Movement keys sticking/locking

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

The problem: very infrequently (twice a week) while strafing the strafe will get locked and keep going after I let go of the key. It unlocks if I press the key again, but it’s still mildly annoying if you’re trying to do a jump puzzle and walk off the cliff due to a bug (this happened once. all other times are trivial). This has been happening since first getting the beta version (I had it on bootcamp before that but never noticed this – it was only for a couple days). It always happens when I release the strafe key: I strafe (either momentarily or for a length of time), let go, character continues to strafe as if I didn’t let go. It does not just happen during fights, sometimes while just running somewhere (though there is less strafeing during this time, so less chance it will happen)

More info: I’m running on a Mac Pro, mac wired keyboard. All software is up-to-date. I re-maped the left and right strafe to s and f, and I turned off the double-tap to dodge. No other keys have ever got stuck, and I never have problems with those particular keys outside of guild wars. My client is very bug-free aside from this (it did crash several times during the Lost Shores event, but that’s the only time in the last 6 weeks it’s crashed)

Also: During some bosses in HotM, a similar thing seems to also happen for a short time… anything I was doing will get stuck for like ~2 seconds (standing still, running, strafe, shooting) and I couldn’t do anything else. It kept happening during specific boss fights, so I thought it was an ability of the boss similar to fear. Too short of a duration to mouse over any conditions that were on me.

Before now I just figured someone else would report it and it’d get fixed, but I couldn’t find another thread about it.
has anyone else had this problem? is there a solution besides remapping the keys?
Thanks

Posted by: Unbroken.3614

Unbroken.3614

I experience this as well, usually during intense battle. I just assumed it was some quirk of my KVM, and now I’m not so sure. I have remapped most of my keys. Standard wasd movement rather than the GW2 default. I also disabled double-tap to dodge.

Sebastian Winters [DIS] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Talbot.7461

Talbot.7461

i’m on a pc, but i was able to reliably reproduce this in FotM by pushing F while strafing.

previously, movement hasn’t been a problem for me before but my skill buttons (1-0) get stuck all the time. the keypress animation plays repeatedly and if i hit it again it may not actually work.

(edited by Talbot.7461)

Mystic.5934

oh, that sounds like it might be it. I remapped interact to shift. It could be the case that it gets pressed while strafing (maybe while trying to press ‘a’ or ‘z’). I’ll see this is the case when I get home.

Mystic.5934

So this was not the case. I tried repeatedly to produce this using shift (interact) when nothing was there to interact with and strafe never got stuck.

Posted by: Engel Angel.9076

Engel Angel.9076

I get this bug as well: sometimes the movement keys will get “stuck” (I mapped mine to the up, down, left, right arrows). The character will just keep going in a direction as if I was still pressing the key (no matter the direction, strafing L and R, but forward and backward too). sometimes just pressing once a move key again will fix it, but most of the time, if I am stuck going, say, left, and I press, say, forward, my character will go forward, but will go back left as soon as I let go of forward. The only way to make it stop in that case is to double-tap a move key to make it stop (activating “dodge” move)
Not really game-breaking, as it only takes a dodge to debug it, but as mentioned above, there are a few times where it makes things dangerous (like say, in a fight, where wasting a dodge could mean the difference between winning and losing, or on ledges or high places, where…well, seems kinda obvious :P)

For info, I run an up-to-date Lion on an iMac 27", 3.4Ghz, 16GB, HD6970M 2048MB
…But I’m fairly sure it’s a GW2 bug, not a computer one.

“A single picture is worth a thousand words”

Posted by: Ceribis.8104

Ceribis.8104

While I haven’t had this happen in game (yet) I’ve definitely had this happen in other games and just system wide. I always attributed it to the fact that most keyboards can only send 2-3 keystrokes to the computer before the signals get ‘crossed’ and don’t behave correctly. In those cases a key gets stuck. I’ve found that I need to normally hit something like control+stuck-key to get it behaving correctly.

Normally happens during big fights where I’m trying to get a lot of skills off quickly and I end up pressing keys too quickly or holding them down longer than I should. It hasn’t been nearly as much of a problem since I got my Razer Naga since I activate most of my skills from the mouse and use the keyboard for movement/looting only. Far less keys being pressed on they keyboard and the issues hasn’t cropped up for a long time.

Keeghan – Sylvari Mesmer – Jade Quarry

Mystic.5934

I do find it happens more during fights. I realize I pretty much hold down right click the whole time because I’m constantly on the move (and using dodge).
It happened several times last night. maybe 5 times in 3 hours. all on intense fights.
I’m skeptical about the too many buttons at once theory – wouldn’t the button just not work instead of get stuck on?

Ceribis.8104

I do find it happens more during fights. I realize I pretty much hold down right click the whole time because I’m constantly on the move (and using dodge).
It happened several times last night. maybe 5 times in 3 hours. all on intense fights.
I’m skeptical about the too many buttons at once theory – wouldn’t the button just not work instead of get stuck on?

It depends on how the hardware interprets the signal after it’s weakened and then returns. It’s one of the reasons why gaming keyboards call out how many simultaneous keys can be pressed at one time without any issues.

Mystic.5934

oh that is cool! never knew keyboards had that limit. on the mac at work, it looks like I’m able to press 6 keys at once and all the letters appear. 7 and higher and much less appears (0-5). I’ll test my keyboard at home when I get there.
I take it that mouse buttons (in addition to the left/right click) would not be included in this limit?

Ceribis.8104

oh that is cool! never knew keyboards had that limit. on the mac at work, it looks like I’m able to press 6 keys at once and all the letters appear. 7 and higher and much less appears (0-5). I’ll test my keyboard at home when I get there.
I take it that mouse buttons (in addition to the left/right click) would not be included in this limit?

It’s all about signal over the wire so it shouldn’t as long as your mouse isn’t plugged into the keyboard. Not sure what would happen in that case.

Mystic.5934

mouse and keyboard are both plugged into monitor, which is then plugged into computer.
I have had issues before where the monitor’s built-in iSight doesn’t work if the 3rd USB port on the monitor also has something in it, so I always keep that open.
When I test it tonight, I’ll see how many keys I can press at once, and how many I can press while holding mouse buttons.

Mystic.5934

Guild Wars computer at home can recognize 4-5 keys at a time (depending on combination), doesn’t matter what mouse buttons are pressed.
I’m sure I could be pressing forward, strafe, 1 spell. I couldn’t imagine pressing more than 3 keys, definitely not more than 4 (only 4 fingers; I don’t usually use thumb=jump during battles)

Posted by: otherworld.4012

otherworld.4012

I was battling this the whole time I was playing tonight. While in combat I would just stay in one place, and my character would not move, no matter how many times I pressed the keys. She’ll get stuck as I’m turning around, and I"ll have to press the key more than once to get her to move. If I’m running she will randomly dodge and roll (not great when you’re up high!). I’ve had this happen before, but not to this extent. My wireless keyboard is at full charge, everything is updated, and I’ve even messed with the sensitivity of the keys. I hope this gets fixed.

Posted by: EeZeE.8261

EeZeE.8261

Pressing 4 or more keys is not the issue here, at least not in my case.

I run into this issue most often during Fractals when I’m running towards a particular item to pick up.

If I do not let go of my movement keys before I press “F”, my character will just keep on running, only stopping after I hit my movement keys again.
No casting/jumping/dodging is going on during this.

So, I can move forward+strafe+jump+dodge without issue, but I can’t move+strafe+"interact with item" without running into this issue.

Gabriel Ironfist
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Yes, number of simultaneous key presses is unlikely to be the culprit, or this issue would appear on both Windows and OSX. It only seems to be a problem on the Mac client though.

Posted by: Dan.5416

Dan.5416

So does anyone have any workaround on this issue? It’s really annoying..
It seems that sometimes system just “miss” key up action and keep thinking key is pressed.
Also it looks like global a Mac OS problem connected to the way system processing keyboard signals, cause same issue I can see in other games.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

This is an engine bug overall. Only way to fix it is to press the key that is repeating again.

Posted by: Futile.7614

Futile.7614

I hope this is fixed soon. I have also encountered the same issue. Will connecting a different keyboard help or is it still more of a Mac issue?