Mouse camera going haywire... how to fix?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Caspira.7124

Caspira.7124

I just started playing earlier, and then I logged in a little later, and all of the sudden the mouse camera goes crazy when I try to adjust the view. I thought it was my mouse, so I unplugged it and just used my touchpad. Turns out it’s both. I tried restarting my computer, as well as restarting the client twice. What should I do? It’s making the game very difficult to play, especially in combat.

Posted by: Benedictus.9042

Benedictus.9042

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (?), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the start-up sound for the second time.
5. Release the keys.
NOTE – Resetting NVRAM/PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.

Caspira.7124

This won’t harm my computer at all, will it? I JUST bought it. Literally like two days ago. So, I’m fairly protective over it… And the mouse only goes haywire when I try to reposition the camera. And it works fine on all other programs.

Posted by: Kioshi.6597

Kioshi.6597

It will not harm it, but weirdly, I had the very same problem the first time I launched the game. However after a restart it was fine. Try another mouse too. It doesn’t mean that the mouse isn’t good but something in the setting isn’t right. Resetting like previous comment said might fix this.

Caspira.7124

I tried it, but it didn’t work. P + R + Command + Option. It restarted, did the sound twice, and nothing changed. It’s making the game unplayable.

It’s my touchpad AND my mouse. I’m on a brand new late 2013 MBP with a 2.6 ghz hard drive. Should I try playing it on a bootcamp partition instead? Or should I reinstall the game?

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi Caspira,

I would like to run a repair on your game installation to make sure that the issue you are experience isn’t due to a corrupt file(s). To make this report, please do the following:

1 Click on the “Finder” icon located in your dock or the desktop of your computer to make “Finder” the active program in the Finder menu bar.

2 Click on “Go” in the Finder menu bar. A dropdown will appear.

3 Click on "Utilities.”

4 Once in the “Utilities” folder click on the Terminal.app.

5 Copy and paste the following line into the terminal:

applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

6. Click ”Enter.”

This should initiate the repair process on the client. Please allow the process to complete and once it is done, close out of terminal, log into your account, and see if the issue persists.

Hope this helps!

Caspira.7124

Okay. Screwing with the mouse tracking speed seemed to help. I’m not sure if it’ll come back again, but for now, things are good.

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Sounds good! Be sure to keep us updated.

Caspira.7124

It said there’s no such file or directory when I copy and pasted it. :/ Yeah, it keeps happening. I just adjust the mouse sensitivity every time I log in now.

Posted by: fizzle.6784

fizzle.6784

I was having the exact same problem. I’m on a new macbook as well, trying to get this working with the basic logitech mouse I’ve been using on bootcamp gw2. When I first tried to play on mac, the camera would go crazy, wildly spinning around, with left and right reversed.

I managed to get it to work by futzing around with the camera via the trackpad. When I switched back to the mouse it was working. The camera is still a little bit wonky compared to windows, wanting to spin around more.

Maybe this can help the devs diagnose the problem or at least help anyone else get their mouse working.

Posted by: J Night.3468

J Night.3468

this is a mouse acceleration issue that’s been around since the mac client was first released. it happens to me whenever i “log out” in game instead of exitting, then logging back in. instead of doing that if i wanted to relog, i’d just quit the game entirely then start it up again.

Embrace the darkness..

Posted by: Abadyn.2907

Abadyn.2907

Yeah, I’ve been having this problem over the last year – well since I started playing (9-12 months ago) – 3 different Macs, 4 different mice. We don’t do anything special as far as how we log off or swap characters. The problem comes and goes randomly. Shutting down the game sometimes solves it, other times it takes a reboot or three. My account or my daughter’s – seems to matter not. It looks like the vertical axis sensitivity suddenly spikes and all you can do is look up (or down), and spin in place. Come on guys – fix this!

Just wanted you to have more documentation…

- year old 27" iMac
- 3 yr old 27"iMac
- year old MacBook Pro
all three current Mac O/S – Mavericks
3 different Logitech mice, G500, G400, G5 – no custom presets or user sets defined.

(edited by Abadyn.2907)

Posted by: Rocham Beaux.9176

Rocham Beaux.9176

I have tried resetting the PRAM as well as the SMC and also repaired the client installation with no success but have found a work around that seems to work every time.
What I have been doing is after logging into the game and getting to the character select screen I will minimize the client and simply click anywhere on the desktop and then maximize the game client again. This seems to resolve it until the next time I reboot or relaunch the game client.

Posted by: Hales.4582

Hales.4582

I just wanted to quickly reply as this happens to me all the time. I’m sure many of the posted “fixes” work but for me I simply command tab to desktop, command back to GW 2 and its all fine (in fullscreen mode, no need to go to windowed mode)

I’ve only run the client on Mavericks but I’d be surprised if the command tab dance didn’t work on other versions as well.

I’m in the habit of checking by rotating the toon in character selection these days to take care of the problem before I log a character in.

Posted by: Maeryne.1740

Maeryne.1740

I have the same problem on a new Macbook Pro. Command-Tab works around the issue, but I haven’t found a fix yet. Logitech Anywhere MX mouse.

Posted by: AbraXus.6870

AbraXus.6870

Same problem here. But the workaround works for me too. Command-Tab for president!

Posted by: dexter.5190

dexter.5190

To get the copied line of script to actually find the correct directory/folder I needed to add a forward slash in front of it all and to change the dash in front of ‘use-dos-cwd’ from long (—) to short (-):

/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider -use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

If you copy/paste that into Terminal and hit enter, it should download and run a file called ‘tgUpdate version 1.11’, after which the client login screen should appear with a ‘Verifying Archive…’ progress bar at the bottom.

Once the archive finished verifying, I launched the game and had no problems with the mouse.

When I went back to look at terminal afterwards, this is what was left in the console:

2013-11-26 12:27:49.931 cider[599:507] failed to launch task: launch path not accessible
2013-11-26 12:43:15.768 cider[599:507] setPresentationOptions called with NSApplicationPresentationFullScreen when there is no visible fullscreen window; this call will be ignored.
fixme:crt:__clean_type_info_names_internal stub! {addr = 0×7ab7c410}

I hope this has resolved the issue permanently.

Posted by: Charait.8693

Charait.8693

To get the copied line of script to actually find the correct directory/folder I needed to add a forward slash in front of it all and to change the dash in front of ‘use-dos-cwd’ from long (—) to short (-):

/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider -use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

If you copy/paste that into Terminal and hit enter, it should download and run a file called ‘tgUpdate version 1.11’, after which the client login screen should appear with a ‘Verifying Archive…’ progress bar at the bottom.

Once the archive finished verifying, I launched the game and had no problems with the mouse.

When I went back to look at terminal afterwards, this is what was left in the console:

2013-11-26 12:27:49.931 cider[599:507] failed to launch task: launch path not accessible
2013-11-26 12:43:15.768 cider[599:507] setPresentationOptions called with NSApplicationPresentationFullScreen when there is no visible fullscreen window; this call will be ignored.
fixme:crt:__clean_type_info_names_internal stub! {addr = 0×7ab7c410}

I hope this has resolved the issue permanently.

It did not (

Posted by: Sikotics.7392

Sikotics.7392

Easy way to fix for me is click off the screen if you are playing in windowed mode then click back. Tends to do the trick.

Posted by: Cleverwater.4087

Cleverwater.4087

Hi everyone.

I picked up the game over black Friday after some lengthy considerations since all I have to play on is my Mac. Fortunately, with the exception of the mouse issue, the game has performed very well for me on my 2012 MacBook Air (i7 2.0 8GB RAM HD4000).

I ran the terminal repair command but camera spinning will occasionally go haywire even after the fix. Fortunately, the Command-Tab fix works every time.

Posted by: Charait.8693

Charait.8693

Easy way to fix for me is click off the screen if you are playing in windowed mode then click back. Tends to do the trick.

This way helps every time, strange that I didnt have this issue before cleaning preference folder.

Posted by: Rigami.3761

Rigami.3761

Logged in this morning to get the exact same issue. If you CMD-Tab out it resets, but the reset can go in the opposite direction (goes too slow). If I leave it windowed and click on desktop/back it works fine.

Also I can no longer weapon switch using § . Nothing I am aware of has changed on the machine.

Ran Verify. Completed and still the same issue. Only message in the Terminal.

2013-12-01 08:46:51.782 cider[584:507] failed to launch task: launch path not accessible

(edited by Rigami.3761)

Posted by: Rigami.3761

Rigami.3761

Further playing around, it looks to me the issue is with Cider/Transgaming components and not the GW2 client as such.

During the tinkering I also broke my install. So reinstalling from scratch again.

Posted by: Wolfster.8251

Wolfster.8251

I just started playing earlier, and then I logged in a little later, and all of the sudden the mouse camera goes crazy when I try to adjust the view. I thought it was my mouse, so I unplugged it and just used my touchpad. Turns out it’s both. I tried restarting my computer, as well as restarting the client twice. What should I do? It’s making the game very difficult to play, especially in combat.

This tends to happen if you log out and back in. Usually quitting the game completely and restarting it will fix the problem.

Posted by: Royce Melborn.3276

Royce Melborn.3276

This problem happens a lot to me as well. Logging out doesn’t fix it but restarting the client always works for me.

Ruins of Surmia (EU)
[Jd] Jam Death
“Work, Hustle, Kill”

Posted by: sabbatic.9513

sabbatic.9513

I played fine without this issue for many months earlier this year, until I took a few months off and decided to start playing again. I was accustomed to the other issue of the movement getting stuck, but the camera always worked fine. Now, as soon as I try to do any mouse looking in the old way (right click and pan with track ball), the camera flips out and soon has me looking down at the top of my head. If I try to readjust, the camera just rotates from that POV.
It may be an issue with Mavericks and/or the latest client build. It surely doesn’t have anything to do with the PRAM, so the firmware reset suggested above is pointless.
I’ve played around with all the in game camera options, and it changes nothing. I can’t really see resetting my mouse sensitivity to 1/2 or 1/4 before game launch.
If it’s true that no one is working on the Mac Client anymore, problems like this are just going to multiply. It’s unfortunate. Calling the Mac Client a Beta has always been a rhetorical trick rather than a proper use of the term. Having taken our money and become bored, I guess it’s time for Mac users to start wrapping up and moving on.

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

I get this error constantly when I open the game the trick of putting GWII into windowed mode clicking out into the desktop then returning to full screen fixes it flawlessly for me somehow….

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Posted by: Cleverwater.4087

Cleverwater.4087

Since I’ve determined that Windowed mode in 1280×800 is smoother than Fullscreen in the same resolution, it’s easier to just click the desktop and fix the mouse issue.

It’s still annoying but it saves me from using Command+Tab. I’ve never seen a game run better windowed than fullscreen. Bizarre!

On a side note: Does Transgaming Cider support Mavericks yet? Are we sure this is ArenaNet not paying for the newer version of Cider to run their game?

I’m speculating that ArenaNet pays a fee to Transgaming to lease the technology in order to give us the Mac client, so, like most SaaS vendors Transgaming probably wants a payment in order for us to have the latest version (supporting Mavericks).

Come on ArenaNet – pay for the upgrade already!

Posted by: Yaderf.7156

Yaderf.7156

I have had this problem before and restarting the client has worked for me in the past. But since the new update the crazy mouse is back on my computer. Simply doing COM+TAB has worked perfectly for me for the time being until its fixed

Posted by: lepb.8923

lepb.8923

Cmd+Tab works for me too. The problem only showed up after the patch this last Friday for me, but it sounds like it’s been happening for awhile. I’ve been having a lot of non GW2 problems since Mavericks upgrade too though.

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

I’ve been playing for years now without a problem. After the last patch, I got insane camera spinning going crazy problems. Gotta be a bug in this last patch. Really annoying. Please fix! What’s weird is that it happens in the log in too when you try to rotate your characters. They spin super fast. Makes the game unplayable.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I am finding the following helpful to fix the “camera gone nuts” issue:

Command+tab out of GW2.
Click on browser (or any other active application).
Command+tab back to GW2.

Hope this helps others.

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

Command+tab out of GW2.
Command+tab back to GW2.

Hope this helps others.

Worked! Praise bear!

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

Posted by: Felicja.6891

Felicja.6891

Please try the fix in this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/TgUpdate-1-11-everytime-i-open-the-launcher/page/2#post3394514

Reason for edit: the previous URL provided was not to the correct message.

It seems to have fixed the issue you are describing.

(edited by Felicja.6891)

Posted by: das moran fool.1072

das moran fool.1072

Posted by: philb.6725

philb.6725

Command + tab while in game works a treat! not a fix but a simple, easy and quick solution and you are back into the game

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

the command repair worked perfectly for me thank you all for help

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

After re runing the game the error continous i think it has something to do whit the updater. It dowloads some stuff every time.

Posted by: Skroo.1560

Skroo.1560

Command+tab out of GW2.
Command+tab back to GW2.

Hope this helps others.

This would be a more acceptable kludge if the gamma still didn’t reset to 1.0 every time you tab out of the game and come back.

Skroo [POV][ROLL] – Yak’s Bend

Posted by: mnrunner.4832

mnrunner.4832

These fixes no longer work for me across sessions.

The “terminal repair” worked like a charm for me for months. But now I need to run the repair and enter game immediately to see any relief. The next time I log in, I need to run the repair again.