Models, IP + UA agreements in fan work

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I figured I’d ask before anything ill fated were to occur such as a ban (or worse!).

My current issue is wanting to ideally create animated 3D shorts (being an animator), involving GW2 in a sort of fan base sort of way. Be it tell a story or otherwise. My dilemma however is regarding the agreements and the content its regarded. I already know that IF everything was accepted, I wouldn’t be able to claim any sort of personal ownership of any of the material. I’m fine with that.
I’m also looking to do this as a non-profit, so no personal monetization in either regard.

However, I’m not sure if EITHER of the methods of me doing so is acceptable under Anet’s agreements. So its mostly why I’ve decided to inquire before following through, unfortunately I didn’t know who to really contact regarding the issue.

Anyways onto possible method 1;

Most software interacting with the game is generally prohibited from what I’ve read. However accuracy to the GW2 style is my main goal in that regard, which is really only obtainable from the game itself. Due to the many issues regarding the methods I figured ripping such would be the most unlikely choice of the two, but would yield the best results in making it.
I’m not really counting on this being acceptable, but if there was a way to make it so, I’d be glad to work such out.

My other method (#2) was simply attempting to recreate the style from scratch using my own skills to model, texture, rig and animate. Avoids tampering directly with any part of the game. As time consuming as it is, I’d certainly do it if it was the only course of action allowed.
However, even for this method, i’m not sure what copyright issues I’d fall under doing so (or maybe even other issues I’m not aware of).

I’m not really all that strong in regards to legal stuff, so always best to inquire. My current desire at the moment is to do fan content for such a game. I just don’t want to step on any toes whilst doing it.

Sorry for the long winded post, tried to keep it somewhat short even. ^..^;;

Duty is heavier than death.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure if you have already perused this, but this page is where those inquiring about fan art, etc. are usually sent: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-content-terms-of-use/

Good luck.