

I have recently attempted to download the game after several months of not playing it. I got a new machine, a mid 2012 macbook pro I believe and I got everything installed but when I click the GW2 icon nothing happens. It stays on my dock but nothing else happens after that. I to have also let it sit like this for hours and I also uninstalled/reinstalled, shut down/restart my computer. Nothing seems to work, now that I know I’m not alone I hope this issue gets visited quickly.

Posted by: Wlee.7843

Wlee.7843

We are also experiencing the same failure on my wife’s Macbook Pro. She had no issues for well over a year, then a recent update to 10.10.4 seems to have broken Cider. We’ve tried completely reinstalling, disk repair, creating new wrappers for Wine (based on the instructions in the Gw2 wiki), repairing permissions, et al— all with no success. I’ve personally spent 12 hours trying to trouble shoot this past week and am out of things to try. Now that I understand how the client works, it seems like it’s a terrible emulation of a 32 bit windows machine in order to run DirectX. Given how widespread the problem is, I think ArenaNet should have to call the client Pre-alpha. We should not have to be dealing with these kind of issues because of lazy developers writing bad osx ports.