Massive FPS drop w/GTX 1080 since 8/9/17

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: iczek.9628

iczek.9628

Less than one hour ago (6:30pm CST) I logged in to GW2 for the first time today and noticed there was a HUGE drop in my FPS. I’m not a massive tech person but I know a little. I have a GTX 1080 with Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz. Up until today my FPS would be over 100, but lately I maxed it to 60. After logging in today my FPS is 25-40. First thing I did was update the driver as there was one for the GTX 1080. I then rebooted the computer; logged back in to GW2 and I still have the low FPS issue. I logged in to another game (Diablo 3) and noticed there was a FPS drop which leads me to believe the issue is with my computer. So, what else could it be? I run all my games at max settings and have never had an issue with this computer. It’s a ibuypower. I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks so much!

Edit: When I’m in LA my FPS drops to the teens.

(edited by iczek.9628)

Posted by: Bubbagump.4158

Bubbagump.4158

reading your post , I would reinstall the driver all together, by uninstalling the current one rebooting and then installing a new driver , if that isn’t working check and monitor
your cpu and gpu temperatures, might be getting hot and nerfing the clock speeds to cool down , if that’s the case you have a cooling problem ,, not getting enough air
and/or if your running a AIO liquid cooler , check the radiator for dust and all that,
now if that’s not the issue , check and make sure your cpu overclock is still running @speed and you aren’t noticing any instabilities I’m not really an over clocker but that’s the next thing i would check. also a dieing harddrive or SSD will cause a fps drop too. lots of things to check and troubleshoot.

Posted by: zSpew.9427

zSpew.9427

I have had this exact same issue with the gtx 970, I was able to float around 60 with a I5 cpu at 3.6ghz. No other game’s seem affected to me, but haven’t installed the latest driver, ive been running at about 10-20 after I installed some of the downloadable data after the playable point.

Tried some other games what I have been playing, these are still 60 FPS, seems like a issue with the new update. Anyone else having this problem??

(edited by zSpew.9427)

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

same problem, mine is GTX 1050 ti

Used to be able to run all ultra even amid Chak garent zerg with steady 60fps. Anet definitely borked something. I keep getting random 10-15 fps loss regardless of how much I tweak the setting.

It’s really annoying. Please fix thisss

Posted by: iczek.9628

iczek.9628

reading your post , I would reinstall the driver all together, by uninstalling the current one rebooting and then installing a new driver , if that isn’t working check and monitor
your cpu and gpu temperatures, might be getting hot and nerfing the clock speeds to cool down , if that’s the case you have a cooling problem ,, not getting enough air
and/or if your running a AIO liquid cooler , check the radiator for dust and all that,
now if that’s not the issue , check and make sure your cpu overclock is still running @speed and you aren’t noticing any instabilities I’m not really an over clocker but that’s the next thing i would check. also a dieing harddrive or SSD will cause a fps drop too. lots of things to check and troubleshoot.

Thanks so much for your reply. I download this CAM program and it reads my CPU is at 95 degrees Celsius. I Googled the ideal temp and that is pretty high. I believe I do have a liquid cooling system. I’ll take off the side of my tower and spray to to get the dust our and make sure the fans are cleaned off. I’ll report back after I do that.

Edit: I took off both sides of the tower, sprayed it with a can. I then turned the PC back on and launched GW2. My FPS is back to normal although I didn’t see any dust but it’s working as usual. The CPU temp remains around 98 decrees Celsius when playing GW2. Should I be concerned about that? If so, should I take it to a PC repair place who should to do what exactly? I really appreciate the help from this community. Thank you so much!

Edit 2: My FPS dropped it bit. It’s down to 30-60. It did improve by what I did earlier but it’s not back to what it was, 60+.

(edited by iczek.9628)

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

I remember having huge slow downs after overclocking with this game, so it might be due to bad overclocking values.