Minimum requirements check

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

My girlfriend’s getting a new laptop in a week or so, and we’re buying her Guild Wars 2 in advance due to the sale. I’m certain she’s going to meet the system requirements for it with that laptop, however:

The computer she’s using at the moment has a graphics card with only 128MB of dedicated video RAM – the store page says the game requires 256MB but I’m wondering if the game would at least install and run, even badly and on minimum settings? We’re really hoping she’ll get to see the Super Adventure Box before it disappears, because she certainly won’t be getting her new laptop before the end of April.

We’ll end up finding out tomorrow anyways, but I’d like to know sooner rather than after she’s already downloaded the game.

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

I would suggest try it and see. You can buy a license key, load the game client on the old to test then download the client again when the new laptop arrives. However, she might get the black screen or client refuse to load since the older laptop is below minimum spec. Usually the minimum specs are posted as a guide to the consumer to let you know that the developer tested the game to load and run at the minimum spec listed on the box. Anything below the “bare” minimum usually does not work.

Posted by: TopBadge.3569

TopBadge.3569

It won’t run at all on that.

(edited by TopBadge.3569)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

First off, GW2 doesn’t install itself on subpar pcs. Whether that’s a good or bad thing is up for debate.

Second, what GPU is your significant other using, since the type says more than the meaningless dedicated ram (which is often used to confuse customers)

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

There are more important things to look at than how much graphics ram u have.

For a laptop i would sugets the following specs.

CPU: Intel 3630QM
GPU: Nvidia 660m

Those to main specs shuld allow GW to run mainly on medium settings. WvW will still slow though. You shouldnt go lower on the CPU, but u can get away with a slower GPU like a 560m or 650m, u would have to run GW2 on Low settings though with maybe a few setitngso n medium.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |