Massive lag on new system

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

So I just upgraded my system because I was hoping to be able to play this game higher than medium settings…but strangely enough my new system (which is much more powerful than my old one) runs the game worse .
Can anyone explain this to me?
Here’s just a rough description of the two systems (I will include a dxdiag file as well sop tech devs can review my current system too)

Old:
processor- amd athlon IIx4 processor (quad core) 3.0ghz
memory- 4gb
vid card- radeon hd 5570 1gb

New:
processor-AMD fx 6300 6 core 4.15 ghz
memory- 8gb
vid card- nvidia geforce gt 610 1gb (which isn’t a stellar card but it should be outperforming the old one)
This new mobo is much more efficient than my old one too and a much newer design. I’ve tried with and without overclocking, makes no difference. Just doesn’t make sense to me that an upgraded system would perform worse than an old outdated weaker system. And yes all drivers are up to date, I’ve run multiple stress tests and everything passes with flying colors. My processor is barely working at all while playing and occasionally my vid card will max out but it usually sits around 70%.

Just to note:
I have tried the suggested “fixes” in the stickies on the forums, as well as most fixes I could find on Google. I managed to squeeze out a minuscule 2 more fps….Something is definitely wrong here

Attachments:

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

Druss.6917

35 view and not a single response? Not looking promising…guess I paid a hefty price to play on bare minimum graphics just so it doesn’t feel like a slideshow…

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

vid card- nvidia geforce gt 610 1gb (which isn’t a stellar card but it should be outperforming the old one)

Is this a typo? The GT 610 is an extremely weak card mostly meant to enable light office work and media playback on machines that lack an integrated GPU.

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

when only considering gw2, your new system is actually worse than your old one.

The gt610 is significantly weaker than than a 5570 and has about the same power as the integrated graphics

For single thread centric processes (like gw2) the piledriver based fx6300 could be argued to be weaker than a 10h based athlon II x4

[ICoa] Blackgate

(edited by dodgycookies.4562)

Posted by: kelleyevans.1509

kelleyevans.1509

So I just upgraded my system because I was hoping to be able to play this game higher than medium settings…but strangely enough my new system (which is much more powerful than my old one) runs the game worse .
Can anyone explain this to me?
Here’s just a rough description of the two systems (I will include a dxdiag file as well sop tech devs can review my current system too)

Old:
processor- amd athlon IIx4 processor (quad core) 3.0ghz
memory- 4gb
vid card- radeon hd 5570 1gb

New:
processor-AMD fx 6300 6 core 4.15 ghz
memory- 8gb
This new mobo is much more efficient than my old one too and a much newer design. I’ve tried with and without overclocking, makes no difference. Just doesn’t make sense to me that an upgraded system would perform worse than an old outdated weaker system. And yes all drivers are up to date, I’ve run multiple stress tests and everything passes with flying colors. My processor is barely working at all while playing and occasionally my vid card will max out but it usually sits around 70%.

Just to note:
I have tried the suggested “fixes” in the stickies on the forums, as well as most fixes I could find on Google. I managed to squeeze out a minuscule 2 more fps….Something is definitely wrong here

Well if your stuck with that as your system you can try to speed things up by killing background processes or adjusting windows settings to a lower less straining setup. To tell you the truth I have found that a program called game booster helped me emencly in both performance and framerate. The company also makes gaming peripherals too so thats a plus :-) here is a link / http://goo.gl/NrUCRl Hope it helps. Dont worry it is a free program.

(edited by kelleyevans.1509)

Druss.6917

when only considering gw2, your new system is actually worse than your old one.

The gt610 is significantly weaker than than a 5570 and has about the same power as the integrated graphics

For single thread centric processes (like gw2) the piledriver based fx6300 could be argued to be weaker than a 10h based athlon II x4

OK as for the graphics card I’m looking at it running right now and the memory and core clocks are nearly double what my old 5570 were (and I can o/c it even higher if I wanted to) so I can’t see how that could be it, but as for GW2 only using single threads….kitten that makes a WHOLE lot more sense now. It means that it’s only utilizing at most half my processor which in a processor intensive game like this would explain a lot…… well kitten me…..

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

So just to start things off your old video card is rated much better http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-5570-vs-GeForce-GT-610 than your new one. (The guy at Microcenter lied to you) GPU’s are not primarily based on their clock speed like CPU. Also as dodgy said your new CPU is designed towards multitasking not as much towards single thread processing. However I doubt that matters since Guild Wars has been updated to take advantage of all the core available from your CPU.
I would compare your FSB (front side bus) speeds believe it or not this can make a HUGE difference on your CPU. Also what are your RAM speeds and brand? Cheap or lower end RAM does not perform as well even if you double the size? Also what kind of HD (Hard Drive) are you using? A cheap 5,200 RPM hard disk could be your delimeter. Upgrading to a Solid State or Hybrid drive is best although a 7,200 or 10k RPM drive would give a bit of improvement.

Last if you rebuilt your machine did you do a fresh install of Windows (I assume) if not you should have done that. Residual drivers and programs from the old build can sometimes cause issues with a complete overhaul such as you described.

My recommendations are first return the Nvidia card and keep your old ATI one (especially if you can use the CCC to open their software overclock) Second format your Hard Drive and reinstall windows (make sure it’s x64) and install all the drivers for your new components from their respective CD’s or manufacturers’ websites.

If that doesn’t fix it I would evaluate very carefully all of the components you bought. I once had a wireless PCI card that was cause a stupid amount of CPU interrupts that was killing my performance. I removed the card and the machine purred again.

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Druss.6917

Is this a typo? The GT 610 is an extremely weak card mostly meant to enable light office work and media playback on machines that lack an integrated GPU.

You’re looking at the card only and not the data transfer rate the board is capable of, my old board was a whole generation behind this new one and couldn’t touch the transfer rate of this one so it wasn’t utilizing the whole power of that card anyway. On paper though, this card should be able to play this game fine, but since I do still have my old card I’ll prob see if I can swap it out even though the fan on it is non-functional anymore :/ I still don’t think the card is the whole issue though, if it was the card would be maxed out all the time. It seems to be the poor optimizing of the game since my processor is basically napping while I play…..

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

its not just about clock speeds. the 5570 has 5 times the memory bandwidth, 3 times the pixel rate, 2 times the texture rate, 10 times the shading units and 1.5 times the texture units. Expected performance over the 610 is ideally 2-5 times more powerful.

Although it may be a 600 series card, the 610 is actually rebranded gt 510, which itself was a rebranded 420. which makes it the same generation as a 5570. Only 640 and higher are actually keplar gpus

As for your motherboard, the pci bus version is irrelevant. The athlon II x4 chip set supported pcie 2.1×16 which has more than enough speed to support modern top end video cards. A low end card from a few generations ago has no chance of maxing out the pcie bandwidth on your old board.

[ICoa] Blackgate

Druss.6917

Well I swapped back in my old 5570 card anyway and the lag is mildly better, but considering the game won’t utilize my full processor I’m still not getting good numbers. I guess this will just be a band-aid fix for now…

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

It’s true that the game doesn’t benefit much from more than 3 CPU cores, but it still requires a decent video card to run; you’re almost certainly more limited by GPU than CPU performance.

Does the game’s framerate change significantly when you lower the screen resolution and/or the “render sampling” setting?

If so, you’re probably limited by the 5570. It is getting a bit old; probably has about 10% of a top tier (single GPU) card’s performance at this point.

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

Buy new GPU at least R7 250 .. i recommend you R7 250X or 7790/R7 260+

Then download fix for amd CPUs on win7 – it helps a lot

Posted by: squalus.8549

squalus.8549

imho is not a problem of your new system specification but the anet server. Have a pc that never had a lag so big during pvp. Think the cause is the massive players that have started pvp……

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

sorry but he is using GT 610… thats slower than intel HD 4600

Druss.6917

I checked out the R7’s and found one I can afford so I’m prog going to go with that. My old card is running a tad better than that nvidia pile of garbage, but with the fan on it not working (it’s a problem with the card itself, it won’t send power to the fan connector) I don’t want to run it forever. I have a pci bay ehxaust fan on it right now and it’s surviving lol. Are there any ways to force the game to utilize all of my processors cores? because right now it barely uses them at all and I think that’s part of my issue. I have win 8.1 too, so don’t think I need that cpu fix you mentioned, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

I checked out the R7’s and found one I can afford so I’m prog going to go with that. My old card is running a tad better than that nvidia pile of garbage, but with the fan on it not working (it’s a problem with the card itself, it won’t send power to the fan connector) I don’t want to run it forever. I have a pci bay ehxaust fan on it right now and it’s surviving lol. Are there any ways to force the game to utilize all of my processors cores? because right now it barely uses them at all and I think that’s part of my issue. I have win 8.1 too, so don’t think I need that cpu fix you mentioned, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Get a R7-260X or HD7790. Do not buy any of the other R7’s available. they are not worth the investment. You can find a HD7790 or R7-260x (same card, actually) between 99-129bucks.

In your Bios for the FX6300, disable the 2nd core per module. That helps boost FX performance with GW2 more then anything else. it comes down to how the FX series is designed with how the 2 cores share the same IC, L1/L2 Cache, and IO. GW2 being single threaded Pushes the FX series harder then intel due to this design. So disabling the 2nd core per module in the BIOS actually helps the FX be able to handle what GW2 pushes at it better.

BUT, the FX is still 50-70% weaker then Intel’s I-series CPUs when it comes to single threaded performance. So dont expect super high sustained FPS with that AMD CPU.

I would recommend replacing the FX6300 you got with a i3-3000 or i3-4000 series CPU+MB, as you will get better performance then you can ever hope to get with any of the AMD line for CPUs.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Druss.6917

I went with the 260×. I wish I had known before that I could have called the company for an upgraded card and they would have put this one in…but it never mentioned upgrades. Luckily I gave them a sob story and they agreed to upgrade to this one for me for about half the price the card usually runs so I’m happy now. I’ll try what you suggested for the cpu, because I reached my limit for entertainment spending for a while lol. I might gut my old system and start slowly building a new one over time that can is actually optimized to run this game. At least I can play other games on this system I have now really well, just wish GW2 was as cleanly optimized