My laptop runs GW2 better than my desktop?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Shade.1234

Shade.1234

Hey guys, I have a question I hope to have answered. I remember played GW2 since launch, and that was around the time I got my new desktop PC (obviously not so new anymore). My question is why there might be such a radical difference in fps between my desktop and laptop? My laptop, running medium to high settings, sits around 30-35ish FPS in the new HoT maps (aka full of players and explosions). My desktop, on the other hand, in the same places and graphics settings, runs at about 10 fps. Anyone know why this could be?

For clarity, here are the specs of my two devices:
Laptop
Processor: Intel Octocore (8 things pop up, dunno if that’s right) i7-4710 2.5GHz (I don’t think it has any overclocking, its a Lenovo computer)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860M

Desktop
Processor : Intel Quadcore i5 3570, 3.4 (overclocked to 4.4, its a custom built rig)
Graphics card: AMD Raedon HD 6900 series.

Any thoughts or ideas? I just think its weird my desktop does EVERYTHING better than my laptop ‘except’ for playing GW2.

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

I had a similar problem recently when I changed my graphic card. This might help if you have 2 PCI express port on your board. I had mistakenly place the new card in a 4x slot and saw 10-20 fps. After fiddling around abit, I removed the card and placed it in the 16x slot. Got heaps better fps after that.

Posted by: Shade.1234

Shade.1234

Hmmm, I don’t believe I should have a problem like that. At launch, my computer ran GW2 just fine. Granted, its been three years and things change, game-wise, my computer remains identical, minus the wear of time.